Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

350z orrrr s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NGZ
I had to make the same difficult decision of S2K vs 350Z. The S2K is a technical car and tough to drive well. But in its powerband, it is an exhilarating ride. Imagine the top down on a twisty road with the S2K's light weight, crazy handling, slick shifter and its motor wailing. However a couple of reasons why I ultimately chose the Z are: her looks, because I don't really fancy convertibles, and because of the kinds of roads I would be driving on most of the time.
Yea thats definitely an accurate review of them. The Z is far easier to drive hard and fast, is more forgiving at its limits and seems to let you know when you're close to your limits.

The S demands you pay attention to driving and thats it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Yea thats definitely an accurate review of them. The Z is far easier to drive hard and fast, is more forgiving at its limits and seems to let you know when you're close to your limits.

The S demands you pay attention to driving and thats it.
So you finally stopped saying the S is faster, huh? Btw, when are you gonna drag race with me, man? A few people are going down on the 23rd. And for April 6th, I "challenged" somebody to race me, so I'll be there again that night. You should make at least one of those nights.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM
cubu

i've never been to the track, what are costs like? i'd like to go one of these days
Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

street Racing, track racing, weekend warrior on fun roads, or daily driver. It all depends on what you want. I came down to three cars actually when choosing. The S2K, 350Z, and the RX8. They all had their plusses and for a weekend fun ride, none had real bad minuses. The S was actually in the top billing because it IMHO at first had the look and ride for a weekender like I wanted, mind you I had not actually driven the Z but had driven a G and thought I had Nissan covered. I was about to pull the trigger when my girlfriend suggested to try the Z out before making up my mind. When I pulled up and saw the red roadster sitting on the lot, the earth tilted. After I drove the ZR it stayed tilted. Obviously I bought the Z (different choice grom a G) and when I found the Lemans oh man.

Now is it faster than a S2000. Don't know because not really into all out street racing though have had hard sporting runs on all kinds of roads with various cars including the S, G, STI, EVO and the RX8. Was mine the fastest?????? Who knows but we all had fun with our cars and no one was being left behind. Yes a Z is faster in a straight line than a RX8 and a S2k in my opinion but supposedly can't run with an EVO. The fact is noone was putting car lengths on anybody before a turn or another car came up. Enjoy what you like. Buy a car that fulfills whatever it is in you that needs stroking. Most of all enjoy your car because if you are so hung up on what beats what, I guarantee you will always be able to find something that will blow your doors off.

Last edited by Sunset350ZR; 03-13-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
350Z_LEE

Originally Posted by NT350z
Yea I do notice more girls roll down their windows to say "hot car!" and stuff like that when im sitting in my friend's S.

-Mike
Because it is a ***** car
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by cubu
i've never been to the track, what are costs like? i'd like to go one of these days
Why don't you join me and a few other members on here on 23rd of this month or on April 6th? To race all night is $15, and $10 for spectating (waste of money). To me, it's addicting. Not many Zs from DFW area race and the ones that seldom do are about average (until they practice more), so I just compete against my own time, but it's still pretty damn fun.

BTW, the drag race rankings (link to thread in my sig) of the members on this forum is a good incentive.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 03-13-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
cubu

from what time-time are you guys out there? im down, just got some new rims and tires and wanna see what i can put down
Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

https://my350z.com/forum/meet-ups-events-texas/252737-dfw-drag-race-day-in-march.html

If you're coming on the 23rd of March, then doors open at 6pm, racing from 7pm-12am.
If on April 6th, then doors open at 8pm, racing from 9pm-2am.

Most guys will probably leave earlier than the closing time. And I might leave with them, but when I'm there by myself, I stay until they close.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
2006_350gt

Honestly I love the Z's and G's, but lately I have had an infactuation with people getting these older year s2k's and doing LS-engine swaps with the money they had left over from not buying a new one. If you are getting bored with you Z then ditch it for something else. But if you are still happy with it then hold on to it till you are able to answer the question of trading it in for something else can be answered by yourself.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
enigmadsm

im beating on a dead horse but they are both amazing cars!!!!
I own an S2k, and have borrowed my buddy's Z many times.

I have contemplated MANY times getting rid of my S for the Z...NOT because its "faster" or looks better or anything, only because there is much more room in the cabin, and it is more tolerable to drive on a daily basis.
oh and the wind noise in a s2000 is TERRIBLE! but i love verts..

i will say that i have only lost to ONE 350z/G35 in my car when i was stock...
we were dead even until 90 and then he proceeded to walk away....he had intake mani, plenum, utec, headers, cat back, intake....i would expect it to pull me!

I ran a 13.83 bone stock trapping 101mph...I drove my buddy's Z and ran a 13.88 at 100mph bone stock

I will say, the s2k is MUCH more difficult to drive, whoever said its easier to launch because of less torque is simply retarted....I've raced with MANY different cars and the s2000 is by FAR the most difficult car i have ever launched.
you try and keep the rev's above 6k rpm without smoking the tires, and not bogging like noones business. I had a 340whp srt4 and i'd rather launch that thing ANYDAY

they are really 2 different cars, both great in their own ways. i would be equally happy with either...i've had a mental debate with myself the past 6 months on which one to have hahahaahaha.

oh yah, to the guy who wants to race any n/a s2k...too bad you are in dallas man...i'd run ya just for ****s and giggles...I now have a single exit exhaust, vafc and a drop in.
I dont think i'd run a 13.2 like in your sig....but i think i could hit maybe a 13.3-13.4....its noticably quicker.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by enigmadsm
oh yah, to the guy who wants to race any n/a s2k...too bad you are in dallas man...i'd run ya just for ****s and giggles...I now have a single exit exhaust, vafc and a drop in.
I dont think i'd run a 13.2 like in your sig....but i think i could hit maybe a 13.3-13.4....its noticably quicker.
That would be me. Whenever you're in Dallas, let me know. I would love to run. Win or lose, it'll still be fun. BTW, that 13.212 was with a sh1tty launch. Too bad I couldn't get a 13.1 that night due to the damn rain/sleet.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
mg350ZR

Prior to getting my 350Z Roadster last year, I was also considering S2000 (and Z4 as well). I test drove all 3 cars back-to-back. My impressions were as follows:

Honda S2000 -
Pros:
- comfortable fit
- cockpit feeling, with all controls within easy reach
- power top opens very quickly
Cons:
- a little tight on interior space (and I am not a large guy)
- have to keep rpms up to get reasonable power out of it
- will probably be somewhat uncomfortable on extended freeway drives
- silly vinyl convertible top cover is a hassle to put on
- digital instrument panel can be hard to see in direct sunlight
- subdued exterior styling

BMW Z4 -
Pros:
- nice exhaust sound
- BMW brand?
Cons:
- questionable ergonomics
- uncomfortably low sitting position
- somewhat bumpy ride on imperfect payment
- strange styling takes a little getting used to

Nissan 350Z Roadster -
Pros:
- plenty of power in every gear
- best compromise between handling and comfortable ride
- great exhaust sound
- comfortable fit in a relatively roomy interior
- best overall styling (in my opinion) and available colors variety
- lots of standard features (best bang-for-the-buck quotient)
- nicely integrated automatic convertible top cover
- lots of available aftermarket accessories
Cons:
- armrest and cup holders positioned a little too far back
- blind spot with the top up, have to rely primarily on mirrors

The best way to make a decision is to drive the cars you're considering back-to-back, and see which one you like better. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 05-01-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
enigmadsm

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
That would be me. Whenever you're in Dallas, let me know. I would love to run. Win or lose, it'll still be fun. BTW, that 13.212 was with a sh1tty launch. Too bad I couldn't get a 13.1 that night due to the damn rain/sleet.
are you on street tires or radials??? you 60ft was 1.89...if you're on street tires, thats not ****ty.

Mine was 1.90...i hate launching those things lmao!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by enigmadsm
are you on street tires or radials??? you 60ft was 1.89...if you're on street tires, thats not ****ty.

Mine was 1.90...i hate launching those things lmao!!!
I was on slicks. That was actually one of my first 3 passes ever on slicks. Care to post up your best time slip for comparison (or PM)?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
enigmadsm

yeah i gotta scan it real quick
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Tubbs

Love S's, love Z's. I've always been a torque man, so went with the Z. It's strange, too. I had an easier time fitting in a Lotus than an S. And if i'm going for a small, non practical car, I'd save up for a Lotus instead. The Z can carry a weeks worth of roadtrip stuff for boy n' girl. Neither the S or Lotus can do that. And I tell ya, that little bit more practicality is nice, since I love multi day roadtrips.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, almost bought an S. I really wanted (want) a roadster and the only ZRs available at the time I made my purchase were ATs. There was a used S on the lot and almost bought it. I love the looks of the S; the build quality of the interior, the convertible top, long-narrow hood, and how there is only one model so you don't get "stop light envy." But then I realized...for all the fancy gadgets of the S, it's still a four cylinder with HP waaay up top in its RPMs. I came from and RX8, and wanted something that performed a little closer to idle than redline--my own preference.

Good luck with your choice, when it all comes down to it it all really depends on what you want and what appeals to you.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
mikez97

this explains alot about those hondas
compared to our 350's
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by mikez97

this explains alot about those hondas
compared to our 350's
Yet a car which hasnt had a bump in HP since its inception can keep up with a car which has received constant power upgrades.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

The S was able to keep up back when the Z's had VQ35DE's. The "bump in HP," which I'm assuming is the revup, wasn't really worth anything as it lost tq and it was slightly slower than the non-revup engines. It was sort of a marketing tactic. Now that the Z has a new engine, VQ35HR, the S cannot keep up any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyp8rfzazg

Quick Reply: 350z orrrr s2000?