Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Custom Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 06:18 PM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I would recommend machining the prototype as opposed to making a resin-based one using SLA (stereolithography). The use of rapid prototype/SLA machines are generally pretty expensive in comparison to traditional machining, and you only see a cost benefit when making a particularly complex piece that would require extensive/complicated material removal.

Another benefit of machining the prototype would be that you can actually install them on your car and use them as intended. Obviously for manufacturing, casting would be the way to go though.

Good luck with the project. Seems like a good undertaking.
that's interesting, to my understanding, the back of these handles are complex, i've see them and dissasembled them, all the little grooves and protrusions make this piece a very difficult one to do as far as manual machining, i know i wouldn't want to do that...

and with the resin prototypes maching would not be necessary unless you mean some minor deburring to clean up some rough edges if they exist...

my concern with castingis the accuracy of the final product... and consistancy between units, if we are relying on a manual machining process, we are lookingat removal of excess material if i'm not mistaken... i'm really looking for an extremely accurate and consistant part...

now honestly i've never been to a modern casting/machining facility so maybe their work is better than what i am thinking... either way that is the more expensive route for us at this moment.

the guys we were quoted by we wanting 3k in tooling costs before we even started talking about material and labor costs for prototyping... and for just the two of us that's quite a bit...

if a prototype run on SLA runs us a few hundred or anywhere under 1k we'll be happy...

after examining the OEM handle, it looks to me as the ridges and protrusions on the back of the handle are for the most part not needed... unless they function as a stability part against the door... your guess is as good as mine...
Old 12-19-2007 | 04:42 AM
03redlineZ

I am excited for the slim models. You can PM if you want for my design ideas if it would help at all.. I have 2 different ideas... Personally I wouldnt want LEDS in my handles either it in my opinion makes the car look a little cheesy...

Let me know if I can be any assistance at all... I am very anxious for this arrival of the slim design if you do go forward with it.

-Chad
Old 12-19-2007 | 04:47 AM
Sonicspeed

Originally Posted by LegionnaireZ
**snip**

just so we're all clear, my partner and i are on top of all this, we're doing our best to ensure a high quality product that will last as long if not longer than the Z itself...

the last thing we want is to release a dud of a product that no one is happy with...

**snip**

i will be discussing this with my partner and getting a mock up made, so now we're looking at a release date probably sometime either late this month or early next year....

now my thoughts are to hold release until i can get a prototype of both slim and OEM style for you guys to check out...
Bro keep doing what you are doing. You have quality product in mind, and dont want to rush just to satify people who dont want to wait. You should have enough buyers once the item comes out as long as its good quality. Nothing to worry about there.
Old 12-19-2007 | 06:03 AM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by Sonicspeed
Bro keep doing what you are doing. You have quality product in mind, and dont want to rush just to satify people who dont want to wait. You should have enough buyers once the item comes out as long as its good quality. Nothing to worry about there.
awesome man, thanks for the reassurance... from time to time i start to feel that there is too much negativity going on to keep this thread going...
i'm glad that the few really see what i'm trying to do here... and that real R&D takes time...

how many people were calling APS to rush their TT kit for the Z?

not really a good analogy considering whats involved... but whatever...

Thanks tho'
Old 12-19-2007 | 06:04 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

This project is taking waaaay too long. Too much talk and not much walk.

/Unsub....
Old 12-19-2007 | 06:08 AM
LegionnaireZ

^^ exactly what you were talking about sonicspeed...

if your such in a rush bb1314... how about giving me a few grand... that should help production

i'm just kidding by the way...
Old 12-21-2007 | 02:38 PM
yellowlady

Default no pics yet

i skimmed through this whole thread to not even find one picture of the darn handles! i am interested for sure. if they cost less than $200, were offered in a very dark gunmetal, and looked a lot better than stock than i am a buyer for sure. that is unless someone can do the same thing in carbon. if that is the case than i will go with carbon.
Old 12-21-2007 | 03:41 PM
LegionnaireZ

actually... I was thinking about it...

I wouldnt mind doing carbon ones I love C F
Old 12-22-2007 | 10:12 AM
03redlineZ

Sending sketches to you this weekend. I just finished them they are rough sketches and I enclosed a pic of a car that has handles similar to the design of one of my options...

Again they were rough sketches I hope they can atleast give you the visual that I am trying to portray then you can figure out possible fabrication for a thin handle...

-CHad
Old 12-23-2007 | 06:28 AM
LegionnaireZ

sure thing... and, that's cool... i understand sketches...

i'll have to do some convincing on my end to my partner, he's not opting to do a redesign considering what we've already done... but if you dont have something the people want then you dont have a market... so...

we'll see... hopefully a yes
Old 12-31-2007 | 07:33 AM
Sonicspeed

sure thing... and, that's cool... i understand sketches...

i'll have to do some convincing on my end to my partner, he's not opting to do a redesign considering what we've already done... but if you dont have something the people want then you dont have a market... so...

we'll see... hopefully a yes

Dont rush. Its not like you have others trying to make this product. Let em whine and *****. When your product comes out they will buy it if they like it regardless if they have to wait another month for a pic or a week.

Last edited by Sonicspeed; 01-05-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2007 | 12:34 PM
03redlineZ

LegionnaireZ

Did you receive my Picasso sketches yet... LOL

I hope you got the idea that I was trying to put on paper...

-CHad
Old 12-31-2007 | 01:34 PM
LegionnaireZ

yeah I got them... Thanks... I'm currently stewing an idea based on your design,
we cant indent very much on the base its already against the metal of the door... But I'll think of something...
I'll let you know
Old 01-01-2008 | 12:48 PM
03redlineZ

yeah I got them... Thanks... I'm currently stewing an idea based on your design,
we cant indent very much on the base its already against the metal of the door... But I'll think of something...
I'll let you know

Sounds good, I look forward to the design....

Goodluck

-Chad
Old 01-04-2008 | 07:45 PM
neight

i don't even own a Z yet and this would be my first mod, i can also do digital renderings for free (or maybe handle payment) if you give me a file, i'm an architecture student
Old 01-17-2008 | 11:35 AM
CAVZ33

Update
Old 01-17-2008 | 05:20 PM
Abishop

^ +1
Old 01-19-2008 | 08:52 PM
cubu

.... i think i'll just go my handles painted or powdercoated
Old 01-20-2008 | 03:57 AM
LegionnaireZ

have fun cubu... Hope it works out great for you...
these manufacturers take their sweet time getting back to us... But I'll tell you this... We're really close now... All we have left to do is pick a manufacturer that fits in our price range and does what we're looking for...
Old 01-20-2008 | 07:20 AM
cubu

i will still be interested once they are done, but my handles look like crap and since my car is in the shop right now i just might get them done. also, it would be great if we could some oem emblems color matched to the handles

Quick Reply: Custom Door Handles