Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Custom Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 10:37 AM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by zYouLater
I would like to have mine powdered coated?
zYouLater,
Powder Coating is not a direction in which we are going.
You can order a set of just bare aluminum ones and have them coated elsewhere.
but having to switch up our production lines, could rocket our costs up...
since none of the others will be powder coated...
Old 11-29-2007 | 07:49 PM
ZMotegi53

Hows it comin along
Old 11-29-2007 | 08:12 PM
emulzhn

anymore images of the handles....?
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:24 AM
03redlineZ

I was hoping it would be a more flush handle... I have taken the handles off when I went to paint and always wanted something that was a little more flush.. There has to be a way to almost completely change the look but still have it functional,

I am thinking the part that you pull out to engage the mechanism to open the door to be at maybe a 35-40 degree angle so your fingers fit behind but would be much more sleek and aerodynamic. Then for the 2 portions that jut out above and below that portion to be taken down as far as possible maybe a 1/2 inch... I hope someone has a visual of what I am talking about...

I have pondered the idea of shaving the handle due to how bulky and ugly they are IMO>.
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:48 AM
LegionnaireZ

I get the idea... But to see if it would work i would need the handle in front of me to look at...

Neat idea though... Realistically you could do anything with the surface of the handle once you have the mechanisms and inner components in cad...
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:53 AM
03redlineZ

Well I would be on board in a heart beat if they were more flush... The 3 dots dont flow anymore without the stock wheels...

I think its totally doable to make it almost completely flush maybe 1/2 inch jutting out since there is the 1/4 inch drop when you take the handle off... I would think the C shape exterior portion around the handle that doesnt move should be as flush as possible utilizing the 1/4 inch drop down... Then have the handle that opens the door link (the portion off the two hinges) be a straight piece that goes up 35-45 degree angle....

This is in my opinion would be the answer to 1/2 the guys on here thay are not completely in love with their handles on their beautiful Z's...
Old 12-12-2007 | 12:55 PM
MadZkill

No new updates? This project must be dead....
Old 12-12-2007 | 01:35 PM
redman333

Originally Posted by MadZkill
No new updates? This project must be dead....
Thats what I'm starting to think.
Old 12-12-2007 | 05:55 PM
LegionnaireZ

no the projects not dead...

we are waiting for a digital manufacturer now, the traditional manufacturer was way too costly...

the digital manufacturer will also have much better fitment, and less time de-burring, polishing and what-not...

i will check into making a slim design for you guys, sounds like a good idea to me, and if you guys like it, that's all that matters to me.

i think since we already have the "blueprint" for the backside of the handle, changing the exterior shouldn't be a problem.

so there we go... there's an update.
Old 12-12-2007 | 09:50 PM
Sonicspeed

Originally Posted by LegionnaireZ
no the projects not dead...

we are waiting for a digital manufacturer now, the traditional manufacturer was way too costly...

the digital manufacturer will also have much better fitment, and less time de-burring, polishing and what-not...

i will check into making a slim design for you guys, sounds like a good idea to me, and if you guys like it, that's all that matters to me.

i think since we already have the "blueprint" for the backside of the handle, changing the exterior shouldn't be a problem.

so there we go... there's an update.
Dude with a "slim" design you have my interest thats for sure! Stock handle is a little to clunky in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2007 | 05:35 PM
jputzeh

............................................................ ..........

Last edited by jputzeh; 12-18-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2007 | 12:49 AM
Zincognito

could this be another "targa top" thread?
Old 12-17-2007 | 04:59 AM
03redlineZ

SLim design really is the ONLY thing you guys should be looking into. Most guys will just paint the handles like myself to change the look slightly or cover them with the Carbon fiber overlay....

The slim design is what "most" people want.... The second you get the "slim" design down I am in and I am sure there will be 100 other Z owners that will be jumping in as well..

What is the ETA for these things being able to be a real solid thing...?

Thanks

-Chad
Old 12-17-2007 | 05:11 AM
jtabraham

Are you planning on having each of these pieces machined, or are you going to have the individual components cast and assembled after making your prototype?
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:51 AM
LegionnaireZ

well before I was insulted... By the guy above... I was explaining that the more traditional manufacurer would be casting them...

The "digital manufacturer" is in fact not cnc... I know what that is... And I think it would be way too time consuming to make each individual piece in cnc...

I am talking about stereo lithography...
Dont know what it is?
look it up in wiki...
but as far as mass production In the digital manufacturing... This is our best option

And I'd appreciate you being a little more easy with the negative comments guy... What did I do to you?
Old 12-17-2007 | 10:04 AM
Zincognito

which guy do you speak off??
Old 12-17-2007 | 10:05 AM
jtabraham

I would recommend machining the prototype as opposed to making a resin-based one using SLA (stereolithography). The use of rapid prototype/SLA machines are generally pretty expensive in comparison to traditional machining, and you only see a cost benefit when making a particularly complex piece that would require extensive/complicated material removal.

Another benefit of machining the prototype would be that you can actually install them on your car and use them as intended. Obviously for manufacturing, casting would be the way to go though.

Good luck with the project. Seems like a good undertaking.
Old 12-17-2007 | 02:12 PM
03redlineZ

Let me know when the slim ones are made I will grab a set for sure!!
Old 12-18-2007 | 05:13 PM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by Zincognito
which guy do you speak off??
looks like jputzeh???

but it looks like he retracted his statement, and for that i'm thankful,

many thanks

just so we're all clear, my partner and i are on top of all this, we're doing our best to ensure a high quality product that will last as long if not longer than the Z itself...

the last thing we want is to release a dud of a product that no one is happy with...

and after further consideration, here's what i'm now looking at:

the standard OEM style in the various colors mentioned above with the enhancements such as the "Silent Guard", rubber insert behind the handle and a possibility of LED upgrades for future enhancement with future products...

and the slim design, scaled down to the bare minimum of material, (as close as you can get with out effecting function. to reduce bulk, no insert, possible LED upgrade, and as always above color options available,

i will be discussing this with my partner and getting a mock up made, so now we're looking at a release date probably sometime either late this month or early next year....

now my thoughts are to hold release until i can get a prototype of both slim and OEM style for you guys to check out...

Last edited by LegionnaireZ; 12-18-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2007 | 05:35 PM
LegionnaireZ

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
SLim design really is the ONLY thing you guys should be looking into. Most guys will just paint the handles like myself to change the look slightly or cover them with the Carbon fiber overlay....

The slim design is what "most" people want.... The second you get the "slim" design down I am in and I am sure there will be 100 other Z owners that will be jumping in as well..

What is the ETA for these things being able to be a real solid thing...?

Thanks

-Chad
Chad,

i understand what you mean about the slim model. believe me i'm pushing to get this out for you guys... i'm absolutely sure that we will end up with another uhh... bill to get the redesign... but uhh.. that's the cost of business i guess...

ETA is a little difficult to get but for a good estimate, especially after speaking with my partner a little while ago, our design is finalized and we are now just aiting on odds and ends to come together... this will be a production run of the OEM style...

we will have a prototype set made for test fitment out of the material used in stereo lithography.

so these will not be the metal we are using but an EXACT model of the actual product, after test fitment, we will make further adjustments if necessary and then run the production...

we are looking at an estimate date of 2nd week of january...

with the slim design, However... it still doesn't have the green light yet, and we haven't discussed the design as of yet... so i will have to keep you posted on that. we at this time a trying to dig up funding for this...

Last edited by LegionnaireZ; 12-19-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom Door Handles