Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
honestly i havent done any research on them so i dont know is out there / good... but always open to suggestions
The first thing to consider is budget. Then you want to research based on driver reviews. The tricky part is finding reviews that actually mean something. If you just want to be hellaflush and don't care about ride quality you can get stupid cheap coilovers. If you want to track and/or autocross as well as daily drive the car you'll be looking at something like KW or something similar.

Again, budget is a big factor for most people. Unfortunately they wind up cheaping out and buying crap and not really knowing the difference. This is all based on what I've read over the last couple of months. I don't have coilovers and I haven't decided if I'm going to go with them or just add quality shocks to my drop springs. Lots to learn.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,148 Likes on 6,598 Posts

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
The first thing to consider is budget. Then you want to research based on driver reviews. The tricky part is finding reviews that actually mean something. If you just want to be hellaflush and don't care about ride quality you can get stupid cheap coilovers. If you want to track and/or autocross as well as daily drive the car you'll be looking at something like KW or something similar.

Again, budget is a big factor for most people. Unfortunately they wind up cheaping out and buying crap and not really knowing the difference. This is all based on what I've read over the last couple of months. I don't have coilovers and I haven't decided if I'm going to go with them or just add quality shocks to my drop springs. Lots to learn.
i care about ride quality and dont want to tear up the car, alot of sentimental value to it, since it is a daily for me i dont want to be scraping the front lip on everything. i did the tein s-tech for a mild drop but almost wishing i did something with just a little bit more... might go that route with good shocks. i dont mind spending money on it to get a quality product... thankfully my job doesnt really limit OT so it makes the mods come fast
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StuLax18
everyone!

I have a question about inspections. What all do they do to check the exhaust? Visual and emissions check right?

Pretty sure my 2nd O2 sensor is throwing a code due to HFC's, but I have a forever SES light due to ECU having the incorrect ROM flashed onto it. Sounds like pay2pass is the only way to go unless I find a used ECU soon.
If you have an CEL - you WILL fail - pay to pass is probably your ONLY way out of this one Stu..
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

If you want a straight suggestion I would say KW coilovers. Just based on reading I've never seen anything negative on them. You can get the V1 and be done with it. These are at the top of my list (possibly the V2, but I'm not heavy into tracking... yet). There are brands like BC Racing, Stance, Fortune Auto, etc that overall get good reviews. However, I have heard just a few negative things about each brand. I've seen lightly used Stance coilovers for sale with rust building up on the threaded shock bodies.

KW uses stainless steel so you don't have to worry about rust. I'm plugging KW simply from what I've learned over the last couple months.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

will prob do tune first, then i was going to get the tokico d spec .... but contemplating ditching the S-Tech and going with coil-overs
I would ask yourself what do you want to do with your car ..... Track, AutoX, Drift, and are you DD'ng it ?

I just put those koni's on as did Scott (Steidz) on this site....we both feel they are very nice and can be adjusted for DD'ng.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

yeah as with everything... one brand is better than other brand blah blah blah, but i will keep the KW in mind. for the meantime i may get tannabe springs to get it a little lower
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by fithamoto
I would ask yourself what do you want to do with your car ..... Track, AutoX, Drift, and are you DD'ng it ?

I just put those koni's on as did Scott (Steidz) on this site....we both feel they are very nice and can be adjusted for DD'ng.
daily driver, may get into autox later on. i really appreciate everyones input on this
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

daily driver, may get into autox later on. i really appreciate everyones input on this
You should come out to TMS this Sat. and check out the AutoX....you might be able to catch a ride with one of us also.....bring a helmut if you have one....if not you can usually borrow.

You won't really ever know how your Mods are doing until you put them to work for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

You should come out to TMS this Sat. and check out the AutoX....you might be able to catch a ride with one of us also.....bring a helmut if you have one....if not you can usually borrow.

You won't really ever know how your Mods are doing until you put them to work for you.
never been out to one, will definately see about making it out there.... sending you a pm
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
ppat1989
Professional

Michelle is not coming so I will have an extra spot in my car if you want to ride and I havean extra helmet if you don't have your own
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ppat1989
Michelle is not coming so I will have an extra spot in my car if you want to ride and I havean extra helmet if you don't have your own
pm'd
Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
JLS2GOZ

Originally Posted by SmokersMagee

How are things Jody?
Hi Sweet Magee (Adam) Hanging in there. Dealing with my personal disability company and Federal disability....PITA. Lost my insurance bennies so I am in the county system.....first time in my whole life only the professional lay around dole takers know how things work , I on the other hand dont so it is slow going trying to get the medical help I need to try to get better , Hoping to make one of the events so as to see all of you guys, long as me and my WALKER are not a big turn off I miss all of you, Chris and Scott, enjoying the vids ya'll post. Looks like a blast Keep it all safe and have good times, you never know when life will take a left...I regret not listening to all of you about trying the auto cross back then...I missed out Hope to see ya soon.

Jody
Old 05-10-2012, 02:52 AM
mikes10

I've never heard anything bad about bilstein - i haven't heard anyone mention them as a choice - BILSTEIN - B16 PSS10 -

I have v3's on my350z and they seem fine for daily - only comparison i have however are my old supra's tein ss coilovers and my wifes megans on the subaru which both are great imo - i haven't had issues with either of those coilovers on track or street for either car -

the difference i notice on the builds of the v3 are the nylon adjustable spring perch and the large added reservoir - but their function is just like the tein ss - single ride height adjustment - SO much easier to mess with than a full adj coilover - my wifes megans are a fully adjustable coil - and i don't think i'd recommend that headache to anyone because there are too many things to adjust lol - its fun but sheesh - they were cheap but have held up great and ride great and handle great - so i tell people to buy the megan if they are first time coilover peoples because really for 800 sometimes less dollars wtf why not - a replacement shock is 100 bucks worst case - if you are going to be constantly adjusting for track duty and removing and changing and adjusting etc - prob not the best choice - but daily with track duty - they have held up great - no problems - for me.

i have found that the spanner wrenches suck for all coilovers - i say get the biggest *** channel locks - and make a tool -

I ran some kyb's and eibachs before which i didn't think were bad at all - 4 way adjustable kyb's -

http://www.eaglescanyon.com/2008/ecrtd.php
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

I was considering the Bilstein PSS10 for a while, but the price seems to keep going up and I just don't see any 350Z reviews on them. I wouldn't doubt them at all, but I like to hear first hand experiences before spending money like that. They are priced right along with the KW V2 or even the V3 when they are on a good sale.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Skrilla

Skrilla... just noticed your in burleson, i am down in that area every so often, my sis lives down there......
Nice, hit me up, truth be told you would be the first, no one here picks up the gawdamn phone...lol, I'm off 1187 and 35W
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Skrilla
Nice, hit me up, truth be told you would be the first, no one here picks up the gawdamn phone...lol, I'm off 1187 and 35W
so i literally go right by you when i go there, i take 1187 to 35 to alsbury.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

It just seems like everyone is busier than usual these days. I typically don't have much free time, but am getting out a little bit this weekend. You guys should come out to TMS for the autoX. It's fun even just watching.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Skrilla

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
It just seems like everyone is busier than usual these days. I typically don't have much free time, but am getting out a little bit this weekend. You guys should come out to TMS for the autoX. It's fun even just watching.
when/where I might just do that

so i literally go right by you when i go there, i take 1187 to 35 to alsbury.
damn you really are close pm me or something when you are hanging out there, you could stop by and check out the car
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

skrilla - i will do that, i am heading out to tms tomorrow for the auto-x... just watching this time. i will pm you with my number. i dont go to b-town that often but my mother lives just north of 287 and cooper and i am there visting a couple times a week
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Skrilla

skrilla - i will do that, i am heading out to tms tomorrow for the auto-x... just watching this time. i will pm you with my number. i dont go to b-town that often but my mother lives just north of 287 and cooper and i am there visting a couple times a week

I'll nee to know when but that sounds like fun

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge