Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Skrilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
It all depends on how hard you're going to get into autoX. The car will love the tune more than it will struts (gas mileage, overall performance). I ran last Saturdays autoX on stock struts with 53,xxx miles and did "OK". My brakes were my weakest point and I wouldn't hesitate to run another autoX day on the stock struts.

I am definitely going to order suspension next as I just picked up some OEM Brembos (so my brake fade issue is more than solved). Chris and Scott both run the Koni sport struts and that's #1 on my list with just two other options in consideration. When you get ready to order the suspension you should buy from Jeremiah. He goes by "James@MVP" here as a forum vendor and his prices are unbeatable. I just bought my Stoptech braided brake lines from him cheaper than any other vendor had them. He's close enough to go pay cash in person. He also quoted me the lowest price on the Konis. You won't find them cheaper than through him.

Sorry for the book, just wanted to share some info I've picked up recently. Hi Nexx!

edit: Patrick raises a great point. If you are still planning on adding power parts I would hold off on the tune and do the suspension now.
Thats a good read thx for the info, I'm waiting for my '06 calipers to get in anytime now

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Well you could just come out and jump a ride with somebody like Travis did this past weekend. Doesn't cost you anything.

My best time was 57.312
I wish I would have been abel to make it
what are the rules again? I thought I saw it posted somewhere, can you be fully bolted just no internals? How about cats ecu reprogramming? Man I'm out of the loop I haven't auto-x'd since my DSM days
Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrilla
Thats a good read thx for the info, I'm waiting for my '06 calipers to get in anytime now.

I wish I would have been abel to make it
what are the rules again? I thought I saw it posted somewhere, can you be fully bolted just no internals? How about cats ecu reprogramming? Man I'm out of the loop I haven't auto-x'd since my DSM days
You will be running in the same class as all of us. Power mods aren't an issue with them. The tires are the kicker. If you run an R-compound or anything less than 140 treadwear rating then you're in a different class. We all run street tires to avoid battling the big guys. Chris, Scott, and Patrick are all running the Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires. Those things are the best you can do before running a full R-compound. I will be running them next year, but for now I'm doing fine on my Nitto Invos.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Are you set on the Tanabe? I know that the GF210's are a lower spring rate than the S.Techs you have now. I can't say whether or not that will help or hurt your goal, but I thought I'd make note of it.
when you say a lower spring rate, does that mean stiffer? i am open to suggestions, but i want a little lower drop than the s-tech are giving me

Last edited by travlee; 05-15-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by travlee9374
when you say a lower spring rate, does that mean stiffer? i am open to suggestions, but i want a little lower drop than the s-tech are giving me
I had your same thinking a while back. Lowering the car helps, but only when you do it right. There's a fine line between achieving a certain look and making the suspension perform properly.

Here's my suggestion to you. Spend a good amount of time reading through the tech forums on this site. I've spent a lot of time reading through the "Brakes & Suspension" tech forum and I've learned alot. I was absolutely clueless before finding good information in there.

The downside to that is that there are so many people that post BAD information. It's going to take some time deciphering who offers good advice and who is offering bad advice. Pay attention to what "terrasmak" says. He knows is stuff and he posts alot in those threads.

However, you could just replicate someone's setup. Judging by Chris' success in autoX you can conclude that he probably has a good setup. I rode along with him once and his car feels SOLID. Scott has a pretty good setup as well. The best component of their suspension is the Koni shocks, but you get the idea.

To answer your question about spring rates... Lower rates mean softer springs, higher rates mean stiffer springs. Then there's linear versus progressive springs. Again, do some reading.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

i looked at the specs on my current spring and the tanabe..... if i went with the tanabe i would have 6.0 front and 6.7 rear; my current are 6.4 front and 4.9 rear......i really liked the way that chris' looked and he has the h-tech which isnt as great of a drop but his is lower, how do the shocks affect the height if any

i also like the height of your car, what are you running? man i was going to order today but it looks like i need to do some more homework....

Last edited by travlee; 05-15-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Skrilla

i looked at the specs on my current spring and the tanabe..... if i went with the tanabe i would have 6.0 front and 6.7 rear; my current are 6.4 front and 4.9 rear......i really liked the way that chris' looked and he has the h-tech which isnt as great of a drop but his is lower, how do the shocks affect the height if any

i also like the height of your car, what are you running? man i was going to order today but it looks like i need to do some more homework....
for the most part springs determine the ride height, I have the stiffer tien springs, but I really do not like progressive and especially on stock shocks. with the linear springs you always know what you are going to get where as the progressive can have a nice ride until their are compressed to the stiffer setting giving them a bouncy feeling up to decompression. but that is the trade off. linear will be stiff all the time so its to you on whether or not you want to deal with it. Your shocks control the rebound of the spring so life could be better if you could adjust on the fly. The tien edfc works this way which i may go to some day. As of right now my setup works but I'm not happy with it. I had ground control coilovers on tokico on my DSM which I loved and they were cheap adjustable and insane cornering
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM
BURN-IT

Default Motordyne 5/16 spacer

This is kind of off topic but has anyone put the motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer in their Z? What were the results? I'm thinking about doing it. I've heard good/bad about them so I want to know if its worth it.

If so I will order it today
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by BURN-IT
This is kind of off topic but has anyone put the motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer in their Z? What were the results? I'm thinking about doing it. I've heard good/bad about them so I want to know if its worth it.

If so I will order it today
There's no such thing as off topic here in the lounge. Anything you want to talk about is the topic.

I didn't install mine as it was already on the car when I bought it, but it is a very popular mod for the DE engines. Look through the tech forum under engine & drivetrain, do some searching. I can't tell you if the spacer alone gave my car any gains because it is paired with exhaust mods and a tune. I just know that it is a very popular item for our cars.

And to answer your question Travis I'm running Eibach Pro-Kit springs. You have to remember that tire sizes will affect the look and overall ride height. I just put the 40 series on a few weeks ago and with the 35 series before the car sat slightly lower, but had more wheel gap. I'm pretty happy with my current setup, just need to upgrade the shocks.

Another thing to think about concerning the look of the wheel gap is the offset of the wheels and where the tire sits in the fender well. If I were to add wheel spacers to my setup the ~1/2" of wheel gap I have now would look to be reduced. This is because of the curvature of the tire's shoulder.

Last edited by AllstarE4; 05-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Hey Josiah, since you're from the DSM world I'll ask you. Do you know anyone that may be looking for OEM front fenders (left and right - non painted primer black) for a 92-94 DSM? I also have urethane aftermarket side skirts (non painted black). Everything is new in original packaging from a failed project years ago.

Last edited by AllstarE4; 05-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

i think that if i went with the tanabe i would be okay, hell if i didnt like i could always throw my S-Tech's back on... i will do some more research before committing. i wanted a lower drop, but something that is going to handle corners also.

****BUT on positive note**** just set up tune for friday at 1.....
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
BURN-IT

I actually just went with the Kinetix Racing V+ Intake Plenum instead of the md 5/16 spacer. Ordered and on its way
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
r1forever

I'm one step closer to seeing y'all at the track.
Got the engine dropped in With the twins.
Fuel return is almost
Complete. Just
Have to run all my wires and reroute my coolers. Hope to have it drive able this wknd. Hope to eventually be pushing 450-500 on a safe
Tune
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by BURN-IT
I actually just went with the Kinetix Racing V+ Intake Plenum instead of the md 5/16 spacer. Ordered and on its way
I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I've read that the V+ plenum is a waste of money for a naturally aspirated Z.

Good to hear R1. Hurry up and get out there.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

i think that if i went with the tanabe i would be okay, hell if i didnt like i could always throw my S-Tech's back on... i will do some more research before committing. i wanted a lower drop, but something that is going to handle corners also.

****BUT on positive note**** just set up tune for friday at 1.....
You may be fine with the Tanabe springs. I wasn't trying to talk you out of them. I was just trying to show you that there are several options and some of them are a waste of money while others are great options.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely should've went with the 5/16 spacer..its a lil better than that plenum. Motordyne has dynos on their website.

Good news stephen!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

You may be fine with the Tanabe springs. I wasn't trying to talk you out of them. I was just trying to show you that there are several options and some of them are a waste of money while others are great options.
i am going to educate myself more before i jump in, i have had eibachs on a previous car and i loved em...... going to compare those and the tanabe side by side. if i went with the pro-kits i would get about another half inch drop and that is the look i am wanting
Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

i am going to educate myself more before i jump in, i have had eibachs on a previous car and i loved em...... going to compare those and the tanabe side by side. if i went with the pro-kits i would get about another half inch drop and that is the look i am wanting

Hey Karl I was thinking of the Kinetix SSV Velocity plenum. You may be fine with the V+ plenum. For a $4 difference from the Motordyne spacer I think it's a toss up. You will want to have it tuned though. Do you already have exhaust mods?

Last edited by AllstarE4; 05-15-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
BURN-IT

Hey Karl I was thinking of the Kinetix SSV Velocity plenum. You may be fine with the V+ plenum. For a $4 difference from the Motordyne spacer I think it's a toss up. You will want to have it tuned though. Do you already have exhaust mods?
Ive heard good things about it and the only reason that I went with that application instead of a spacer is that it keeps the incoming air a bit cooler than the md spacer due to the composites. I don't have exhaust mods yet, I'm still waiting on top speed to make my test pipes.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Travis, my spring rates on the Tein H techs are 6.4 Frt & 6.7 Rear.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2103

Don't know how much the Koni's help out with them.....but I know they are decent springs. And the reason I got them is because I had some 19" Volks and was DD'ng my Z a few years and didn't want to have a slammed Z. I'm sure whatever you get will be fine. If you need any help just get a hold me and we will talk.

I can't wait to have you out on the track with us....your a cool dude and I know you will tear it up when your get out there.
Attached Thumbnails DFW's Lounge-spring-rate_tein-h-tech.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM
C-BANG

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Well you could just come out and jump a ride with somebody like Travis did this past weekend. Doesn't cost you anything.

My best time was 57.312
No way really? that's pretty neat maybe i should catch a ride with one of you guys out there maybe on the next event.

what did you place in? Are you going to the DUB show this weekend in Dallas?

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge