Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM
christinekay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah, well i remember why i don't post here. some of you guys could refrain from being complete d*ck faces. my car is purple, btw. it was chrome silver, but someone did some really terrible body work on my car and i had to resort to a new paint job (a long story). also, i am saving for wheels. all i have are the stock ones, and i can't help that i don't have the money for something more snazzy. i don't even want to get into this. it can get really ugly.

i am simply asking about THE ISSUE I AM HAVING. i don't need your comments about other things i should do.

only 112k miles. new battery. no check engine light. plugs changed...oh two years ago (i put less than 10k miles a year on my car).

Last edited by christinekay; 10-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM
mikes10

Originally Posted by christinekay
ah, well i remember why i don't post here. some of you guys could refrain from being complete d*ck faces. my car is purple, btw. it was chrome silver, but someone did some really terrible body work on my car and i had to resort to a new paint job (a long story). also, i am saving for wheels. all i have are the stock ones, and i can't help that i don't have the money for something more snazzy. i don't even want to get into this. it can get really ugly.

i am simply asking about THE ISSUE I AM HAVING. i don't need your comments about other things i should do.

only 112k miles. new battery. no check engine light. plugs changed...oh two years ago (i put less than 10k miles a year on my car).
you speak the truths!

i didn't have anything useful to add - the only issue i've had with my car were cam sensors and there was a code for that I think Eric gave you good advice on alt and battree for what its worth -

its not TOO low its just reALLly Low you do what you like - i know i do and your wheels arent bad looking - the z in general just looks a little funny with the wheels being so tucked in. But spacers are cheap ish so are extended lugs in comparison to new wheels and tires and will make your current wheels look good on your z or at least better in my opinion but who cares about my opinion haha - and if your car is purple post more pics my wife is gonna, well... you know haha love it and i will FINALLY BE ABLE TO SAY - SEEEEEE my MFN CAR ISNT purple -

I think i spotted you on 75 one day - and yeah your car was silver - you live near plano?

Last edited by mikes10; 10-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM
christinekay

it was suggested to me that the issue could be cam sensors, but i don't have a check engine light.

i wish my car could talk and just tell me why it's sick. most parts are original and i would hate replacing a whole bunch of stuff trying to figure out what the issue was.

here goes my wheel savings

if she saw my car, she would truly no longer believe yours was purple. lol.

Originally Posted by mikes10
you speak the truths!

i didn't have anything useful to add - the only issue i've had with my car were cam sensors and there was a code for that I think Eric gave you good advice on alt and battree for what its worth -

its not TOO low its just reALLly Low you do what you like - i know i do and your wheels arent bad looking - the z in general just looks a little funny with the wheels being so tucked in. But spacers are cheap ish so are extended lugs in comparison to new wheels and tires and will make your current wheels look good on your z or at least better in my opinion but who cares about my opinion haha - and if your car is purple post more pics my wife is gonna, well... you know haha love it and i will FINALLY BE ABLE TO SAY - SEEEEEE my MFN CAR ISNT purple -

I think i spotted you on 75 one day - and yeah your car was silver - you live near plano?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
mikes10

Originally Posted by ezpotato
i think your problem is racecartooridiculouslyeffinlow.

too....
effin...
low....

and your other problem may be those wheels.......... with that height.... fix that and maybe your car will start properly. it's trying to tell you something.

jeebus.
says a mazda owner hahahaha
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Christine - this is the lounge thread. Don't be so thin skinned in here. I made a crack about you needing wheel spacers because, well, you do. If it isn't a charging problem and you can't figure it out just go get a diagnostic done. Its cheap enough and will tell you the real problem. Or meet up with Chris Park and use his Bluetooth code reader.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Lucky736

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question and thought I would post locally since a lot of the guys here run big wide wheels.

Looking to just do a +1 upgrade to my Z. Factory is 245-45-28 and 225-45-18 but you already knew that.

Wondering why everyone is running 35 series rear and fronts instead of 40.

I am going to put on 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 wheels and was thinking 255-40-19 and 285-40-19 respectively. I'd think this would also keep the speedo in line.

No plans to lower it other than maybe a modest 1/2 drop from factory. To be honest it is an 03 and already seems lower than most of the factory ones to begin with though I see no obvious sign anything was done to the suspension prior to my ownership.

If I can run a 40 without issues I'd rather have a bit more rubber between me and the road.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM
mikes10

you would need to lower your car in order to fit those tires - see Christines' picture
Old 10-20-2012, 04:18 PM
mikes10

didn't eve get a "who do we appreciate" post outta that motor?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
mikes10

nope - see that was a joke - because taller tires and a lower car wouldn't work -

factory runs taller tires - because of ride quality - and that is just a guess -

Last edited by mikes10; 10-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Lucky736

you would need to lower your car in order to fit those tires - see Christines' picture
In the Varrstoen thread guys are running similar size tire albeit 35 series, wheel, and offset without any issues on stock height. Why would I have to lower it to fit those?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
mikes10

i edited the post above yours - ^^ to answer your post below it -
Old 10-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Lucky736

i edited the post above yours - ^^ to answer your post below it -
I was wondering what the hell you were talking about but was trying to be nice. Lol. In all honesty though, since I have no interest in lowering it as low as a lot of people do, if I do it at all, does anyone know for a fact if this will cause any issues? The offset on the 19x10.5 is 27.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM
mikes10

lol - your tire sizes will be fine so i won't pose any of my ideas on looks and response -

but what is the offset?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by Lucky736
Quick question and thought I would post locally since a lot of the guys here run big wide wheels.

Looking to just do a +1 upgrade to my Z. Factory is 245-45-28 and 225-45-18 but you already knew that.

Wondering why everyone is running 35 series rear and fronts instead of 40.

I am going to put on 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 wheels and was thinking 255-40-19 and 285-40-19 respectively. I'd think this would also keep the speedo in line.

No plans to lower it other than maybe a modest 1/2 drop from factory. To be honest it is an 03 and already seems lower than most of the factory ones to begin with though I see no obvious sign anything was done to the suspension prior to my ownership.

If I can run a 40 without issues I'd rather have a bit more rubber between me and the road.

Thanks in advance.
Lucky, I think most peeps like to run a lower profile for a couple reasons....first it makes the wheel sizes match up from them stepping up to a wider tire. As you go wider your Aspect ratio increases also so you must reduce the aspect ratio to a lower number. Secondly, they just like the sleek look of the lower profiles as they lower their Z.
I have run 19's on my Z with the same sizes you want and had 245/40/19's front and 275/40/19's in the rear with no rubbing. I liked the 40 series also just becausee I didn't have much of a drop either and wanted to fill the gap of the wheel well up better. Plus they have a smoother feel for the road.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 PM
ppat1989
Professional

+27 offset with no drop, you're golden. You don't even need to roll fenders for that. Tire sizes aren't really wide enough either to need to roll the fender. I've run 18x9.5 +15 with a 285 on the rears and lowered an inch without rolling my fenders but only for like two weeks. I never rubbed but i still went ahead and got the fenders rolled just to be safe.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Lucky736-

You have to first understand how tire sizes work. For example: 245/45/18 means 245 mm wide, 45% of width as sidewall height, on 18 inch diameter wheel.

If you keep the same aspect ratio (percentage) as you increase the tire width, the tire will also become taller. You want to be as close to stock, overall tire diameter as possible so that your odometer, speedometer, vdc, etc all work as designed and intended. That's why you reduce the aspect ratio as you increase the tire width.

You can choose to run shorter or taller tires, however, for various reasons: comfort, gearing, cost, etc.

Use this calculator to figure out what's best for you:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Lucky736

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Lucky736-

You have to first understand how tire sizes work. For example: 245/45/18 means 245 mm wide, 45% of width as sidewall height, on 18 inch diameter wheel.

If you keep the same aspect ratio (percentage) as you increase the tire width, the tire will also become taller. You want to be as close to stock, overall tire diameter as possible so that your odometer, speedometer, vdc, etc all work as designed and intended. That's why you reduce the aspect ratio as you increase the tire width.

You can choose to run shorter or taller tires, however, for various reasons: comfort, gearing, cost, etc.

Use this calculator to figure out what's best for you:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Just got back to see the replies. Totally understand that, hence also taking into consideration that I will now be running a wheel 2 inches wider in the back and 1.5 in the front so the width and extra tire should be about the same ratio as the stock width to the stock wheel, along with the sidewall height. I just couldn't figure out if the 35 was actually the proper size or if it was to fit the wheels in the arches with more aggressive suspensions. Was just scratching my head on it.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Lucky736

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Lucky, I think most peeps like to run a lower profile for a couple reasons....first it makes the wheel sizes match up from them stepping up to a wider tire. As you go wider your Aspect ratio increases also so you must reduce the aspect ratio to a lower number. Secondly, they just like the sleek look of the lower profiles as they lower their Z.
I have run 19's on my Z with the same sizes you want and had 245/40/19's front and 275/40/19's in the rear with no rubbing. I liked the 40 series also just becausee I didn't have much of a drop either and wanted to fill the gap of the wheel well up better. Plus they have a smoother feel for the road.
TY sir. It looks as if that rear size is actually pretty close to what the later GT and Track models came with in the back so I figured it wouldn't rub but wanted to double check before I invested in the tires and found out otherwise. I'm no stranger to wheels and tires, just newer to this board, but wanted to get the experience of locals on these sizes. I also have to consider others that may be in the car with me and would like to leave their doctors to perform their colonoscopies as opposed to my car on the way to dinner or wherever. Lol. I also figure that I will PROBABLY avoid any VDC issues with the 285-255 setup. I would like to try for 295-265 but I think I'd be asking for it at that point.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM
ppat1989
Professional

I've seen 275 run on the front. That's about as big as i would go. 305 will fit in the back but i would definitely roll fenders to be safe. You just need to figure out the aspect ratio to suit what you want.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Lucky736

Originally Posted by ppat1989
I've seen 275 run on the front. That's about as big as i would go. 305 will fit in the back but i would definitely roll fenders to be safe. You just need to figure out the aspect ratio to suit what you want.
Yeah I saw some pics of a 305 with stock fenders, might have been rolled but not pulled, and really looked like it wasn't fitting right unless I did some suspension work to tuck the top in. I also think that with a 27 offset and 10.5 wide I might be in trouble on the stock fender, like you mentioned. Breaking the 300 mark though. Hmmmmm... lol.

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge