Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Tuning ITB off Stock ECU????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
I have a way that will allow me to reduce the hieght of the manifold yet not decrease airflow and will allow me to put the stepper motor above the intake manifold and essentially take the guts out of the the stock TB and put them into my manifold. Again this is a money and time permiting project.

another way to do it would be to take out your power steering, then you can lower the whole motor down probably about 3 to 4 inches without hitting anything. this will give some more much needed clearances. if you have any questions about some stupid crazy idea that no one has tried. give me a shout!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i disagree, the runners wouldnt have to be that long at all, i changed my motor from the 287 lower to the rev up lower and it moved my whole powerband from 6250 to 7000. to reach 8000 while still making power, they would have to be shorter.

i am thinking about robbing a the TBs off a M3 and trying to make it work somehow. im sure the voltage would be similar.

also, i have been running my motor basically without a maf sensor NA. just using the a map sensor and speed density with vacuum figures and it runs perfectly.

in case you havent seen
https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/255966-performance-factorys-15-to-1-compression-all-motor-project.html
The length of the tubing in the intake tract from even my Z is atleast 7 inches. It starts in the mid plenum and extends 3 inches into the lower plenum. Its long, but its folded.
The venturi cones are straight, but you can custom fabricate one thats folded to fit the Z. It won't have a huge impact. The best route would be to put them at an angle or flat..

One could make a plenum design that would route air around a longer route on the lower RPMs to increase torque and using an actuator or a selonoid close off the long channel to a short channel for the upper RPMs. Thats an idea that was thinking also, and its easy to implement. Its going to cause a sudden change in power band kinda like VTEC. However its damn simple, and simple is good.
Itll have the same effect as a variable runner length setup.

What is vacuum pressure in a bolt on (with cams and headers preferably) Z at redline at WOT on the stock manifold? Does anyone know? What is vacuum pressure at idle. If i have that information, I can calculate volumetric efficiency and see if ITB's will even give big gains. I'd guestimate that 70% of the gains from an ITB come from increasing the volumetric efficiency to 100%, and the rest come from reducing pumping power loss from pumping the air into the cyclinder. If volumetric efficiency is near 100% lets say 90% and up, then you can increase power by just boring out the throttle body, cutting off the runners in the upper plenum and welding in venturi tubes that line up with the lower plenum (kinda like what TS did).

Last edited by plumpzz; 04-08-2007 at 10:53 PM.