Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

simple tune ...ok w/ flash or UTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 PM
sponsorsthisway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple tune ...ok w/ flash or UTEC?

My situation is this. Soon I'll be installing my mrev2 and 5/16" spacer on my 03 (obviously non-revup) and would like to make sure i'm getting the full potential out of my other mods as well (crawford cats, stillen exhaust, crank pulley, popcharger) I know I don't have many mods N/A but I'd like to go turbo within a year. So I don't know that I want to put the money into crawford headers and tomei cams. I've been doing some research and to be honest its all starting to make my head spin. So I just want to clarify things as I'm going along.

With my mods am I ok to go with a simple reflash and be done with it for the time being or should I pick up a UTEC to specifically tune my N/A setup now and then I could use it with any say a tnetics, greddy or aps setup? Speak slowly and use simple words ...please be kind lol I'm new to this tuning and just want to know exactly what is best that i should do, why, and what the effects down the road are so I can make the best decision for myself now. I don't want to do this twice if i don't have to. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Road Warrior

imo...the utec would be great for you because you can tune yourself and tune after making additional modifications down the road.

however, a reflash would also work for you as well...since your just going with simple bolt-on mods...but only until you get to the turbo then you will have to make changes to your tune.

i guess it comes down to money and what your going to do with your car in the future....and it sounds like your going to need more than just a reflash if your going with the turbo, cams, etc down the road. there are several other tuning tools than the utec....so i suggest you do some research and see what would fit best for your application.

if you don't want to do this twice...than a reflash is not the way to go. you can tune with the utec, or other, for your simple bolt-ons now, and retune as necessary with additional modifications down the road.

just my .02
Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
titanjc

I've been toying around with the choice between a UTEC or a re-flash for a while now as well. If I DO every decide to bite the bullet, I've decided on a UTEC, if only for the reason that at least if I don't like it or if I need to, I can take it out and sell it for a good amount still. The re-flash, you don't have that option. I kind of view the re-flash as tossing $600 out the window and hoping you got a tune that matches up to your specific car and mods. And then that $600 is gone, no way to recoup any of it if you need to.

That's just my viewpoint.

Then again, I'm just a semi-broke college student lol
Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 PM
g35pm

UTEC. You can use it later as engine management for a turbo kit.

I'd say skip the headers and cams(maybe, these can be used for turbo as well) if you're going to turbo later. For turbo, most likely the headers will have to be removed. IMO with the money saved, i'd pick up parts to build the motor, e.g. forged pistons/rods etc....
Old 10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear 75% of members on the forums are "going turbo"

I agree the UTEC is a great tool (N/A or F/I). I wouldn't trust the greddy EU for F/I applications but it's great for N/A IMO.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I swear 75% of members on the forums are "going turbo"

I agree the UTEC is a great tool (N/A or F/I). I wouldn't trust the greddy EU for F/I applications but it's great for N/A IMO.
i think its more like 76%
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go w/ Utec
Old 10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Utec all the way.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any tune NA-EMU or UTEC would be better than a mail in flash.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 PM
filanj
Banned

cant go wrong either way