Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

technosquare ecu waste of $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default technosquare ecu waste of $$$?

im debating sending my ecu 2 technosquare.however im also putting on my tt kit very soon (greddy w/ utec) question being, will the utec get in the way or affect the technosquare at all, or will they both work in conjunction w/ eachother?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:09 PM
rlwjr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent question, here's a bump for you......
Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

No reason at all for a TS, if you also have the UTEC. Everything the TS ECU reflash will do, you can adjust with the UTEC.

Having the TS ECU won't hurt the UTEC, but it will be a waste of money.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it will soon be Greddy TT with a UTEC why spend $600 on a flash? Common sense would say just wait. The only thing the flash can do that a UTEC cannot do is remove the speed limiter and raise your idle (if you have cams you may need this), otherwise, wait and do the UTEC. FWIW-I had great success NA with a Techno flash.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

depends on what you consider a "waste of $." i tend to disagree with the reflash as useless since the introduction of the UTEC, but i'm kinda biased... heh. i've had too much time and effort put in as their R&D rat.

example: for a full NA reflash is $595. It can pretty much yield an efficient tune straight out of the box, granted you supply them with accurate A/F readings from your 'before dyno' and an accurate list of mods that you put in, then you go on your way and have Tadashi set it the code and you run with what you got. if you're in LA or want to have them custom dyno tune it, its even more efficient tune.. no need for any other external boxes or worries.

for boost cars, like me, Techno has been able to scale the MAF voltage for boost levels past 1 bar and very large flow injectors--all being run on the ECU, with no piggybacks. car runs great at idle, WOT, and everything inbetween.

on the other hand, if u feel the need for multiple octane maps and tunes and would like to 'tweak' the maps frequently then the purchase of the Utec, and paying have a good utec tuner mess with it each time might be a better option, but initial investment would be probably be a bit higher for all the equipment, installation labor & end tuning.

whether you think the ECU flash is unnecessary or if the higher initial utec $ investment is worth it, is compeltely up to you.. there are satisfied owners of both.

i'd just like to add that there are amazing things that Technosquare can do with tweaking of the stock ECU... stuff that people said was impossible a couple years back... woot..
Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

All the above options may be useful and necessary in the past; but given that a fully programmable/swappable/plug-&-play EMS is just around the corner, why not wait a little more and compare the current & latest available options for a more intelligent decision.

My Z will be equipped with the cutting-edge EMS, a stand-alone, which preserves all factory comfort control settings, in the next week or so.

But if you really can't wait, than go for one of the current options; the TS is the most inexpensive and I am certain that Tadashi has succeeded in refining his tweaks.

The UTEC would be a stronger contender if you plan to track your car, but it is costlier, as there are not many experienced tuners available in the arena.

I had a friend who recently reflashed his ECU back to stock by TS, he had no complains either way - before & after, as he is preparing for the same EMS install that I am scheduled for.

G

Old 01-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Out of curiousity, how is a complete stand alone EMS functionally different than a UTEC?

I mean, I know that the UTEC still has the factory ECU there, that it uses for cold start, idle, low throttle drivability, but in the parameters of the UTEC, it has the ability to take complete control of the fuel, spark, timing, etc... at any rpm, depending on how you set it.

So, how would a stand alone be better? I mean, what would it provide that the UTEC does not?

The only obvious answer that I can think of would be the granualrity of the fuel/timing map. Is there anything else?

Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well seeing as im installing cams as well, i would need 2 raise the rev limitor. can the u-tec do that and remove the speed limitor?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes Techno will remove the limiter only if thats what you want. If your staying on a stock block I would not raise the rev limiter, trust me I found out the hard way.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
well seeing as im installing cams as well, i would need 2 raise the rev limitor. can the u-tec do that and remove the speed limitor?
The UTEC cannot change the key factory settings (Dave 90TT's ?: the direct swap, standalone can) and the TS flash can.

If you have the safe guards in place for an FI application and performance cams, you could raise the rev limitor slightly on a stock motor, say to 7,000 rpm. Check with TS, as I am sure they have tried and tested the limits on a stock motor.

G
_____
Old 01-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
The UTEC cannot change the key factory settings (Dave 90TT's ?: the direct swap, standalone can) and the TS flash can.
really? Because from what I know, it can. It is certainly adjusted on mine (raised to 7200 on my 2005 G35), and according to their website, it can. See the bolded sentence below, direct from Turbo XS's website. What other key factory settings are there that a standalone could adjust that a UTEC can't?

Fuel Control- The UTEC has two fuel control modes. Each of them have a fuel map that allows the fuel to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev-limit.
MAF Pull Up/Down- allows you to intercept the MAF signal and add or subtract up to +/- 50% of the signal. This form of fuel control works best for mild naturally aspirated modifications.
Speed Density Fuelling – allows you to use your MAF for low load cruising situations. Under heavier load the UTEC will employ Speed Density Fuelling. The fuel map will allow you to enter Injector Pulse-width X10 into the table. This allows for precise fuel control. In the map you are now specifying millisecond on times of your injectors. This mode is a necessity for Forced Induction vehicles. The UTEC Map sensor is required.

Ignition Timing- The UTEC gives you complete control of timing. This is not done on the basis of offsets or altering the crank signal as some engine management systems use. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF or MAP which is optional. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. When you enter a value into the Ignition Map you are actually typing in Degrees Before Top Dead Center. The UTEC fires the coils based on these values. No more wondering if the stock ecu is going to advance or retard timing.

Knock Control- This feature allows you to help keep your motor in one piece. The UTEC contains default knock thresholds but can be adjusted at 1000 rpm increments up to 9000 rpm. It also contains a Knock Count threshold that allows you to define how many counts of knock before the UTEC will respond with a Knock Retard Step. The Knock Retard Step is the amount of ignition timing that will be pulled per knock count to a defined Knock Maximum Retard. Knock Maximum Retard relates to the maximum degrees of timing the UTEC will retard per knock event. When a knock count is registered the UTEC will hold the retard for a set number of crank cycles this is called Knock Retard Duration. The UTEC also has the ability to apply a global Knock Correction to the entire map once a knock event is evident. This will help ensure that you keep your high compression monster together. All of these features are the UTEC’s safety net. They should be used pro-active not as a reactive measure.

Datalogging- The UTEC Datalogging function helps you to keep an eye on your engines vitals. Using the logger gives you all the information you want to know about your vehicle. You can take multiple logs of your vehicle whether it’s simple driveability or all out racing. You can be sure the UTEC is keeping an eye out when you can’t. The main logger (Number1) contains rpm, map, maf voltage, tps, load site, afr, ignition timing, injector duty cycle, modified fuel (fuel control) and more. Logs can be output into text files or csv files for easy comparison. When the UTEC is used with a TXS Tuner model it can also supply you with w/b afr readings in your logs as well. Giving you the ultimate tuning package.

Injector Scaling- Allows you to scale larger than stock injectors making coarse adjustment to your fuel map.

Remote Map Selector- The remote selector gives you the capability to switch between your UTEC maps. It also allows you to revert back to full stock ecu control on map 0 (when stock sized injectors are used). Maps 1 through 5 are your UTEC tunable map locations. Map 7 is your security mode, the car will not start. The car cannot be bump started or jumped when security mode is enabled.

Rev-Limit Control- This feature allows you to adjust your primary rev-limit on your 2003-2004 350Z.

Programmable Shift Light- The shift light function lets you set the 3 RPM points at which to turn on a the optional three color shift light.

Spare Solenoid Drivers- Allow you to activate devices in a 3D map like Water Injection, Nitrous, Water Sprayer etc.

Software Upgrade- The UTEC will have periodic software updates to further innovate it’s tunability and flexibility. The most current version of software will be available on our website http://www.turboxs.com/.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
really? Because from what I know, it can. It is certainly adjusted on mine (raised to 7200 on my 2005 G35), and according to their website, it can. See the bolded sentence below, direct from Turbo XS's website. What other key factory settings are there that a standalone could adjust that a UTEC can't?
Your earlier question was rhetorical, as it was clear that you already had the answers.

If you feel that the UTEC affords you more versatility & controllability over the key factory settings, and more; than the HYDRA standalone, I would suggest you stay with the UTEC.

G
_____
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

No, it wasn't rhetorical, I asked because I really wanted to know if there was something more that a different standalone could do that the UTEC can't. I know that I personally don't have all the answers, and I am trying to find out more. If you feel that my asking questions is just to make myself look better, then feel free to ignore me. I am certainly not doing that, however; I feel that asking questions(even if I think I allready know the answer) is the best way to found out.

I also like to counter disinformation that I see on the boards, and even sometimes find out that I am wrong.

Last edited by Dave 90TT; 01-07-2007 at 09:33 PM.