Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Hydra ems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hydra ems

I called the company they said the standalone will be out in feb, and it will be able to control the variable camshafts. It will also be plug and play. Not bad for the price heh.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 PM
EM-EFER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
rocks

Its going to be like 2000$, but it beats an fcon because you can tune it and it can control your cams. It also has an autotune feature on it that interfaces with a wideband so it can continue to make corrections while your driving. I think i will be buying this when it comes out so that i can controll my cams. I wish everything aftermarket for the 350z wasnt such a secret. On most other cars there is free software to tune your ecu. http://www.hydraems.com/

It has 32x32 resolution like a fcon heh.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
EM-EFER

The FCON can also do Cam Phasing. It sounds like they will pretty much be exactly the same price. 3K for sensors and everything.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
rocks

Erm the hydra just plugs in. It uses all the factory sensors. I was not aware fcon could do cam phasing. The hydra is a full standalone the stock ecu is removed and the hydra plugs in. Thats what i got from talking to them on the phone. Fcon is like 3500$ installed if im right. Thats 1500$ more and you can not tune it yourself.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by rocks
Erm the hydra just plugs in. It uses all the factory sensors. I was not aware fcon could do cam phasing. The hydra is a full standalone the stock ecu is removed and the hydra plugs in. Thats what i got from talking to them on the phone. Fcon is like 3500$ installed if im right. Thats 1500$ more and you can not tune it yourself.

If that is all correct ... it will be awsome.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
MIAPLAYA

So they are controlling drive by wire too with the Hydra. That would be quite a leap forward..
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
So they are controlling drive by wire too with the Hydra. That would be quite a leap forward..
Intersting..Quite a liability also..
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Indeed...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
rocks

Not a liability if its in the contract when you buy it that they are not liable for it. You ever take a law class where they go over the warning labels for dumb people? Well all they have to do is provide a warning in a legal contract at purchase and its not thier fault anymore.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
MIAPLAYA

Not a liability if its in the contract when you buy it that they are not liable for it. You ever take a law class where they go over the warning labels for dumb people? Well all they have to do is provide a warning in a legal contract at purchase and its not thier fault anymore.
People get sued for liability even with labels and lose...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
rocks

I talked to them some more. It leaves the stock ecu in place because of the CANbus. The only thing the stock ecu controls is basically the dash board. It can also do things like boost by gear. Anti lag, launch controll. It will do drive by wire, it controls the idle, the stock ecu will have no control of the engine.
It currently controls the only the intake cam but they said they will have it controlling the exhaust cam in a future software upgrade.

The only bad thing about all this is you have to pay for software upgrades but he said they are around 50-75$. I downloaded the software and played with it, its easy to use.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

The Hydra is a very cool unit. It has an OEM style failsafe feature built in. It montors the two pedal position sensors and the two throttle position sensors. If the voltage on the two PPS sensors does not corolate or the voltage on the 2 TPS sensors does not corrolate then it goes into limp mode. Also if the voltages of the TPS and PPS are not corrolating it also sets a fault. It will only allow the throttle to open ~5% or so. It has worked flawlessly on the Subaru STI's for the past two years.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
rocks

I will be buying one after the phone conversations i have had with them. I have read about it on the subaru boards too and they have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Havok_RLS2

Looks like I'm gonna be selling my UTEC soon.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Havok_RLS2

I will be buying one after the phone conversations i have had with them. I have read about it on the subaru boards too and they have nothing but good things to say about it.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I had heard AEM solved the DBW but wasn't going to produce it because of the liability involved
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
rocks

Im just waiting on income taxes, should be enough for a hydra and some other things. To bad one of the companys i worked for last year waits untill the 31st to mail them.... If my drive by wire causes my car to take off thats when i put in neutral and turn the car off...

They are in the phase of building base maps now for it. So that means someone somewhere has a hydra on some 350zs.....
Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Im just waiting on income taxes, should be enough for a hydra and some other things. To bad one of the companys i worked for last year waits untill the 31st to mail them.... If my drive by wire causes my car to take off thats when i put in neutral and turn the car off...

They are in the phase of building base maps now for it. So that means someone somewhere has a hydra on some 350zs.....
Do you work for them?Cause this is the 19th time I have seen you mention the Hydra...FYI it bombed in the WRX world despite being a great unit.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 PM
rocks

No i dont work for them and i dont know where you are getting your info but it sure didnt bomb because they are using it on rally cars in the subaru world. It sure is funny a dealer can push a fcon like there is no tomorow but when someone that isnt a dealer or tuner likes a new system they get flamed for working for them.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/foru...c&daysprune=-1
Considering there are 350+ posts on it i dont think it bombed.

http://www.*********.com

Last edited by rocks; 01-19-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydra ems