Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Pics of my plugs... examine please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:27 PM
one350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my plugs... examine please!

They all looked the same which is good. I've only put about 500 miles and two bottles on them. They do have a very light Grey color with very minor speckling(you have to look very hard) but only on half of the porcelain, the other halves are white. Also, I don't see any issues with the ground strap. Do y'all think I'm running a tad lean. I run 110 on the 150 shot but I haven't sprayed in the last 150 miles or so. All the examples I've seen of plugs in a lean condition are much more discolored and have rounded ground straps. We data log often and the A/F always looks good.

Should I bump up the fuel jet? Your opinions!
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my plugs... examine please!-lots-of-pics-055-large-.jpg  
Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only way to really examine the plugs is to make a pass down the street, strip, etc. then **** off the engine immediately, and I mean immediately!!!! (as in while driving) then, check the plugs.

On these cars, it's not that easy to check plugs, but often times, you'll see a drag racer on the return road checking his plugs.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
techcontrol

Originally Posted by QuadCam
the only way to really examine the plugs is to make a pass down the street, strip, etc. then **** off the engine immediately, and I mean immediately!!!! (as in while driving) then, check the plugs.

On these cars, it's not that easy to check plugs, but often times, you'll see a drag racer on the return road checking his plugs.

British tuning method FTW! Be sure you don't lock the wheel when you shut it off @100MPH

To the OP,
Seriously though you will need close ups of the plugs for us to get an accurate picture of what is going on. You did not mention if you went to 1 step cooler plugs and what fuel you are using.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
xedes

I saw the title and thought you were talking about hair plugs.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+100
Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
one350zfan

If I have to check the plugs right after a run, well then, it ain't happening. I'll just trust the data logs.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 but by rights push in the clutch, turn off the motor and coast in to your chk point. Also, if your going to chk often start using a little anti-sieze on the threads---actually you should, no matter what.

Color on your plugs is pretty descent
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say your plugs look good!! They are not charcoal fouled or super white.. They are in good shape!! IMO..
Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by one350zfan
If I have to check the plugs right after a run, well then, it ain't happening. I'll just trust the data logs.
You logs could look good and your plugs could still be overheating a bit. Your AFR might be on the money but you're forgetting timing which will have as big of an effect on effective combustion temps as fueling. Data logs are just not a good way to tell if your plugs are doing fine or not. Someone already said it before. Take a car for a hard run, shut off the engine immediately, pull the plugs and examine them.

What heat range plugs are you using? Stock range? 1 step colder? Based on your mods, looks like you got considerable extra power going.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
You logs could look good and your plugs could still be overheating a bit. Your AFR might be on the money but you're forgetting timing which will have as big of an effect on effective combustion temps as fueling. Data logs are just not a good way to tell if your plugs are doing fine or not. Someone already said it before. Take a car for a hard run, shut off the engine immediately, pull the plugs and examine them.

What heat range plugs are you using? Stock range? 1 step colder? Based on your mods, looks like you got considerable extra power going.

One step colder. I'm going to the track in a few hours so last night I decided to check the plugs since I had the time. The ground strap and color looks.

We pull 2 degrees on the 150 shot and run it a bit rich on 110 octane.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, often people will check the plugs by shutting the car off suddenly while it's on the dyno (much safer than doing it on the street)