Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Cipher and UTEC timing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
h8bumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cipher and UTEC timing question

I bumped my timing 2 degrees with Cipher before installing my UTEC. Now when I data log timing with UTEC, it gives me different values than when I data log timing with Cipher.

Cipher is telling me my timing is still 2 degrees advanced, but UTEC is telling me the timing is NOT advanced. Which is correct???
Attached Thumbnails Cipher and UTEC timing question-cg4e.jpg  
Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by h8bumps
I bumped my timing 2 degrees with Cipher before installing my UTEC. Now when I data log timing with UTEC, it gives me different values than when I data log timing with Cipher.

Cipher is telling me my timing is still 2 degrees advanced, but UTEC is telling me the timing is NOT advanced. Which is correct???
When the UTEC is installed and you are in a UTEC Load Site with Timing plugged into the map, the car will run the UTEC Timing not what the factory ecu wants to run. Your cipher logger will be incorrect and your UTEC Mod. Ignition will be correct.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM
h8bumps

But what if my UTEC timing map is all 'ECU'?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 AM
BlackTuner

But what if my UTEC timing map is all 'ECU'?
Actually the values look very similar. The timestamp points are not the same yet they are still very close. It won't be exact for that reason.

Jermaine~
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
h8bumps

There are a couple points where the difference is less than 2 degrees, but for the most part there is a 2 degree discrepancy between what UTEC is reading and what Cipher is reading. That's pretty significant.

I just want to know if UTEC can't read the 2 degree timing bump that I did with Cipher, or if UTEC is somehow preventing that timing bump.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Is this discrepency on the stock map (map 0)?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
h8bumps

Yes, that data was all from map 0.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
BlackTuner

The UTEC is only interpreting the factory ecu timing curve. It is not being manipulated just "watching". From the logs you are showing me it looks fine. The time stamps for each log are not the same yet they are still very close.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What if you use cipher to change timing to -2 degrees instead of +2 and see what the UTEC says after that.

This looks similar to what happened with me and my EU -- tried to advance timing with EU but I believe stock ECU pulled timing back. Advancing timing with cipher worked just fine though.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM
350zfred5283

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wired --> It's a little tougher to bump the timing by 2° with UTEC because you have to change the entire map and not knowing what each target value is for each load/RPM value. With Cipher, it is possible to bump the entire load v RPM map without knowing the initial value.

h8bumps, I don't think UTEC is working right... This is what I would do:

- Log at IDLE with Cipher no bump
- Log at IDLE with Cipher 2° bump
- Create a map with Cipher bumping 2° @ 0%-10% load from IDLE data (ECU for rest of timing map)
- Log at IDLE with Cipher on the 2° bump @ 0%-10% load UTEC map

Also, change the range on your Y-axis for your excel charts so the difference is more apparant (you only need a range of 10°).

Late,
Nick

Last edited by 350zfred5283; 05-30-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
h8bumps

Sitting at idle, I was able to hook up both Cipher and UTEC and log simultaneously. At idle, there was over a degree difference between what Cipher read and what UTEC read for timing.

Also, when I moved my timing back down 2 degrees with Cipher, UTEC's timing readout moved lower 2 degrees. So it wasn't just the 2 degree bump that was causing the issue.

I'm just trying to figure out which is reading my timing correctly, UTEC or Cipher. I guess my next step is to create a timing map and log it with Cipher to see if it coincides. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Attached Thumbnails Cipher and UTEC timing question-cgdf.jpg  
Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

The possibility exists that they are both reading timing correctly. This depends on where the stock ECU and where the UTEC take their timing information from. The stock ecu may be reading off the base timing table or the mean timing table. Mean is the final ignition timing once modifiers have been introducted (ie - IAT, CLT, Knock, etc). The UTEC may be reading the final output of the ECU or it may be reading a different OBDII code but I assume it is not using the OBDII interface becasue the Cypher and UTEC can operate at the same time wihtout interfering with each other. This means that most likely the UTEC is measuring the actual output of the stock ecu to the coils and comparing that to its own CAS information. These are only educated guesses BTW. BlackTuner might be able to provide more insight.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:59 AM
KPierson
Banned

I'm just trying to figure out which is reading my timing correctly, UTEC or Cipher. I guess my next step is to create a timing map and log it with Cipher to see if it coincides. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
The Cipher will NOT read modified UTEC timing correctly.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by KPierson
The Cipher will NOT read modified UTEC timing correctly.
Right, becuse the factory ecu is not driving the car. This means when ever you have a timing value in the UTEC Map and assuming you are on this same active map. The utec is firing your Ignition Coils. Your engine ignition timing can be found in the Mod. Ingnition Column.

With that said the UTEC reads the actual ignition #1 signal output from ecu. No factors, no comps, raw output to the coils.

Jermaine~
Attached Thumbnails Cipher and UTEC timing question-zignition1signal.jpg  

Last edited by BlackTuner; 06-06-2007 at 06:15 AM.