Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Innovate LM-1 and LMA-3 Aux Box to 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
MrBlack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Innovate LM-1 and LMA-3 Aux Box to 350Z

Is here anyone who has installed Innovate Motorsport LM1 wideband lambda and LMA3 AuxBox to 350Z?

I need some help to get RPM reading…I guess this is some programming/setup problem, but I can't get any good support from Innovate Motorsport.
I already sent my units back once for the checkup, but I guess they didn't find anything wrong (at least I couldn't get answer if something was broken or not).

I did read LM1 and LMA3 User Manuals (and tried my best to understand what they say), and I did follow Innovate Motorsports own installation supplement for 350Z/G35 (link below), but can't still get RPM reading through LogWorks2 (neither with LM1 nor standalone LMA3).
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...5_G35_350z.php

Here's step by step what did I do and try already...

First phase:
1. I installed and calibrated LM-1, and that works fine.
(AFR value both through LogWorks2 on laptop computer and as a standalone (LM-1 own display)).

Second phase:
1. I took LMA-3 Auxbox, but I didn't mount it permanently (G-force sensor), because I only wanted to get RPM reading first.
2. I connected one wire from 350Z's (ECU) ECM Harness connector Pin 62 (Cyl1, ignition signal) to CH1+ (no ground or any other wires)
(or course I did check first from Service Manual that those pins are in same order in my 2005 model 350Z 35th Anniversary Edition)
3. I connected LMA-3 to LM-1 with included cable (P/N 3748), like in LMA-3 User Manual picture 2.2 (No terminator to LMA3 at this point)
4. I turned LM-1 power switch on, and that "rotating" red lights starts to run on LMA-3 display.
5. I programmed LMA-3 as descriped in User Manual (channel 1 function 1)
6. I did check that LM-1 is connected to my laptop with included serial cable P/N 3741
7. I opened the LogWorks2 program
8. I started my car and I could read correct AFR on first "gauge", but second "gauge" shows about 0-10 RPM (no change with engine rpm)

Phase three:
1. Same as above, but I connected CH1- to the ECM connector ground (car body) -> No help still same around 0-10 rpm

Phase four:
1. I disconnected LMA-3 from LM-1 and connected LMA-3 Auxbox (power from LM1 though) directly to my Laptop with included programmer cable P/N 3746
(WITH terminator plug)…Now I could read some weird RPM reading (vary randomly between around 600-2800, and when I press throttle a little bit, like to 1200 RPM, "gauge" goes to Zero and returns to that weird reading when I release gas pedal)

Phase five:
1. I did program LMA-3 like this (like in LMA-3 User Manual 6.3):
Channel 1 Functionality 1 and then I did press "calibrate" button to change number of cylinders...
I did try 1 and after that 6, but again, No help.
I programmed it back to Channel 1 Functionality 1 Cylinder 1...

Phase six:
1. As phase one and two, but instead of Pin62 I connected wire from the Cylinder #1 coil "Loop Wire" (positive) to CH1+, and no ground connection to CH1-.
Same as before, No effect.
2. Same as above, but I connected CH1- to the car body/ground -> Same situation, No help.

And of course in between every of these changes I stopped car engine and turned off both LM-1 and LMA-3 and so on basic stuff…
I did check firmware versions from both LM-1 and LMA-3 too, and those are latest what they have on Innovate Motorsport support webpage.

So my questions are:
1. Are those units so "dummy" that they loose settings when power is down for a second? I don't think so, but if somebody knows better...
Because I take power (12V) from car cigarette lighter, which of course powers down for a second when I start the car.
(only cigarette lighter power wire/plug was included in LM1 sales package)

2. How should I setup/program those units correctly with 350Z (6 cylinder, 1 coil per cylinder), and where to get better signal, or what is the problem?
Did I miss some settings from LogWorks2 (or other programming)?

3. Help Pleeeese!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
MrBlack

Default And LMA3 Aux Box installation project continues...

Today I started like this.

1. I connected LM1 and LMA3 AuxBox straight to car battery, so that they don't power off during the engine start for that 1 second...No help.

2. Then I removed LM1, and I used LMA3 AuxBox as a standalone unit. I took power straight from the car battery...No help.

3. I started to doubt if that whole system is working at all, so I connected a hose from MAP sensor to my intake manifold...That works!

4. I connected wire from LMA3 CH1+ to cylinder #1 ignition coil negative side (ground),
(that was actually only hint I've got from Innovative Motorsport in one email)...But that didn't help either.
Then I connected wire from CH1- to the ground...No help.

5. Then I tried to connect CH1+ to same Cyl #1 ignition coil positive wire...No help....Then ground wire to CH1-...No help.

I'm running out of wires now....I have tried all 3 wires from Cylinder #1 ignition coil...Both, with and without ground, and I still can't get it working.
I have tried to use LMA3 Aux Box alone, and with LM1, and no difference.
I have been trying to change settings from LMA3 with LM Programmer, and directly from setup buttons, basically all 1 to 6 cylinder settings, and it just doesn't work.

LM1 AFR is working fine, and also LMA3 MAP sensor (intake manifold pressure) and Acceleration sensor (g-force) are working, but I need some help to setup that RPM reading...

Is there any other tricks?
Next thing I guess is that I have to buy that "Inductive Clamp" from Innovate Motorsport, because it look like that I just can't get it working without?!?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
UpRev
Banned

Have you contact Innovate yet? You may have a bad product and all the trying of all these scenarios isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
MrBlack

Default Yes I did contact Innovate Motorsports...

I did contact them and they actually advice that I sent my units back for inspection, but after I got those back I haven't heard anything from them...

I was trying to get the answer what did they do to test those units, and was there something wrong, but never got any answers.

I will still try to get more help from them, but looks like that their Customer Support really sucks...
Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
MrBlack

Default Finally...

I got it working!

I borrowed some good equipments, example an oscilloscope, from work and measured the ignition coil signal (if there is any interfering signals) from Pin62 of ECM connector etc. and everything was perfect.

Then my conclusion was that there is something wrong with the units for sure, and I decided to update/re-program LMA3 AuxBox first, just in case, and after that it started to work in standalone mode.
LMA3 AuxBox's Firmware was somehow corrupted, because it already had newest firmware...

Funny thing is that I sent AuxBox already once back to Innovate Motorsport for inspection, and they didn't notice that...
I guess they didn't even bother to open the package.

I don't have so much good to say about their Customer Support, even if the product is good...
Actually there is no real customer support, and User Manual has so many mistakes and flaws as well, that it's pretty useless if you have any problems.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 AM
JCstart

it is my second innovate wb... and I still have this problem... I miss my old AEM...

for now, my opinion to the others is do not touch innovate if you like it easy...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
xav_350z

Originally Posted by JCstart

for now, my opinion to the others is do not touch innovate if you like it easy...
i have the Zeitronix on my z , i read in an article (WB02 reviews and comparaison ) that its reads 0.4 richer...
Might switch to LC1
Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by xav_350z
i have the Zeitronix on my z , i read in an article (WB02 reviews and comparaison ) that its reads 0.4 richer...
Might switch to LC1
I'd have to seriously doubt that, they both use the same bosch sensor and froggy at Zeitronix is a pretty damned intelligent guy. I know that alot of the EVO guys run the Zeitronix because of the 4 line read out LCD display, and they aren't reporting any issues with them.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by JCstart
it is my second innovate wb... and I still have this problem... I miss my old AEM...

We use the Innovate here all the time. It's also our backup AFR for the dyno. We have nary a problem with it. Every company is going to have a bad unit from time to time, thats why they have warranties
Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
xav_350z

Originally Posted by UpRev
I'd have to seriously doubt that, they both use the same bosch sensor and froggy at Zeitronix is a pretty damned intelligent guy. I know that alot of the EVO guys run the Zeitronix because of the 4 line read out LCD display, and they aren't reporting any issues with them.
Actually the problem is the controller itself not the Sensor....
i'll try to find the article.
Btw i also tuned my evo with Zeitronix (GEMS standalone)