Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris Tune Twin Turbo Greddy 404HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
I dont think peope said that, you are making things up. You are not the first one to do it so we all know there are guys running Orisis on an FI'd car. Some people just prefer Utec including me coz it offer more feature that Osiris dont have YET.
Lots of people here said you would never be able to safely tune a boosted car with Osiris and an OEM ECU. That has now proven to be true. There are not a lot of boosted cars tuned with Osiris, but there are a few. Most of the boosted cars tuned completely with Osiris have been tuned by the UpRev guys themselves.

Here are some of the advantage of Utec.
1. Boost Control
2. Easy to work with Water/Meth and Nitrous
3. Has active knock control above 5000rpm (ECU stop monitoring knock above 5000rpm which I believe is a must since in a race you stay above 5000rpm most of the time)
4. Can work with a Standalone Wibeband so self tuning/logging is easier and more accurate.
You are absolutely correct here. The OEM ECU can not control devices that it was not designed to communicate with. The OEM ECU has no idea what nitrous is, nor how to control it.

There are also third party software that work very well with Utec and very useful. When I race I usually have my laptop on (dont have my CarPC yet) and the software does the auto logging for me and it also gives out sound when coolant, rpm, overboost, knock reach a certain threshold. I'm addicted to it coz when driving hard I just focus on my driving and rely on the sound if something is wrong. Osiris is very promising but it is not above Utec yet.. just my .02
One of the advantages of using Osiris and tuning the OEM ECU is that the cars drivability returns to normal. There are no idle issues... no jerky driving... everything is more seamless. I'm not saying that all UTEC cars have these issues, but a lot of them do.

The only advantage the UTEC still has is price and availability. It's a lot cheaper than a full standalone and it will still control the devices you mentioned above. Lots of people have them, and lots of Tuners can tune them... They will still be around for a while, but I think their popularity is starting to fade.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the right maf scaling the factory maf can get you 400whp, No need to install the upgraded maf .We made close to 600whp with the osiris software and still using factory mafs....

here is the link

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...k-testing.html

sam
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Athen not really a big accomplishment here. Waiting for more nuthuggers to say Osiris is better then the best, yea 4get Piggybacks
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
With the right maf scaling the factory maf can get you 400whp, No need to install the upgraded maf .We made close to 600whp with the osiris software and still using factory mafs....

here is the link

sam
That's not fair comparison, Sam.

You're talking about an HR engine with two (2) MAF sensors. That changes the playing field and eliminates the limitations the single OEM MAF sensor has.

Have you tuned a 600whp Z with Osiris and a single OEM MAF sensor like the original poster is talking about?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by __jb
Lots of people here said you would never be able to safely tune a boosted car with Osiris and an OEM ECU. That has now proven to be true. There are not a lot of boosted cars tuned with Osiris, but there are a few. Most of the boosted cars tuned completely with Osiris have been tuned by the UpRev guys themselves.
I bet those are just the ignorant ones that said an OEM ECU wont be able to work with boost at all. There are also ignorant people here that said piggy back is a waste and a reflash is better Reflash can work but there are to many flaws, now for reflash nuthugger to say that Osiris is the bomb and Utec is crap is just ridiculous.

You are absolutely correct here. The OEM ECU can not control devices that it was not designed to communicate with. The OEM ECU has no idea what nitrous is, nor how to control it.

One of the advantages of using Osiris and tuning the OEM ECU is that the cars drivability returns to normal. There are no idle issues... no jerky driving... everything is more seamless. I'm not saying that all UTEC cars have these issues, but a lot of them do.
Yes, the one main advantage of the reflash is the drivability but not all Utec car has this problem (its all in the tune).

The only advantage the UTEC still has is price and availability. It's a lot cheaper than a full standalone and it will still control the devices you mentioned above. Lots of people have them, and lots of Tuners can tune them... They will still be around for a while, but I think their popularity is starting to fade.
I mentioned 4 of my concern and never even mentioned the price and availability on that list (so now I have 6 on the list now).. lol I dont think price is the only advantage For basic application then yes Osiris will do the job fine but for people who want more and prefer safety then Utec is still above Osiris. Fine Osiris has the drivability edge but that is it... Now tell me are Osiris guys happy that the ECU dont monitor knock above 5000rpm? I have had 2 bad tank of gas incident and Utec active knock control saved my car, not to mention I had knocking problem at the track because of heatsoaked!! I was also in a NYC spirited cruise when my injector wasnt opening right so I ran lean (I had my laptop on and UTI software start beeping when it detected knock) and it was a good I have Utec to pull some timing to stop knocking.

Now for self tuner, do you want to keep going to a dyno just to tune your car? Utec has 3rd party support for WB, I dont care what they say but I wont trust the OEM 02 sensor to be accurate below 11.5:1, for self tuner then Utec is still better IMO. Utec does also log knock so you know where to make adjustment on the tune, I dont know if Osiris has knock logging capability but if it did then how accurate coz ECU dont monitor knock on the higher rpm. How can you do a street tune without knowing if you are detonating already?

I'm not hating on the Osiris, I just want to correct some of the reflash nuthugger saying that people are just brainwashed to use Utec. There is a reason why some still prefer Utec.

Last edited by athenG; 01-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I bet those are just the ignorant ones that said an OEM ECU wont be able to work with boost at all. There are also ignorant people here that said piggy back is a waste and a reflash is better Reflash can work but there are to many flaws, now for reflash nuthugger to say that Osiris is the bomb and Utec is crap is just ridiculous.

Yes, the one main advantage of the reflash is the drivability but not all Utec car has this problem (its all in the tune).

I mentioned 4 of my concern and never even mentioned the price and availability on that list (so now I have 6 on the list now).. lol I dont think price is the only advantage For basic application then yes Osiris will do the job fine but for people who want more and prefer safety then Utec is still above Osiris. Fine Osiris has the drivability edge but that is it... Now tell me are Osiris guys happy that the ECU dont monitor knock above 5000rpm? I have had 2 bad tank of gas incident and Utec active knock control saved my car, not to mention I had knocking problem at the track because of heatsoaked!! I was also in a NYC spirited cruise when my injector wasnt opening right so I ran lean (I had my laptop on and UTI software start beeping when it detected knock) and it was a good I have Utec to pull some timing to stop knocking.

Now for self tuner, do you want to keep going to a dyno just to tune your car? Utec has 3rd party support for WB, I dont care what they say but I wont trust the OEM 02 sensor to be accurate below 11.5:1, for self tuner then Utec is still better IMO. Utec does also log knock so you know where to make adjustment on the tune, I dont know if Osiris has knock logging capability but if it did then how accurate coz ECU dont monitor knock on the higher rpm. How can you do a street tune without knowing if you are detonating already?

I'm not hating on the Osiris, I just want to correct some of the reflash nuthugger saying that people are just brainwashed to use Utec. There is a reason why some still prefer Utec.
Wow, you are ignorant and probably never worked with Oasis ever. Oasis can do so much more than UTEC can even touch. It also can tune much better than a utec that a lot of vendors are now switching to them instead.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Wow, you are ignorant and probably never worked with Oasis ever. Oasis can do so much more than UTEC can even touch. It also can tune much better than a utec that a lot of vendors are now switching to them instead.
STFU, I was offered to try Osiris and did look at the manual and looked at what it does.. Now answer my concern coz those are the ones I care about. Stop the nuthugging!!! I have had email discussion with Jared about my concern and was offered a sick deal to try Osiris, at the end of the day I decided to stick with Utec. Active knock control is important to me coz I have had experience with bad gas, heat soak problem... Uprev dont monitor knock above 5000rpm and if knock is detected below 5000rpm it just basically switched to a high.det map. Performance suffer tremendously if you basically switched to a different map instead of just pulling timing on the RPM/load you are knocking. I do my tuning and a reliable Wideband is a must for me too which Osiris dont offer yet!! I also have a Map base water/meth and it will be difficult to tune it with Osiris...Answer my concern before you start calling my ignorant!!!

Last edited by athenG; 01-02-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

STFU, I was offered to try Osiris and did look at the manual and looked at what it does.. Now answer my concern coz those are the ones I care about. Stop the nuthugging!!! I have had email discussion with Jared about my concern and was offered a sick deal to try Osiris, at the end of the day I decided to stick with Utec. Active knock control is important to me coz I have had experience with bad gas, heat soak problem... Uprev dont monitor knock above 5000rpm and if knock is detected below 5000rpm it just basically switched to a high.det map. Performance suffer tremendously if you basically switched to a different map instead of just pulling timing on the RPM/load you are knocking. I do my tuning and a reliable Wideband is a must for me too which Osiris dont offer yet!! I also have a Map base water/meth and it will be difficult to tune it with Osiris...Answer my concern before you start calling my ignorant!!!
Talk to GTM or Forged, etc. They use UPREV. Obviously they see no problem if you can't monitor knock supposedly above that why would they use it and take a chance on blowing their engines up? LOL!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

That's not fair comparison, Sam.

You're talking about an HR engine with two (2) MAF sensors. That changes the playing field and eliminates the limitations the single OEM MAF sensor has.

Have you tuned a 600whp Z with Osiris and a single OEM MAF sensor like the original poster is talking about?
True..... One MAF is very limited which is why i had to upgrade to a TITAN MAF....
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
athenG

Talk to GTM or Forged, etc. They use UPREV. Obviously they see no problem if you can't monitor knock supposedly above that why would they use it and take a chance on blowing their engines up? LOL!
It is easier to detect knock on the dyno but hard on the street. My car was perfect when I left MRC but the tuner cannot replicate every condition you will encounter on the street. I'm not the only one who suffered from a bad tank of Gas, this is the reason I dont go to Mobile/Exxon anymore!!! I speak from experience, a perfect tune in a dyno shop doesnt mean it will hold on the street every time!!

I posted my concern on the Osiris thread and Uprve themselves dont have answer to the 2 most important thing for me which is third party WB support (for easier and more accurate logging and tuning) and Knock detection on all rpm..

https://my350z.com/forum/6491698-post1362.html

Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
JonnyC

For being such an UpRev nuthugger, I would think you would at least know the name of the product that ANOTHER shop used to flash your car. Until you do tuning yourself like athenG (starting from a good tuned basemap, like myself), I definitely would not be calling people ignorant. You're not even F/I'd either, so there are a whole host of issues that you don't have to deal with.

I have to say, fanboys help turn me off to a product. The more and more blind praise I see for a product or company (while bashing other products), the more it makes me not want to buy it.

Last edited by JonnyC; 01-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
athenG

lol I forgot about one more feature that Utec has that Osiris dont have.. Utec also has an overboost protection. My boost is always steady and never hit the overboost cutoff but it is a very nice safety net for turbo cars just in case vacuum line get pinched or wastage fail. Detonation and overboost can kill motor and Utec has them covered, so to say a Reflash is FAR SUPERIOR than Utec is just crazy.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by JonnyC
For being such an UpRev nuthugger, I would think you would at least know the name of the product that ANOTHER shop used to flash your car. Until you do tuning yourself like athenG (starting from a good tuned basemap, like myself), I definitely would not be calling people ignorant. You're not even F/I'd either, so there are a whole host of issues that you don't have to deal with.

I have to say, fanboys help turn me off to a product. The more and more blind praise I see for a product or company (will bashing other products), the more it makes me not want to buy it.
Excuse me. I have only had it for 3 weeks on my car. So get a life. Osiris is the name and that is a common mistake.

I am not a UPREV nuthugger. But I could say the same about you guys and UTEC. I have seen what they can do unlike yourself. Why mouth off about a product that you have no clue about? How DO YOU KNOW I don't know how to tune? I have had other cars in the past tuned and modded with boost. This car I have no need for that now. My car was the prototype that UPREV needed to make the tune for the HR and make sure their software worked. So I let them have it for a week. I trust what the other tuners like GTM, Church have seen with UPREV and they highly recommend it over the piggy backs.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 01-02-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
athenG

Are we talking about Osiris with boost or Osiris on NA car? On NA then it will be one of my top choice but with boost I just need more extra protection. I believe this thread is all about Osiris handling FI'd car which I have never doubted it can work. For some drivability is their #1 concern, for some safety is more important. I value protection more because I'm on stock block, I'm confident I can redline my car and not worry about blowing my motor if I overboost or experience detonation coz I know Utec can protect me against it. When I'm doing WOT race I have no time to look at my guage and just hope that my EMS will do what it needs to protect my motor.. just my .02
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
JonnyC

Well we can agree to disagree then.

athenG - Thanks for bringing those points to my attention. While I would like to have the hiccup and hot start issues fixed, having boost control, knock detection/timing retard, and boost cutoff is more important.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

wow another thread thats gonna be solo against 10 bc u wanna run ur mouth and start ****. All was said that for FI utec is a better way to go bc of the safety methods the osiris doesnt have yet. U nuthug on this just like u do on that HR thread where u got ur as$ burned. lets see FI which is what this thread is about and hmm one cost alot more then the other and the other has been on the market for a while and tuners are more use to using it and it has more safety features then the other. hmmmmm Seems one is better

Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Wow you fail at english as usual. Last I saw you got owned in that thread.

It's funny how you know nothing about cars.

https://my350z.com/forum/6753205-post14.html LOL!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Wow you fail at english as usual. Last I saw you got owned in that thread.

It's funny how you know nothing about cars.

https://my350z.com/forum/6753205-post14.html LOL!
Oh man u got me. Wow cant believe u got me that bad......
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
frankie945

Utec Osiris I'm sticking with my Utec for awhile....
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Guess it's not safe.

Quick Reply: Osiris Tune Twin Turbo Greddy 404HP