Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Need help with POS Innovate LC-1...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
SdwysFairlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Innovate LC-1...

I've searched and searched these forums for answers, and all I come up with is COMPLETELY random *** threads..so I apologize if this has been discussed.

I recently installed a Vortech kit on my Z, and installed an Innovate LC-1 which is apparently a piece of. First startup after the install, the gauge just read "7.4" and wouldn't move at ALL, so I installed the LED, and the error code it flashed was Error 8, "Usually damaged sensor".
So I thought, ok thats easy to fix, get a new sensor and my car is on the road! Borrowed a sensor from my friends car, which I KNOW works, put it in my car, fired it up, guess what? Still reads 7.4 (and randomly yet rarely jumps to 21.x)and flashes Error 8 code.

I'm getting incredibly fed up with this LC1, as I am afraid to drive my car not knowing where my A/F is at, and I'd REALLY like to take it out of the garage. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much guys,
-Craig

Last edited by SdwysFairlady; 04-14-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
fstrnldr

First thing is make sure you are calibrating the sensor properly when you install them. Second thing is hook it up to a laptop and make sure it is set to gasoline for the type of fuel you're using. If neither of those fixes the problem, then download the latest firmware off the innovate site, and update the firmware. And if none of those three things works, its probably going to have to go back to innovate for repair.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 AM
SdwysFairlady

Ok heres where I sit, I have tried calibrating the sensor many a time, I do the calibration, doesn't matter if its in free air or in exhaust gas, I hold the button for three seconds, a few seconds later it jumps to 21.8, then just falls to 7.4 again. I had it working, I just kept calibrating it and the 4th time I did it, it worked for about 5 seconds and sat at around 12.5, then fell to 7.4, and tried it about 20 times again and it didn't work. Calibrate, jump to 21.8, fall to 7.4, over and over and over.

This is incredibly frustrating because my car is DONE! I want to be able to get it on the road, but I'm not gonna trust the tune that's on my UTEC without being able to moniter my A/F.

Unfortunately I don't have a cord to hook up to my computer, but I don't think its the wrong setting...I ordered a cord but it still hasn't shown up.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM
fstrnldr

as much as i love innovate products, they can be a bit flaky at times. Is this new or used? why don't you have the cable? they always come w/ it new, hopefully you can get it figured out once you get the cable and can see what its really doing.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM
gmx

I have the same problem I bought one it also show me 7. something I did the calibration
I did everything possible to fix but I couldn’t do anything with it I throw it away
and bought haltech wideband

I hope you find the problem ^_^
Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM
UpRev
Banned

Contacted the manufacturer for support yet?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Seb-Specialty-Z

Who did the actual install of the unit?

We've had great success with Innovate's line of products throughout the years.
I've typically seen installer\user error when finding problems.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen lots of guys with issues with them when mine crapped out it was the brain unit it wouldn't read anything and kept showing the ERR code. Most of the ones I have seen fail it was the brain they should replace it under warranty if thats the case.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM
SdwysFairlady

Haha, actually got it figured out, went over the wiring and everything looked fine, so I just said screw it and bought a new sensor, and now it works fine! Its just incredibly ironic that this sensor worked a week or two ago on my friends cars, and now I try it on mine and its junk. Boo.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and help!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
garage-c

Innovative widebands are the suck OP. eBay it and get yourself a PLX...

http://www.plxdevices.com/
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently having the same issue with mine. I tried to recalibrate it about 100 times and it has not worked. I contacted Innovate and I have tried everything they said and it is not working, so maybe it is a bad sensor like you've got. I have had my wideband on my car for about a year though. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
I am currently having the same issue with mine. I tried to recalibrate it about 100 times and it has not worked. I contacted Innovate and I have tried everything they said and it is not working, so maybe it is a bad sensor like you've got. I have had my wideband on my car for about a year though. Thanks for the input.
take the lc-1 off the sensor and clean all the connections. Check and clean all your grounds. When you hook it back up go through the initial startup procedure to heat calibrate then free air cal it.

After a year the sensor could have randomly went bad depending on what type of fuel you run or how rich the car is. O2 sensors are very sensitive and can be damaged easily.

My innovate has had some hiccups but it's almost always somehting with the setup (ground come loose, wire not seated properly in the MTS chain, need a recal)
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
XChacalX

I had the same problem last year and ended up after few months later to connect it to my laptop and i did an firmware update and a reset from the laptop , since then , the unit work Perfect ! never had any problem
Old 08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XChacalX
I had the same problem last year and ended up after few months later to connect it to my laptop and i did an firmware update and a reset from the laptop , since then , the unit work Perfect ! never had any problem
ya, i think people aren't connecting them to the computer to program them for the car first like it says to.

A fresh install of the firmware almost always fixes the problems. Those programs get messed up very easily.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Innovate support forums are plagued with users frustrated with their wideband hardware. I have a full innovate setup (2 XD16s, auxbox, SSI-4, sensors) and I left off the widebands because of all the issues people were having (seemingly random). I installed a turboXS tuner reg - no problems over 2 years. I have had my Haltech dual widebands for the last year - also no problem.

Sensor life seems to be poor with the innovate hardware - and that's a reflection of that particular design. Too bad sensor life data is not published in articles comparing widebands (where Innovate always come out on top for accuracy).

Last edited by rcdash; 08-26-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for those who are using the LC-1, where have you guys installed / attached the head unit?

the extension from the o2 sensor is very short so it looks like the head unit would have to sit on or be mounted very close to the tranny. the sales folks at innovate seem to think that's OK, but i think mounting the 'brain' away from heat & water (battery/brake compartment?) would be much better. thanks

Last edited by - bigc -; 11-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

I have this same iussue...I hate my Lc1 now. I bought it because it was supposed to be accurate. Guess Ill have to breakdown and do the software upgrades and set up.

No where would that cable be.....
Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I had mine replaced under warranty it lasted about 2 weeks and crapped out again. The whole thing was uninstalled and completely reinstalled by two different guys. I am would not advise anyone to buy an Innovate mine has worked for a total of 1 month out of the two years i have had it. I had to buy another one so i had something for all of the time mine spends getting warranty work
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
350z 6spd

Originally Posted by - bigc -
for those who are using the LC-1, where have you guys installed / attached the head unit?

the extension from the o2 sensor is very short so it looks like the head unit would have to sit on or be mounted very close to the tranny. the sales folks at innovate seem to think that's OK, but i think mounting the 'brain' away from heat & water (battery/brake compartment?) would be much better. thanks
I mounted it on top of the transmission crossmember.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:26 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ thanks man. after the previous 2 posts, i'm wondering if I should have just got the PLX AFR module and hooked it up to my multigauge

Quick Reply: Need help with POS Innovate LC-1...