Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Stay with Utec or go with the Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burner
I had my car dyno tuned @ Uprev and they did an awesome job. I noticed a huge improvement, and the guys down there really know what they are doing. My car is N/A with most of the bolt-ons.

I am looking into going FI now (Vortech) and am wondering if Osiris can handle a moderate FI setup like that. Guess I need to call them and find out...
If you already have the uprev then you can stay with it. Uprev does work with FI and you just pay a little bit more for tuning.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
eXe-Chris
Banned

UpRev works perfect with my FI.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ whats your setup ?
i guess i'll be using UPREV with my APS TT build...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
tiguy99

Subscribing for updates. Why doesn't Uprev come out with an FI specific tune that addresses all the knock timing issues AthensG mentioned on page one?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

tiguy if it was a problem Forged and other places like GTM wouldn't be using there product now would they? Do you believe everything someone says on the internet that doesn't even own their product? I wouldn't and that is all I will say now.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Subscribing for updates. Why doesn't Uprev come out with an FI specific tune that addresses all the knock timing issues AthensG mentioned on page one?
BEcause Uprev works off the stock ECU and the stock ECU doesnt monitor what athensG mentioned.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
burner

Originally Posted by eXe-Chris
UpRev works perfect with my FI.
What kind of FI setup are you running?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
BEcause Uprev works off the stock ECU and the stock ECU doesnt monitor what athensG mentioned.
I heard someone mention a Osirus/Utec hybrid setup. If it can be tuned to address both pros/cons on both ends why not?

What could be the downside to this other than paying a little more for the tune and a little more time for the tuner to perfect it to their liking?

It would seem like a good solution and an alternative to buying a more expensive stand alone unit especially if you have modest power goals.

I have to continue my research into both systems and see how together they can better benefit an end user before I decide what I would do in this case. In theory if it works, why not use both and end this debate?

I can see one advantage...the DIYer can install their kit and drive to the tuner if they have a working Utec map setup. If you rely on the Osiris alone, wouldn't you have to tow the car to the tuner to have them load and tune the system before you can safely drive it?

Last edited by tiguy99; 04-30-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
tranceformer95

The last time I checked, Gothchick is running a setup like that. I talked to her about this, her reasoning is:

1) UTEC allows for on the fly tuning by herself
2) Osiris adds stability to the tune

It's expensive and overkill for bolt-on NA setup, IMHO. $600+ alone for the UTEC w/o tuning. and another $700 for e-tune version of osiris, more if you get the kit that you can tune yourself.

But now that the tuner version of osiris is out, there's really no need for utec + osiris if you want to DIY tune. Reflashing takes less than 5 minutes with osiris.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:57 AM
tiguy99

So can you do a DIY project, install the UTEC, have the car up and running then decide to drive over to an Uprev dealer and have them load up Osiris and have a super smooth driving car?

I know it sounds like one long run on sentence but I'm curious if this is a new path worth looking into as well. Some kits include a Utec in the box already so we save costs there. I guess it all boils down to getting it perfectly tuned and then factor in the Osiris. Did Gothchick say how much it cost her in the end to have both EMS?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to search for her thread and read up on her build to see if she has any downsides to running both systems
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
derek173

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
I've been in that situation before. Utec tuned w/ NA bolt-on's then ditched it for the Osiris tune from Uprev, and never looked back.
same, and it was a night and day difference. Osiris is great.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
burner

My question is this: with a Vortech setup, goals of about 400whp, be reachable with just Osiris (no Utec) or am I going to run into any issues?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
JonnyC

eXe-Chris has the STS setup. I'm actually curious how this worked out. You went to GRD to have the tune done?

tiguy - I think if you were going to spend that much money for the UTEC + Osiris, you might as well go Haltech. I kind of wish I went that route from the start, but UTEC + Tuner wideband has been pretty cost effective for me.

burner - I think you'll be fine with Osiris, you'll just need the upgraded MAF sensor. It should actually work well with Vortech setups, as there's really no need to for boost cut-off - one of the main reasons I would stick with my UTEC over Osiris. If something happened to my vacuum line running all of the way back to my wastegate (STS system), I would be SOL.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Snow-G

Originally Posted by JonnyC
eXe-Chris has the STS setup. I'm actually curious how this worked out. You went to GRD to have the tune done?

tiguy - I think if you were going to spend that much money for the UTEC + Osiris, you might as well go Haltech. I kind of wish I went that route from the start, but UTEC + Tuner wideband has been pretty cost effective for me.

burner - I think you'll be fine with Osiris, you'll just need the upgraded MAF sensor. It should actually work well with Vortech setups, as there's really no need to for boost cut-off - one of the main reasons I would stick with my UTEC over Osiris. If something happened to my vacuum line running all of the way back to my wastegate (STS system), I would be SOL.
AHH! Reading this thread just makes it harder for me to decide on the OP's original question. I also have the Utec, and really want something else because of all the notorious issues. Problem is that I don't want to spend 3K for a new system and tuning (Haltech, Fcon) especially after already buying a Utec that was supposed to be everything I needed. The turn around time and upgrade availablity is very appealing from Uprev as far as the flash goes, however my tuner is not familar with Uprev and would rather me go with a Hydra system. Hmmmm
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by Snow-G
AHH! Reading this thread just makes it harder for me to decide on the OP's original question. I also have the Utec, and really want something else because of all the notorious issues. Problem is that I don't want to spend 3K for a new system and tuning (Haltech, Fcon) especially after already buying a Utec that was supposed to be everything I needed. The turn around time and upgrade availablity is very appealing from Uprev as far as the flash goes, however my tuner is not familar with Uprev and would rather me go with a Hydra system. Hmmmm
Some of the issues are just overblown. If you want a car that has perfect like-stock driveability, and you have the money, then go for something better. But TONS of people are driving around on UTECs and are happy.

Ultimately, choose the EMS that you can afford and your turner is comfortable with.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Alter Ego

To the OP. Stay with UTEC.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a UTEC a very long time ago. My engine has cams. The Utec compared to osiris was no comparision on a na car. I got into the osiris beta program and sold the utec. Drives better makes more power. Doesn't fight with the stock ecu over a tune. No 2500-3000rpm transition issues. Sell the utec and get the osiris. With the real time tuning, it makes it super easy to tune, thats if you have factory wideband sensors. I can tune my car on a back road in like 15-20mins. If your tuner can tune a utec than he can tune osiris its like 1000 times easier. Compare it like going from dos too windows xp haha.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:33 AM
DrewQ1

Sold the Utec!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Uprev having success with FI setups now?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Speed Density rules MAF driven EMS for Turbo VQ. Stay with the UTEC or step it up to something that has solid closed loop & knock function - Haltech, F-Con V Pro etc.

I don't think you'll see guys pushing huge numbers with just the Osiris. It might work ok for stock block applications under 8psi - but anything over that I would immediately step it up.

Companies use and promote Osiris because it is a solid product - great for NA.

But If someone is going to spend 15~30K on a Stock Block or Built Block Turbo Set-ups, why not spend the money where it counts - EMS.

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 05-19-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Stay with Utec or go with the Uprev