Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Stay with Utec or go with the Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 AM
DrewQ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay with Utec or go with the Uprev

I currently have the Utec and I was tuned, but I ended up losing the tune on my car for some reason supposedly the stock ECU was bumping heads, so now I am running on the stock map. I have some more mods I plan on adding to my car and wondering if I should stick with the Utec and get it retuned or should I sell it and go with the Osiris UpRev.
I really just want to go with what will bring the mods together and get the most power out of it. I also dont want to risk of losing the tune again either. I plan on staying N/A also.

Any suggestions???
Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 AM
tranceformer95

I've been in that situation before. Utec tuned w/ NA bolt-on's then ditched it for the Osiris tune from Uprev, and never looked back.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 AM
DrewQ1

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
I've been in that situation before. Utec tuned w/ NA bolt-on's then ditched it for the Osiris tune from Uprev, and never looked back.

Which system gave you the most power with bolt ons? How much HP did you make with both?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
athenG

What do you mean all the tune are gone? The tune should still be in Utec and if the ECU did adapt to it then just do a full ECU reset and that will flash what ever correction the ECU has done. It takes a while for the ECU to build all the correction so just reset your ECU every now and then..
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by DrewQ1
Which system gave you the most power with bolt ons? How much HP did you make with both?
I had different exhaust setups with each but the Osiris reflash was way more stable and smoother. Cipher was an added bonus. For NA, there's no comparison, especially if you don't plan on going FI.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with FI Osiris is the choice to go with still.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
DrewQ1

Originally Posted by athenG
What do you mean all the tune are gone? The tune should still be in Utec and if the ECU did adapt to it then just do a full ECU reset and that will flash what ever correction the ECU has done. It takes a while for the ECU to build all the correction so just reset your ECU every now and then..

What do you mean full reset of the ECU? How?
Well I ended up getting CEL lights and ended up running rich and dumping fuel where i would get maybe 200mi to the tank. once i set the Utec to 0, everything cleared up and is running of the stock ECU. I was told that maybe the ECU was learning the system and trying to take it back over...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Go Osiris!! Too much bs with UTEC, for ex. start up issues, partial throttle issues, cut off issues.. Just to name a few!! Osiris will make you feel stock even with FI!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by DrewQ1
What do you mean full reset of the ECU? How?
Well I ended up getting CEL lights and ended up running rich and dumping fuel where i would get maybe 200mi to the tank. once i set the Utec to 0, everything cleared up and is running of the stock ECU. I was told that maybe the ECU was learning the system and trying to take it back over...
The best way is disconnect the battery for maybe 30mins-1hr and step on your brakes while you are at it. That will clear everything.. Where you fine be before?

For NA then uprev maybe a little better but for FI I still prefer Utec.

I can deal with drivability but I did get an EMS because I want extra protection. What is the point of an EMS if all it does is give you better injector scaling or drivability but leave you vulnerable when chit happen...

Osiris dont have Active Knock Control above 5000rpm coz ECU stop monitoring knock on the higher rpm, last time I check when I race I'm 95% above 5000rpm So many things can fail so an active knock control across entire rpm is a must for me..

Osiris dont have 3rd party wideband support if you are a self tuner then you have to trust the OEM WB.

Osiris dont offer overboost cutoff, to many blown motor because of boost spike or overboost because of WS and vacuum line problem.

There are more but I dont want a pissing match so to each his own...

Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Even with FI Osiris is the choice to go with still.

LOL remember this thread? https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4077...ddy-404hp.html You didnt get it before and you still dont get it today.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Mr.Squeeze

The best way is disconnect the battery for maybe 30mins-1hr and step on your brakes while you are at it. That will clear everything.. Where you fine be before?

Osiris dont have Active Knock Control above 5000rpm coz ECU stop monitoring knock on the higher rpm, last time I check when I race I'm 95% above 5000rpm So many things can fail so an active knock control across entire rpm is a must for me..

I dont want to get into a pissing match but are you sure the stock ecu doesnt pull timing above 5000rpm.I put my car on the dyno and the ecu pulled timing on the 3 pulls I made.All I have is a Pop charger and a Plenum spacer.

Last edited by Mr.Squeeze; 04-21-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze
I dont want to get into a pissing match but are you sure the stock ecu doesnt pull timing above 5000rpm.I put my car on the dyno and the ecu pulled timing on the e pulls I made.All I have is a Pop charger and a Plenum spacer.
GTM and even Osiris know this... I also have logs and the ECU never pulled timing when I was knocking crazy at the track. I have seen the ECU pull timing below 5000rpm on my logs but never above it. The ECU will pull timing and will hit the lowest timing around 4800-5200rpm but that is just its natural timing curve. The engine creates to much noise above 5500rpm and that is why it is hard to distinguish real knock and false knock.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Mr.Squeeze

GTM and even Osiris know this... I also have logs and the ECU never pulled timing when I was knocking crazy at the track. I have seen the ECU pull timing below 5000rpm on my logs but never above it. The ECU will pull timing and will hit the lowest timing around 4800-5200rpm but that is just its natural timing curve. The engine creates to much noise above 5500rpm and that is why it is hard to distinguish real knock and false knock.

Thanks for the input my car pulled the timing around 5200-550rpm.http://https://my350z.com/forum/engi...-t-tuning.html

Take a look I would like to know what you think.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Here we go again. Sad.

Osiris is highly recommended by many tuners on this forum including Forged. Why would they switch to it if it had these issues. This guy because he owns UTEC believes it's better when he hasn't used UPREV product. UPREV should be coming into this topic shortly so they can explain in detail the information for you. I wouldn't take anything AthenG has to say seriously as he is very biased.

Also it takes more than 1 hour to clear the ECU of everything. You really have to unplug it overnight.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 04-21-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 AM
athenG

Here we go again. Sad.

Osiris is highly recommended by many tuners on this forum including Forged. Why would they switch to it if it had these issues. This guy because he owns UTEC believes it's better when he hasn't used UPREV product.
I dont care what the shop say because those some same shop especially Forged still recommend Utec to their FI customers. There are pros and cons between Osiris and Utec, so to claim that Osiris is above Utec in every category is just stupid.

First you are not even FI and you claim that Osiris is better have you had problem with aftermarket injectors? Have you had overboost/spike problem? Have you had detonation problem because of extreme heat? Those things can happen to every FI owner. Now can Osiris protect me from that?

I just not your regular nuthugger!! I did consider switching to Osiris but I'm on stock block and for me protection is everything!!

If your #1 concern is drivability then Osiris is better coz it has better injector scaling and no more timing/AF switch over between ECU and a piggy back.

If you want the extra safety the Utec is going to be better suited because of the things I just mentioned above.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
tranceformer95

Wow that was quick.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
athenG

Also it takes more than 1 hour to clear the ECU of everything. You really have to unplug it overnight.
Another wrong information.. Have you tried it? I have done this so many times it is not even funny.. Have you ever had a P1273 error? I have tried to errase that code with my ODB2 reader with no success. The only way to clear that is to do a full ecu reset. I have done countless of adjustment on my tune and 30mins of battery while stepping on the brake light usually clear everything.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Yes sir. All Nissan ECUs do not reset in 1 hr by just a pedal method. You need to do it overnight to do a full reset.

Dave O with Nissan Sport has told me this is the proper method. I even believe they had an article about it a long long time ago. I also have learned it from experience. If you want to completely reset your ECU do the overnight thing. If you want to reset parts of it, the quick one you mentioned will do so.

So until you start giving us linked information that provides facts stop trying to correct people saying they are wrong with nothing backing your "opinion". Because you are trying to say all these years everyone has known on here and g35driver that resetting overnight is the best way to clear anything on the ECU is wrong.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 04-21-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont care what the shop say because those some same shop especially Forged still recommend Utec to their FI customers. There are pros and cons between Osiris and Utec, so to claim that Osiris is above Utec in every category is just stupid.

First you are not even FI and you claim that Osiris is better have you had problem with aftermarket injectors? Have you had overboost/spike problem? Have you had detonation problem because of extreme heat? Those things can happen to every FI owner. Now can Osiris protect me from that?

I just not your regular nuthugger!! I did consider switching to Osiris but I'm on stock block and for me protection is everything!!

If your #1 concern is drivability then Osiris is better coz it has better injector scaling and no more timing/AF switch over between ECU and a piggy back.

If you want the extra safety the Utec is going to be better suited because of the things I just mentioned above.
its a lost cause man. whatever Solo owns or has done is the greatest thing on the planet no matter what. he is spouts so much BS even though his ignorance shines through most of the time. dont waste your time on this tool.

osiris, great for N/A, not so much for big F/I builds. i'll stick with my stand alone.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Nexx
its a lost cause man. whatever Solo owns or has done is the greatest thing on the planet no matter what. he is spouts so much BS even though his ignorance shines through most of the time. dont waste your time on this tool.

osiris, great for N/A, not so much for big F/I builds. i'll stick with my stand alone.
Really? Where is your proof to support that "claim"?

A tool that doesn't fall for the rest of the my350z fanboi bs.

Quick Reply: Stay with Utec or go with the Uprev