Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you get it now you will me making the bulk of the investment which is the license, after that a retune should only be the dyno time. If the time between the mods is short then wait but if you are looking at a long time then get it now and tune it for what you have and then just retune it when you do the next mods.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^i'll most probs do the latter..
Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Update....

guess what? i contacted UpRev (Rich) and he told me Osiris tune won't suit our octane (95 RON, which is 91 PON in the US) since we have different rating.. how sad.

tho he suggested to get the Pro Tuner and have a tuner do it accordingly, but we lack the experienced/knowledgeable tuners in this country, so i wouldn't trust anyone working on my car.

i don't know if Cobb would be my last resort as an end-user tuning option.

suggestions plz..
Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not tune it at all... 5-10 whp ? do you need them THAT bad ?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:25 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i need to fix my AFR, cuz my car is running lean. and on top of that, i'll need a tune once i get all the breathing mods.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Tac-M

unless you find a real tuner in your area ( or you know how to tune it yourself ) , you don't have a choice.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM
06g35meister

interesting, i did get a dyno tune for 91 (and 93), i have test pipes and intake. refer him to Kevin Reene's 91 octane tune and see if he can manipulate it for a non-test pipe setup?

*edit* Uprev works, Cobb doesnt have the "power gains" feature built in, you have to pay extra for that.

Last edited by 06g35meister; 07-10-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

still tho, i can't understand why they would feel they're risking my engine if they send me a tune on a 91 octane.

Cobb's maps says "minimum of 91 octane fuel". can't it be done with Osiris?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Travis@COBB

Hey guys, I know you have probably all seen the thread below, but I want to reiterate that you can tune your own car with AccessTUNER Race. This software is FREE. With this software you have complete control of your ECU allowing you to make much more aggressive tunes for your specific modifications. What's more, you don't need to have a ProTuner in your area to use AccessTUNER Race. You can take car with a laptop loaded with your copy of AccessTUNER Race to the tuner of your choice and they can use these tools to tune your car. You can even tune forced-induction with these tools.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Z_HighSpeed

anyone got before and after numbers (with mod list) for the osiris?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Novesh
anyone got before and after numbers (with mod list) for the osiris?
Yes pm me if you want to see it.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Travis@COBB
Hey guys, I know you have probably all seen the thread below, but I want to reiterate that you can tune your own car with AccessTUNER Race. This software is FREE. With this software you have complete control of your ECU allowing you to make much more aggressive tunes for your specific modifications. What's more, you don't need to have a ProTuner in your area to use AccessTUNER Race. You can take car with a laptop loaded with your copy of AccessTUNER Race to the tuner of your choice and they can use these tools to tune your car. You can even tune forced-induction with these tools.
Travis
COBB Tuning
Just looking for sale?

If customer doesn't have an experience with tunning, customer will NEEDS to take the car to tuner to get right tune.

Last edited by Chef-J; 07-10-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM
kidrobot

Why the need for having a knowledgeable tuner in the area? From my understanding, with Osiris's 'etunes' you can just send in the Cipher reading and they will email you the tune and you simply reflash?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM
M3ANMACHINE

So since you have to have a laptop to run Osiris, I am assuming that it wouldn't work for Mac's... Only because Mac support for these kinds of things aren't usually available. Correct me if 'm wrong
Old 07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
kidrobot

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
So since you have to have a laptop to run Osiris, I am assuming that it wouldn't work for Mac's... Only because Mac support for these kinds of things aren't usually available. Correct me if 'm wrong
I don't use macs but..don't they advertise the ability to run windows now via bootcamp?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by kidrobot
Why the need for having a knowledgeable tuner in the area? From my understanding, with Osiris's 'etunes' you can just send in the Cipher reading and they will email you the tune and you simply reflash?
i know! a knowledgeable tuner isn't required for the Osiris Standard (or e-tunes), but that's what they asked me to do. since they're not aware of our octane level, they don't want to risk my engine by sending me an e-tune on a specific level of octane. even tho i made sure what's the octane level we have here.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kidrobot
Because a dyno-tune is better then an E-tune.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
NETSHARK

maXmood 1st of all you have to worry if your Z is not a US model before worrying about the octane level, did you call UpRev to make sure that the Middle East Spec Z is Supported ??, Cobb Tuning Answered SmallTuner`s Question in the other thread by NO they only Support US Spec 350Zs currently dunno if the same thing goes to UpRev

And about the Octane Level US Don`t use RON (Research Octane Number) Measurement they use AKI (Anti-Knock Index) so here goes the measurements :

AKI RON
89 92
91 95-96
93 98-97

What RON u guys have in Bahrain ? i guess its the same as Kuwait and UAE :1

about the comparison between the two UpRev is more suitable for the guys like you with no good tuner around, so you will relay on the logs and dynos to get your car e-Tuned.

the Access Port is a good Device too if you wanna DynoTune your car specially with the AccessTuner Race Software which is free and will let you fine custom tune ur car with much less $.

And if you wanna go later with the Vortech Supercharger am sure you will DynoTune it because if not, ur under the risk of lots of stuff, i dunno what comes with the Vortech Kit as an EMS but i just don`t like the idea of running with just a reflash on a non boosted Factory Car just my 2 fils.

P.S: Did you check with Husam Al-Tayeb McPerformance in Jeddah sometimes he make round trips around the Gulf he`s a very good tuner, also we have a good Australian tuner in Kuwait FYI.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by NETSHARK
maXmood 1st of all you have to worry if your Z is not a US model before worrying about the octane level, did you call UpRev to make sure that the Middle East Spec Z is Supported ??, Cobb Tuning Answered SmallTuner`s Question in the other thread by NO they only Support US Spec 350Zs currently dunno if the same thing goes to UpRev

And about the Octane Level US Don`t use RON (Research Octane Number) Measurement they use AKI (Anti-Knock Index) so here goes the measurements :

AKI RON
89 92
91 95-96
93 98-97

What RON u guys have in Bahrain ? i guess its the same as Kuwait and UAE :1

about the comparison between the two UpRev is more suitable for the guys like you with no good tuner around, so you will relay on the logs and dynos to get your car e-Tuned.

the Access Port is a good Device too if you wanna DynoTune your car specially with the AccessTuner Race Software which is free and will let you fine custom tune ur car with much less $.

And if you wanna go later with the Vortech Supercharger am sure you will DynoTune it because if not, ur under the risk of lots of stuff, i dunno what comes with the Vortech Kit as an EMS but i just don`t like the idea of running with just a reflash on a non boosted Factory Car just my 2 fils.

P.S: Did you check with Husam Al-Tayeb McPerformance in Jeddah sometimes he make round trips around the Gulf he`s a very good tuner, also we have a good Australian tuner in Kuwait FYI.
thnx Shark..

my car is a US specs, i imported it myself to Bahrain. the car will do fine @ this stage.

about the octane, i've asked my friend who works in BAPCO (Bahrain Petroleum Company) and he explained to me about how we can get the AKI compared to our octane level. and he confirmed that our octane level is 95 (which is 91 AKI) in the US.

i really want to get the UpRev Osiris, but Rich@UpRev put me down when he told me that they won't risk my engine with an e-tune since they're not sure of the octane level.

i have vortech supercharger in my "to-buy" list, but i'm still looking for what's available. cuz it seems like a 6MT would've been a better option for me. so, i might end up selling this car and get myself a 6MT.

Last edited by maXmood; 07-16-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
NETSHARK

In all of our Gas Stations in Kuwait we have lots of 92 and 95 and in some stations you will find the 98 which is for the Higher Compression Cars such as Ferarries Lambos Z06 race cars high boosted cars etc, i don`t see any problem getting the 91 Tune, man LOTS and i repeat This LOTSSSS of our Domestic Cars such as Vettes Stangs Camaros are getting a Tune with a Programmer and they follow this 91 tune, i myself messed with a 2001 4.0L Cherokee for a friend of mine by setting a 91 tune and his engine still rocks NO ISUESS at all since 2007 ?

and after confirming it with ur friend i just say GO AHEAD

BTW i work in KNPC (Kuwait National Petroleum Company) (Ahmadi Refinery) as a Contractor Electrical Technician, but i know lots of friend in the operations field so half of my questions got sorted before thats why i`m so sure

if you want a proof of what is what Octane Rating and if you really do trust Nissan i dont`t see any reason why not loool check what i read in the 2009 Nissan GTR Owners Manual

"FUEL RECOMMENDATION
VR38 engine
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 93 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)
number (Research octane number 98) to maximize
vehicle performance.

If the premium gasoline specified above is not
available, you may use unleaded premium gasoline
with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI
number (Research octane number 96), but you
may notice a decrease in performance."

http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/techpubs
Download the 2009 GTR Manual and go to
Section 9 Technical and consumer information
then Fuel Recommendation 9-3

Hope that really helps