Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maXmood
so, except for trap measurements the Osiris got all what Cobb has to offer?

how about the program/application interface? is it user friendly? tbh, i'm a noob at tuning, and i only know as little. so, am i expecting a noob-proof software to deal with?

btw, i've gone through "Osiris from Uprev" thread for the second time, and i'm all sold to it. yet i wanna make sure i'm spending $700+ for the right thing.
Maxmood, you don't need to spend $700 for Osiris Standard. We have two Pro Tuners in your area of the world. With our product you can get Osiris for $400 (without the Cipher cable) and get a dyno tune. Thats only available with our product. Also with the fuels you have in Bahrain you can't run the prebuilt tunes they have available with the AP, you would need custom tunes made for 98RON fuel.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UpRev
Maxmood, you don't need to spend $700 for Osiris Standard. We have two Pro Tuners in your area of the world. With our product you can get Osiris for $400 (without the Cipher cable) and get a dyno tune. Thats only available with our product. Also with the fuels you have in Bahrain you can't run the prebuilt tunes they have available with the AP, you would need custom tunes made for 98RON fuel.
in my area?? you don't mean in my country, do you? cuz i know no one that tunes JDMs. if you don't mind providing me their contact details.

and since AP has the prebuilt tunes for 91+, then i think it should work cuz our octane is 91AKI. a friend of mine has the AP for his GT-R R35, he used the prebuilt tune (stage 1), and it's running well on our octane.

since our octane level is 95RON (91AKI and i'm positive 100%), why don't i buy Osiris Standard, datalog my runs, send them over to you, and you fine-tune it on 95RON "91AKI"?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by maXmood
in my area?? you don't mean in my country, do you? cuz i know no one that tunes JDMs. if you don't mind providing me their contact details.

and since AP has the prebuilt tunes for 91+, then i think it should work cuz our octane is 91AKI. a friend of mine has the AP for his GT-R R35, he used the prebuilt tune (stage 1), and it's running well on our octane.

since our octane level is 95RON (91AKI and i'm positive 100%), why don't i buy Osiris Standard, datalog my runs, send them over to you, and you fine-tune it on 95RON "91AKI"?
Because the fuel burn rates are set in the ECU. And 95RON has a different specific burn rate than the 91AKI. It's close but not exact. I wouldn't trust my vehicle to run an improper tune, and we don't sell our systems that way.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Octane_Rating-149.asp

They will run differently and potentially destroy your motor. We have UAE Formula in the UAE +97143339946 and MC-Performance in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia +966555355208. They may not be a 10 minute drive from you, but they are both well known tuners, and are close enough to be worth it if you're looking to gain safe useable performance.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

thnx for the info and the link u posted..

so, the best option would be a dyno tune?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Travis@COBB

The best option no matter which platform you choose to tune on is always a dyno tune on native fuels. The fuels that were used to create our suite of maps were US-blends which can be very region-specific, that is why we have some maps specifically for the Southwest United States. The fuels in your country may be blended differently with different additives that may alter burn-rates etc.

The beauty of the AccessPORT is that you don't need extra cables or software, it is all included with the AccessPORT. Our tuning software, AccessTUNER Race can be downloaded for free and is plug and play with the AccessPORT and a standard laptop. AccessTUNER Race can be used by the Professional and the enthusiast tuner alike so you don't need to have a "licensed" tuner in your area.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I see the laptop interface as providing added functionality and power to Osiris. It's nice to have a big screen while tuning (along with a keyboard and pointing device).

Looks like the really important differences though between the two are that UpRev allows tunes to be e-mailed (along with data logs) for review. That and real time tuning. AccessPort I believe requires reflashes every single time you make a series of changes to the fueling. I don't know the number of reflashes before the stock ECU EEPROM fails, but it's nice not to have to worry about that (with Osiris RT tuning).
Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Travis@COBB

AccessTUNER Race is used with a laptop, not with the AccessPORT screen.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-22-2009, 01:19 PM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by Travis@COBB
AccessTUNER Race is used with a laptop, not with the AccessPORT screen.

Travis
COBB Tuning
If you wanted to use AccessTUNER Race... Where do you get a cable from, if you don't have one? Just curious...
Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Travis@COBB

The cable is part of the AccessPORT. You must have an AccessPORT to use AccessTUNER Race. Everything you need to tune with AccessTUNER Race is included with your AccessPORT, less a laptop naturally. We also recommend the addition of a wideband O2 sensor which can be integrated into AccessTUNER Race through your laptop.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
dmroberson

The cable is part of the AccessPORT. You must have an AccessPORT to use AccessTUNER Race. Everything you need to tune with AccessTUNER Race is included with your AccessPORT, less a laptop naturally. We also recommend the addition of a wideband O2 sensor which can be integrated into AccessTUNER Race through your laptop.

Travis
COBB Tuning
Ah, ok. Thanks. Was all-sorts of confused...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

@ Cobb, why does it say "Nissan 350Z (excludes 2006 Nissan 350Z AT)"? even the maps aren't available for 2006 AT..

Last edited by maXmood; 07-22-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Cobb ever get their unit working on an early 2003 G sedan with the old style ecu?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

The reason for this is we haven't come across the ROM for 2006 AT yet. However, it would be relatively simple to get an AccessPORT unit to function with the Automatic 2006 Z. If you or anyone is interested in working with us on in a BETA tester capacity we have special pricing on the AccessPORT for that individual. Please email me at travis.geny@cobbtuning.com for more details. The process would be relatively quick but would require the purchase of an AccessPORT and working with our engineering team.

Travis
COBB Tuning
email sent..
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

No 03 sedans.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
burntZ

T@Cobb - reading up on the AP - (03-06 350z) tune 2 or 2+ - states +7.2% HP - really %? because theres's a big difference between gaining 7hp and 7%hp??

I'm sold at 7%!

Thanks!

also with accesstunerRace software - can you record some WOT runs and then tweak the ecu map while parked / rinse lather repeat?? or does it need tweaking during the run which is harder without a dyno?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

OP, any update?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by Chef-J
OP, any update?
haven't heard from Cobb guys yet..

and Uprev recommended Osiris Tuner and get it tuned on a dyno.

i'm still contemplating between the two actually. lots and lots of threads talk about how Osiris squeezed out extra power, and i can't find that with Cobb yet. so, i might just end up saving an extra $$ and go with the uprev tuner.

and since i waited too long for Cobb to get back at me, i spent the money i was saving for the AP on an HFC.

Last edited by maXmood; 08-09-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

UPREV was my choice. And i'm happy.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef-J
UPREV was my choice. And i'm happy.
+1.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Travis@COBB

Originally Posted by burntZ
T@Cobb - reading up on the AP - (03-06 350z) tune 2 or 2+ - states +7.2% HP - really %? because theres's a big difference between gaining 7hp and 7%hp??

I'm sold at 7%!

Thanks!

also with accesstunerRace software - can you record some WOT runs and then tweak the ecu map while parked / rinse lather repeat?? or does it need tweaking during the run which is harder without a dyno?
The increase is 7% so you read right. You can do a run, log and then tweak. Live tuning is not available for the Nissan/Infinity platform as of yet. We do recommend using a dyno, however. One reason is legality and safety. The other is that you can't see if a change in timing or fueling has made an appreciable difference in power production etc. If you add 10deg of timing but don't make any more power, you have just added stress to the engine without making any more power etc.

Travis Geny
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning Facebook Group
COBB Tuning MySpace Page
COBB Tuning Twitter Page

Quick Reply: Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP