Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP

i know there are loads of threads that talk about both, and i went through alot of them, but this thread is ment for feature comparison.

Uprev Osiris
Osiris Standard includes Cipher and utilizes the Cipher cable to reflash and communicate with the vehicle through the OBDII Diag Port. Osiris Standard also includes Map Switching allowing you to use different tunes for different situations and 3 eTune updates you can use at any time.
Osiris Standard is a licensed based system meaning your license will be transferred to the first ECU that is flashed.
Parameters that we will tune include:
  • Up to 5 Maps on cruise control equipped vehicles
  • Idle RPM
  • Speed Limiter
  • Electronic Throttle Control to achieve Wide Open Throttle at all speeds.
  • Rev Limiter
  • DTC disable
  • AFR Targets
  • Fuel Compensation
  • Ignition Timing Advance
  • Cam Phasing for equipped vehicles.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:48 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Cobb AP
Simple Installation - Just about anyone with even the most basic of automotive knowledge can quickly and easily install an AccessPORT. No computers, wire cutting/splicing or tools of any kind are required.

Base Maps - COBB Tuning provides several preloaded maps for common power modifications. Each base map is dyno developed and rigorously tested in multiple COBB Tuning facilities across the country These tests cover the spectrum of altitude, temperature, humidity, octane and fuel quality variables to ensure proper calibration and performance wherever the car is driven.

Change Maps - Since all base maps and custom tune maps are stored in the AccessPORT, you can change maps any time you want.

Performance - Turn on your own portable performance evaluation suite! Measure 0-60mph time, 60 foot and 1/4 mile ET’s and Trap Speed. Switch to Dynamometer simulation and calculate your vehicle’s horsepower and torque.

Live Data - Monitor OEM sensor data on-the-fly. Use the AccessPORT as an additional gauge to monitor a huge number of signals, like: RPM, Coolant Temp., Battery Voltage, Intake Air Temp., Ignition Advance, Mass Air Flow, Intake and Exhaust Cam Advance and many more!

Datalogging - Onboard datalogging allows multiple channels of data to be recorded simultaneously for later review. This allows for analysis of current engine performance.

ECU Settings - Quickly adjust ECU settings to give you more control of your car’s capabilities. Adjust idle speed and ignition timing in real time.

Trouble Codes - The AccessPORT allows you to read engine codes to troubleshoot issues and potentially save you from an expensive trip to the dealership. Once the issue is resolved, clear the codes and turn off the check engine light.

Last edited by maXmood; 07-04-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 AM
freedonutss

I dont know if this matters but Osiris can also provide these features if you have a laptop and cipher cable.

Live Data - Monitor OEM sensor data on-the-fly. Use the AccessPORT as an additional gauge to monitor a huge number of signals, like: RPM, Coolant Temp., Battery Voltage, Intake Air Temp., Ignition Advance, Mass Air Flow, Intake and Exhaust Cam Advance and many more!

Datalogging - Onboard datalogging allows multiple channels of data to be recorded simultaneously for later review. This allows for analysis of current engine performance.

ECU Settings - Quickly adjust ECU settings to give you more control of your car’s capabilities. Adjust idle speed and ignition timing in real time.

Trouble Codes - The AccessPORT allows you to read engine codes to troubleshoot issues and potentially save you from an expensive trip to the dealership. Once the issue is resolved, clear the codes and turn off the check engine light.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:12 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

now onto the comparison.

-Cobb got a handheld device.
-Cobb's device can measure 0-60 times, 60 foot and 1/4mile ET and even a dyno simulation.
-Cobb allows you to read error codes and clear them.

-Osiris gives you 5 maps.
-Osiris u'll need a laptop to run the software.
-all the other options are available on Cobb.

i don't see clearing codes as an option in Osiris, or even the measurements available (1/4, dyno sim, etc, etc).

soo, what makes Osiris a better choice compared to Cobb AP?

prices:

Cobb = $695
Osiris = $700

i'm really considering Osiris (after reading lots of reviews), but i'm looking for what i'll be missing if i don't get Cobb.

input from experience would be much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:15 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

sorry, you posted that ^ while i was typing..

what makes it better? i'm comparing Osiris Standard (which includes Cipher) vs. Cobb AP. i know datalogging is available with Osiris, but they didn't mention anything about clearing codes.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cipher has the ability to retrieve and clear ECU, BCM, and ABS codes.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for n/a 350z

uprev makes power and cobb does not.... hows that for a list of features ?

there is a beta protune out now and it may make more power than a base map, but it will not be 695...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:14 AM
freedonutss

Osiris does everything cobb does and better except for measuring 0-60, 1/4. I personally use Osiris and it makes great power. You can also get an Etune with Osiris. You pretty much data log a few wot runs and send it to Osiris and they make a map based on your data logs. Then they send it out to you to flash your ECU.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
for n/a 350z

uprev makes power and cobb does not.... hows that for a list of features ?

there is a beta protune out now and it may make more power than a base map, but it will not be 695...
Actually, the Protune is no longer beta. It is a full release ($1500). I just called a local shop here and they aren't going to get the software because they don't have much call on the Nissans. (I was the first to call).

The ability to get a tune done could weigh heavy for the Cobb. I'm sitting here not knowing where I can get a tune done.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

so, except for trap measurements the Osiris got all what Cobb has to offer?

how about the program/application interface? is it user friendly? tbh, i'm a noob at tuning, and i only know as little. so, am i expecting a noob-proof software to deal with?

btw, i've gone through "Osiris from Uprev" thread for the second time, and i'm all sold to it. yet i wanna make sure i'm spending $700+ for the right thing.

Last edited by maXmood; 07-04-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 PM
freedonutss

The user interface is VERY easy to use. You can download Osiris and Cipher from the website but you wont be able to do anything until you connect it to your ECU.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:36 PM
350z 6spd

If you're just flashing the ECU with osiris standard, there is really no tuning involved. It doesn't matter if you're a noob. You just install the software on your computer, plug in the cable, and flash the ECU. It is very user friendly in that there is not much to it. You just select the map to upload to the ECU and click "flash ECU". Cipher is also very simple to use and very useful.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 PM
mthreat

Osiris includes the "it works" feature
Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd
If you're just flashing the ECU with osiris standard, there is really no tuning involved. It doesn't matter if you're a noob. You just install the software on your computer, plug in the cable, and flash the ECU. It is very user friendly in that there is not much to it. You just select the map to upload to the ECU and click "flash ECU". Cipher is also very simple to use and very useful.
true that. but with all the jargon and namings, i'm sure i'll be lost interpreting them to my understanding. cuz i'm not intending to spend $700 to just follow instructions, but i'll have the urge to learn what is what, and what am i doing on every step.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Z_HighSpeed

so wait, I'm hearing you can hookup a laptop to a z w/ an osiris tune on it and get read outs?

or am I reading it wrong?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
350z 6spd

Originally Posted by Novesh
so wait, I'm hearing you can hookup a laptop to a z w/ an osiris tune on it and get read outs?

or am I reading it wrong?
If you have the cipher cable you can take readouts from any z.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Z_HighSpeed

^easy enough thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 07:48 AM
fabre80

Ok am thinking on jumping on Osiris, I know theres a few choices but this seems to be the best in terms that if you have N/A car you'll see the best results. I want to get flash done to my ECU what would i need ?? the flash service or should i spent the $700 and get it tune somewere else?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 AM
westpak
SFZCC

depends on where you are, there is some info here if you are local to South Florida

http://www.sfzcc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7637

Basically if you are not into getting the cable and self tuning the basic service of license and tune would be enough
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

alright, now i have Stillen intake + MD plenum spacer 5/16". i'm thinking that would be my stock tune.

but i'm thinking of getting HFC + exhaust. should i wait for all that and then buy it and set it as the stock tune? cuz those mods will stay for as long as the car is alive and running.

basically, i'll only have 1 map, which should serve the mods i have installed. later stages, i'll go FI (Vortech) and i'm thinking of getting the 2nd map.

i don't even know if what i'm saying makes sense.

Quick Reply: Uprev Osiris vs. Cobb AP