Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Who can tune the Haltech for N/A in the midwest ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who can tune the Haltech for N/A in the midwest ?

Looking for a tuner in the midwest area . I will drive 8 hours in any direction to get it done .

Looking for suggestions !

Thanks !
Old 09-19-2009, 02:04 PM
sublimemoment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injected performance is in lexington, KY. Also, Sound Performance is in chicago. Either of those close enough?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sound would be closer. lexington is about 5 hours from me and i'm about 5 hours from council bluffs (grandparents live in iowa).
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
booger

Sound Performance deals in AEM and not sure if they tune Haltech . ANy one know for sure ?

Chicago would be a easy drive .
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 PM
sublimemoment

You could call.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
booger

yup
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM
binder

oh i was wrong....council bluffs is by omaha. i knew it sounded familiar...i had a stunt show there in 2003.

Ya, it's like 11 hours to lexington. kansas city, chicago, or STL look to be the closest big cities. it would almost be worth it to take it to injected so the creator of the haltech can tune it. i would assume he knows it best.

better yet, i'll give you my ss box and i'll take your haltech since i live closer! lol
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 AM
allmotorsedan

Genesis Racing & Development aka GRD in Chicago Area tunes Haltech...IMO Haltech is too much for a NA VQ35. Your best bet would be the Osiris flash/tune. I ve seen hot/cold start problems with the Haltech. Also seems more suited and performs better for a turbo build. What mods do you have done? Any internal work?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

booger knows how much EMS he needs noob
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
Genesis Racing & Development aka GRD in Chicago Area tunes Haltech...IMO Haltech is too much for a NA VQ35. Your best bet would be the Osiris flash/tune. I ve seen hot/cold start problems with the Haltech. Also seems more suited and performs better for a turbo build. What mods do you have done? Any internal work?
It's all in the tune

That's why there are tables to compensate for differences in air and coolant temp. My Haltech starts up great every time, hot or cold
Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
binder

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
i call bs. post names of the people with starting issues and haltech and i'll post the names of people that aren't tuners and tried to set one up.

there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to adjustments for tuning. You can always just not touch something if adjustment is not needed but if you do'nt have it you can never adjust it down the road when your setup changes.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
booger

I had the the Haltech for my Vortech [ all cog pulleys ] at 19psi . I took off the SC and I am just N/A for a while . Hey Chris@FsP do you guys tune the Haltech ?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM
allmotorsedan

Originally Posted by str8dum1
booger knows how much EMS he needs noob
So what if I'm an internet noob....I don't go out bashing people or claiming outrageous #s. Booger didn't post what he had done or his plans are, and from my experience and what I've seen, Osiris is pretty damn good for what it is/does.

jB_ has had starting issues on his Revup NA build and has since switched to Osiris with no problems since I checked his thread about 10 days ago. Maybe something has come up that I don't know about... I came across another build that had issues as well but who knows, maybe it is in the tune.

I'm not here to bash or say Osiris is the GOD ALMIGHTY tunes and all else fails... No! Based on the bland information given by booger I suggested Osiris, GRD has specials for Osiris quite often $500 and 1 hour free tuning. They are very well respected,knowledgable and are pretty big in the Midwest region. I myself are planning to stay NA and I will be using Osiris.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
allmotorsedan

I see as I was typing booger responded. Not hatin just trying to help. I don't know much about FI as I do about NA because my plan is to build a motor similar to Gabe3ds....
Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by booger
I had the the Haltech for my Vortech [ all cog pulleys ] at 19psi . I took off the SC and I am just N/A for a while . Hey Chris@FsP do you guys tune the Haltech ?
PM sent, booger.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by binder
i call bs. post names of the people with starting issues and haltech and i'll post the names of people that aren't tuners and tried to set one up.

there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to adjustments for tuning. You can always just not touch something if adjustment is not needed but if you do'nt have it you can never adjust it down the road when your setup changes.

We replaced one not 2 months ago for a customer that was sick of the issues. And his was set up by Hal @ injected. So if you want to say Hal doesn't know how to tune the Haltech then go right ahead.

Too many people are willing to deal with too many issues because they think it can't be easy to have a highly modified car, there has to be minor issues here and there. Problem was this customer has a TT GTO making nearly 900whp that was tuned on the stock ECU and drives as close to stock as you could imagine, except for the fact that you know... it like makes 900hp. He also has a stroked 350Z with TT that always had weird issues. Lights came on, it didn't always like to start real nice, it was just rough around the edges even after multiple tuning sessions and updates. We pulled the Haltech out, made more power, and gave him a car that didn't have any issues. he even got a little mileage back, not that it was his concern. Now he likes his 350Z as much as his GTO.

Stand alone EMS systems make sense in certain situations. They don't do as well as the stock ECU on a driver car. Race car, sure, run it hard and put it away wet. Make it do 7's. But you don't want to go out to dinner with friends at a classy restaurant in a car that lurches or doesn't want to start because the moon was rising and you got fuel from Chevron instead of Shell, and well your water temps were too high, oh and "weird, i've never seen that happen before". Personally I want a car that is as 100% bullet proof reliable and runs as well as stock, plus the additional HP. Why give to gain?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by UpRev
We replaced one not 2 months ago for a customer that was sick of the issues. And his was set up by Hal @ injected. So if you want to say Hal doesn't know how to tune the Haltech then go right ahead.

Too many people are willing to deal with too many issues because they think it can't be easy to have a highly modified car, there has to be minor issues here and there. Problem was this customer has a TT GTO making nearly 900whp that was tuned on the stock ECU and drives as close to stock as you could imagine, except for the fact that you know... it like makes 900hp. He also has a stroked 350Z with TT that always had weird issues. Lights came on, it didn't always like to start real nice, it was just rough around the edges even after multiple tuning sessions and updates. We pulled the Haltech out, made more power, and gave him a car that didn't have any issues. he even got a little mileage back, not that it was his concern. Now he likes his 350Z as much as his GTO.

Stand alone EMS systems make sense in certain situations. They don't do as well as the stock ECU on a driver car. Race car, sure, run it hard and put it away wet. Make it do 7's. But you don't want to go out to dinner with friends at a classy restaurant in a car that lurches or doesn't want to start because the moon was rising and you got fuel from Chevron instead of Shell, and well your water temps were too high, oh and "weird, i've never seen that happen before". Personally I want a car that is as 100% bullet proof reliable and runs as well as stock, plus the additional HP. Why give to gain?
Does Osiris have knock sensor now? Or some kind of protection? Haltech has this...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Does Osiris have knock sensor now? Or some kind of protection? Haltech has this...
The stock ECU has knock protection built in. Not sure what you mean about Osiris having it if the ECU has it.

Does the stock ECU wait for knock to happen before it curtails timing and compensates fuel? No thats only for poorly engineered ECUs that are not built properly for the motor they are running. Nissan though happens to have R&D and Engineering groups that have huge budgets to look into new technologies. So the stock ECU has certain advantages when it comes to things like knock, that no aftermarket EMS company could possibly duplicate on the budgets they have. Nissan manufacturers orders of magnitude larger volume ECUs than all aftermarket companies combined. In doing so not only are their failure rates measured in Failures Per Million, but they also can make sure that they spec and control the components that go into them. Nissan also has far greater knowledge about the workings of the motors they are building the ECU and the software that runs the ECUs than any aftermarket ECU manufacturer.

Now once again, Uprev doesn't make the hardware or the software that runs on the ECU. We make the software that allows you to adjust the needed parameters to make your particular motor run as efficiently and safely as possible.

If you feel the need to push the motor to the point of knock because you feel thats the best way to gauge the quality of your tune, then don't worry. We allow you to adjust the timing values in the High Detonation timing map. Hell you can run those as the same values and run as much knock as you'd like, just like the aftermarket EMS systems.

A good tuner with a dyno and knowledge on how to adjust things will generally notice a diminishing return on pushing the timing. Some tuners though think that it's cool to push a motor to unsafe boundaries to make some awesome number. Fact is these customers end up paying for the motor to be rebuilt, not the tuners. If you push the stock ECU using our software past the stock safe knock threshold, it will go to the High Detonation map. It doesn't use the Knock sensor above 5000rpm, it uses other sensors and the DSP processes to gauge knock above that. If you plug in your aftermarket EMS to the stock knock sensor and try to use it above 5000rpm you are getting false information. It is completely unsafe, which is why Nissan stops using it.

Now if you use an external knock sensor, that has its own Digital Signal Processing, and it has been adjusted over many years by engineers that only work with the VQ motor... Well great, but there is no such beast.

So you want to tell me that the Haltech knock is better than the Nissan setup? Please do explain how it can be more reliable than what Nissan has set up.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
UpRev
Banned

Oh and sorry Jay. Just responding after reading a few other threads. Not personally digging into you. I've been gone too long on a few boards and obviously need to come back and re-educate some forum people.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
booger

UpRev
Can the stock ECU be programmed for a return fuel system and large injectors [800cc] ?

Quick Reply: Who can tune the Haltech for N/A in the midwest ?