Looking for feedback on J-Tran Studios

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 AM
matt2k10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on J-Tran Studios

Hey yall.

I have what is about to be a stage 10+ Twin Turbo Z32

I am picking the car up from my builder in Houston and came across J-Tran studios for a tuner. Initially I got good feedback on twinturbo.net about him and his shop but inevitably there was a poster that told me not to use him and that hehad heard bad things about his tunes.

I know that he and people from his shop post here but I was told to register here because a lot of the members here have had him tune their cars, so I figured I would ask.

The car has a re-flashed chip coming from Z1 for my injectors, dual intake, and gasoline octane (91), but I wanted to tweak the tune a little better for my setup before I take the car back to West Texas.

The car has GT675RS turbos, JWT 500 cams, Mike Smith Exhaust manifolds, 3" exhaust, pistons, rods, valves, block work, head work, Greddy ICs and a dual MAF intake.

Eventually I want to send the car to a dedicated Z shop that uses Nistune or similar software but for now I will settle on tweaking it with an SAFCII on the dyno.

Can anyone give me some honest feedback on Tran and his tuning abilities?

Johnny if you or your shop reads this, I mean no disrespect by asking, but when some other guy posts up after I talked to you, I have to verify.

If this post is in the wrong section, move it rto the right one or something.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stage 10+ Z32's use a SAFCII

overall Jtran has a good rep on here and every post about his tune/builds have been positive
Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
G35_Foo

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...e-rebuild.html

Here is one of his more recent build threads. I have never had an issue with JTran Studios they have always taken care of me. I have also seen several of the other cars he has built or tune and never heard a complaint.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great experience with Johnny. Here is a video of him tuning my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCaRcuap0E

He always answered my calls when I had a question and followed up weeks after the tune. A+ from me!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

that person was probaly mark gust, the original owner of sgp racing or one of his minions. mark doesnt like me due to the fact that i had enough knowledge and background to take what he couldnt do and is actually doing it better. hating is common in this market. We have been in business for ourselves for 1 year and two months and have grown from 400 square feet with one lift to 5000 square feet with five lifts, awd dyno, showroom and stock. ask anyone of our customers that we have done and all of them will tell you that we go above and beyond to make our customers happy. we personally dont tune for power, we tune for realiability period. we have many customers that is on stock motor that got a tune from us that have zero issues and alot of mileage on there cars. i am not taking your feedback in a bad way, everyone has to do there research on any shop which we totally understand.

nistune is a good setup to run, what is tried and proven is jwt ecu or ashspec or z1 ecu with a simple safc. if you want to go bigger then that, do the haltech setup or the aem setup. either or will be way better then the nistune setup. temp compesation maps for fuel and ignition side, idle control, post start enrichment, injector latency adjustment etc.

as stated before, we arent a shop where money is number 1 in our book. customer satisfaction, quality and realiablity is top priority. post up the link so i can see who it is.

Johnny Tran
Jtran Studios
281 893 5858
Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
matt2k10

Nistune is no joke.

www.nistune.com/about.htm
www.nistune.com/screenshots.htm

That being said, a Z1 or JWT chip isnt going to account for each and every setup, like the block work, head work, cams, etc. The ECU reflashes from JWT and Z1 only account for what type of intake, what size injectors, and what octane of fuel, thats it. I expect the car to be at 75% or so with just the chip, and I would like it to be at 85-95% after an AFC tune on your dyno, but eventually I want a Nistune setup and 3 or 4 different fuel selectors tuned by a dedicated Z shop like Specialty Z.

BTW, I picked up an AFC Neo because I got tired of looking for an SAFC II. As long as people dont start coming out of the woodwork with bad experiences, I should be down there in a couple weeks.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

nistune compared to haltech or aem is no comparison at all. bad experiences? havent had any at all, im not on a high horse or anything, but keep digging. if its a specialty shop you are looking for then take it to specialty z. We do all walks of cars. from the z's and g's on these boards to subies, evos, porsches, vw, toyotas etc. We know what we can do here at our shop and we know what we produce.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM
NorthSideRacing

They are the only shop that works on my car. I highly recommend
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 AM
matt2k10

Originally Posted by Jtran Studios
nistune compared to haltech or aem is no comparison at all. bad experiences? havent had any at all, im not on a high horse or anything, but keep digging. if its a specialty shop you are looking for then take it to specialty z. We do all walks of cars. from the z's and g's on these boards to subies, evos, porsches, vw, toyotas etc. We know what we can do here at our shop and we know what we produce.
Well the guy who said not to use you guys turned out to be a wack job it looks like, and he was the only one who said that.

Have you ever used Nistune?