Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Cobb as it relates to Uprev custom tune.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
I am not saying from experience as i do not use either of them, but if i were to make the choice to either of the two i would go with uprev as it has proven to work pretty well so far with boosted z's where as cobb has not from what i have seen, both have worked great for n/a applications, everything i have seen from cobb on a boosted z has been failure however for whatever reasons, either way though i am not sold on uprev for the lack of knock detection above 5k rpm, both have flaws imo but i beleive uprev is superior and will be more of an up and coming success to the z community and will continue to improve where as i dont think cobb will compare in the long run..Isnt the developer of cobb now with uprev anyway?

if op is staying n/a and not looking to go F/I ever then i think he is thinking into this too much as both are gonna give gains in the same ballpark
I appreciate the candor in most of your response but I still question what I have outlined and underlined above. I don't know of any FI Zs that have had issues using the Accessport where the issues would have been solved if an Uprev had been used.

I also realize that this discussion is pertaining to FI Zs but Accessports have shown what they are capable of on other cars albeit factory boosted such as the GTR, Evo and the WRX/STI.

I will say that if I were looking for an EMS for an FI Z I'd probably not go with either one solely. I'd feel a little more comfortable myself with a Haltech if it were my personal FI Z.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^im just going from what i have seen like i said..I have seen a few boosted z's pop using the cobb accessport, now if that was tuner's fault thats one thing, which i do not know and will never know, i have seen uprev work very well and have not seen a bad thing come from any uprev tune yet..I am not saying that if uprev were used in place of cobb it would be better as i really dont know..And yes cobb has proven very well for other factory turbo cars such as subaru and GTR but for the Z is just unproven in my eyes and to have a few failures out of the very few people using it around here in boosted cases just causes concerns for me..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Kwame

^ Thats well and all but who and where are these Accessport equipped vehicle that have meet their demise? Are they on the forums?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WAY OFF TOPIC..

This is for n/a comparisson.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by rich2342
WAY OFF TOPIC..

No disrespect, but this is pretty on-topic we are discussing the merits of the Osiris Tuner V.S. an Accessport. However, I think you have your answer already. Either unit will fit the bill for your needs.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

UPREV = REAL TIME TUNING + reflash capability + Cipher diagnostics on a laptop display

COBB = reflash based with handheld unit for display

I own Osiris by UpRev and occasionally log using Cipher with real time gauge display on my car PC. If Cobb had anything beyond what Osiris offered (such as emissions readiness or 5AT tuning), I would have bought it. Does Cobb offer multimap switching via the cruise like Osiris? How fast is the flash? What vehicles (and model years) are supported for what functionality? These are the questions I would ask if I were going with Cobb. UpRev support for various Nissan vehicles (except the GTR) is quite good.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-02-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
^ Thats well and all but who and where are these Accessport equipped vehicle that have meet their demise? Are they on the forums?
yes there have been a few here, its late right now or id dig up a few threads..maybe tomorrow
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by rcdash
UPREV = REAL TIME TUNING + reflash capability + Cipher diagnostics on a laptop display

I own Osiris by UpRev and occasionally log using Cipher with real time gauge display on my car PC. If Cobb had anything beyond what Osiris offered (such as emissions readiness or 5AT tuning), I would have bought it. Does Cobb offer multimap switching via the cruise like Osiris? How fast is the flash? What vehicles (and model years) are supported for what functionality? These are the questions I would ask if I were going with Cobb. UpRev support for various Nissan vehicles (except the GTR) is quite good.

finally someone with some more knowledge on this commenting, what about cam tuning? does both offer this

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-02-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Kwame

Its pretty hard to have a technical discussion when people don't seem to know the facts. The fact of the matter is the the commonalities of these two units far outweigh the relative minute differences.

The Accessport with the AccessTUNER Software (which is free FYI) allows for real time tuning and the ability for one to review the vehicle's diagnostics.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/Default.asp?id=4588
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
tylerxfire

WAY OFF TOPIC..

this is very on topic and something that should be considered..

for n/a either is just fine go with whatever is easier for u...but do u ever imagine going F/I because thats something id look at to save money in the future..once again though maybe cobb would be just fine
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Its pretty hard to have a technical discussion when people don't seem to know the facts. The fact of the matter is the the commonalities of these two units far outweigh the relative minute differences.

The Accessport with the AccessTUNER Software (which is free FYI) allows for real time tuning and the ability for one to review the vehicle's diagnostics.

exactly.... people need to stop thinking of it as just on off the shelf pre-programmed unit. real time tuning folks.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Kwame

....Does Cobb offer multimap switching via the cruise like Osiris? How fast is the flash? What vehicles (and model years) are supported for what functionality? These are the questions I would ask if I were going with Cobb. UpRev support for various Nissan vehicles (except the GTR) is quite good.
There is no need to ask Cobb anything. Anyone who has a computer with an internet connection can find all the answers to your question if they took the time to be proactive and go on Cobb's website.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?id=4400

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4408

Here is the biggest difference between the two units:

Osiris: Offers Etunes. Ability to change maps via cruise control buttons.

Cobb: Doesn't offer Etunes, but that doesn't mean that their dealers don't. You are able to monitor a lot more through the use of the hand held Accessport (maps are also changed this way) than you can in an Osiris equipped vehicle unless you like always having a laptop in your car.

We here at the shop like both units equally and I will continue to stand by my opinion that that they very very similar at the end of the day.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
exactly.... people need to stop thinking of it as just on off the shelf pre-programmed unit. real time tuning folks.
The propaganda needs to end and the facts need to be revealed.

For those of you who have Osirus already in your car there is no need to bash or put down another product in an attempt to evade the feeling of buyer's remorse. There is nothing to be remorseful of you own a great product. Actually you essentially have an Accessport minus a few tidbits here and there (as well as vice-versa for those who purchased the Accessport as opposed to the Osirus).
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
tylerxfire

good info here
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually Cobb is now advertising Etuning from a Cobb Pro tuner.

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=4834
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ALright,

Im talking about the capability of each when it comes to dyno tuning.

I am not a self tuner nor will i be doing e-tunes as i am not wideband equipped for my 03.

I'm asking specifically if the cobb racetuner version with dyno tune has the same capabilities and can reach the efficiency that the same/similar tune with Uprev dyno tune.

Im not talking off the shelf maps.

This is where Uprev/Cobb needs to chime in as they should know their competitions product capabilities/restrictions..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Your statement above applies to you my friend. Show me where in that link it indicates real time tuning? Have you tuned using Osiris RTT? Do you know the difference between RTT and reflashing? (Osiris does both). While the overall functionality may be similar, Osiris on a laptop is far easier and quicker to tune (because of the display and RTT). I cannot imagine trying to tune on a tiny handheld display...

ALright,

I am not a self tuner nor will i be doing e-tunes as i am not wideband equipped for my 03.

I'm asking specifically if the cobb racetuner version with dyno tune has the same capabilities and can reach the efficiency that the same/similar tune with Uprev dyno tune.

This is where Uprev/Cobb needs to chime in as they should know their competitions product capabilities/restrictions..

If you are paying a tuner, then you should go with what your tuner is most familiar with and what he recommends. You should always try to get a flat rate if you can! If you are tuning yourself on the dyno and renting it out, I think you will drive yourself nuts not being able to make changes in real time (particularly on a load based dyno). For an inertial dyno (dynojet), maybe it's not a huge deal to make a bunch of changes and reflash (if the reflash is fast), but you'll easily perform dozens of reflashes in one dyno sitting. Every time you reflash, there is a small risk to damaging the flash memory so I really do favor RTT until the tune is perfect - then create the one best reflash.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-03-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With a laptop and the race beta it allows you to realtime tune. Ive done it...

RCDash check out the race beta, it seems you think the AP is only the little unit that reflashes and nothing more. Maybe thats why so many people here think it does nothing.

Not you guys fault i guess, Cobb doesnt seemed to have marketed this well until recently.

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 03-03-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Kwame

ALright,

I'm not sure if you are being serious or if you are messing with everyone in this thread. However, your question has been answered already several times over within this thread.

Show me where in that link it indicates real time tuning? Have you tuned using Osiris RTT? While the overall functionality may be similar, Osiris on a laptop is far easier and quicker to tune (because of the display and RTT). I cannot imagine trying to tune on a tiny handheld display...
Let's see since we have Osiris on Adam's car and we road tuned it here and had it dyno tuned at a local shop then I can answer that question with a resounding YES I can type in big font too, except I speak of fact and not some ridiculous hearsay.) If your going to address me aggressively please do me and the rest of the forum a favor and educate yourself prior to posting.

Here are screenshots using the AccessTUNER program on a laptop...

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4587

Here is a link to the tuning guide...

http://www.accessecu.com/support/doc...n-Infiniti.pdf

on pg. 3 it states...

Connect the AccessTUNER software to the AccessPORT equipped vehicle. Open the selected starting point calibration in the AccessTUNER software. Configure the AccessTUNER software to connect to your vehicle. Attach the OBDII dongle to the vehicle and the associated USB cable to your computer.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Kwame

Show me where in that link it indicates real time tuning? Have you tuned using Osiris RTT? Do you know the difference between RTT and reflashing? (Osiris does both). While the overall functionality may be similar, Osiris on a laptop is far easier and quicker to tune (because of the display and RTT). I cannot imagine trying to tune on a tiny handheld display...

If you are paying a tuner, then you should go with what your tuner is most familiar with and what he recommends. You should always try to get a flat rate if you can! If you are tuning yourself on the dyno and renting it out, I think you will drive yourself nuts not being able to make changes in real time (particularly on a load based dyno). For an inertial dyno (dynojet), maybe it's not a huge deal to make a bunch of changes and reflash (if the reflash is fast), but you'll easily perform dozens of reflashes in one dyno sitting.
I'm not looking to sit here and argue with you but you really should read up on the Accessport and the AccessTUNER software because from all of your posts you seem to be way out of touch with its capabilities and how it operates. I don't think you are currently up to the task of debating the merits of the Osiris tuner vs. the AccessPORT tuned via the AccessTUNER software.

"Ignorance is bliss"

Quick Reply: Cobb as it relates to Uprev custom tune.