Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Haltech Start Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haltech Start Settings

Anyone care to share their start settings for the Haltech? Specifically ones with 600 cc injectors?

I have been messing with them for a few days now, I and I wish I could say I was making good progress. With Hal's base map I was experiencing pretty good cold starts, but sometimes during "warm" and "hot" starts I would have to crank for a while to get it to start. And sometimes during colder starts it would fire and then bog and then have kind of a lumpy low rpm idle for a few seconds before finally coming to life.

I lowered the prime values (a lot) and the cranking pulsewidth by quite a bit, and it seems to be better. It doesn't crank for a lengthy time anymore when its warm, but I still get pretty rough starts (fire, stumble and then fire) and sometimes it will fire and then bog for a second until it clears out. this morning when it was fully cold, it fired right up and then died about 5 seconds later...that was the firs time it has done that.

Its difficult to tune because you can't really get useful datalogs, and the wideband sensor isn't really accurate when its cold. Even letting the sensor warm up for ~30 with the key on before starting doesn't seem to generate useful readings.

Which setting has the most profound effect on starting? Prime pulse? Cranking injection time?

Is latency added to the cranking injection time, or are those values absolute?

Does the prime shot fire when the key is first turned on, or does it fire when you turn the key to the start position?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it starts up fine then dies or bogs, try adjusting the post start enrich tables.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
If it starts up fine then dies or bogs, try adjusting the post start enrich tables.
Yes I understand that part, but what I don't understand is how to determine whether to raise or lower them in the 0-10 second range. The engine could bag because its too lean or it could also be too rich. After ~10 seconds or so the wideband starts giving good readings (with a pre-heat first of course) but its the 0, 1, 5, and 10 second values that are difficult to tune. Thats why I was hoping that someone who has gone through this trouble of perfecting their start settings for all temperatures might be willing to share them
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email me your map and I will take a look at it. failsafeperformance@yahoo.com
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need more fuel in the prime when it's colder. Mine with the dw 800's had a pretty small prime pulse in the higher heats (around operating temps). it was single digit. I'm even smaller now that i have the 1000's in there.

For post start enrich, you'll need more for the colder the engine is. You can fire the car up and watch the tracer move then shut it down before the engine really heats up and then your wideband should be ok.

My wideband reads perfect right from the first fire. Mine will idle at around 10.5:1 during the first few seconds when the engine is colder. All i did was started adding fuel on them and as the time gets longer the fuel should slowly disappear until it's 0 at the top. When i went to adjust it i took the whole column and changed it as one. Start adding fuel and see how it responds, if it gets worse then you go back to your original settings (save the original map you started with) and start pulling some fuel until it gets better.

It took me a few weeks with checking it every day on my cold starts to get it right. Even now since the weather is dropping down in the 50's in the mornings it will start then die out and i'll have to start it again. that means the post start enrich needs to be adjusted. if it just takes forever to crank or you have to touch the gas to get it to fire then you need to change the prime pulse. I never changed my cranking enrichment. I left it alone since the first time the motor gets a fire it does the prime pulse then it's into the post start enrich table.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 PM
binder

Here are my values with these engine mods:

9.5:1 comp built block
ported heads
tomei 264 cams
vortech 2.87
headers/testpipe/borla
dw 800 injectors
cjm stage 0 return fuel at 40psi idle
5/16" motodyne spacer

So i'm not sure how close that will be for yours. Obviously since those were 800's you'll have to be larger i think in the numbers but you can at least use that and compare if you want.
Attached Thumbnails Haltech Start Settings-fuel_crank_dw800.jpg   Haltech Start Settings-post_enrich_dw800.jpg   Haltech Start Settings-prime_pulse_dw800.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
mx594

Thanks binder. Your prime settings are looking pretty close to mine. Your cranking numbers are a bit higher than mine, and your post start numbers are a lot higher than mine (I am around 11-12% at 0, 1 and 5 seconds for 100C, getting lower and the temp increases and higher as temp decreases).

IMHO 10.5 is excessively rich for any start, and just a waste of fuel. I aim for ~12.5 on a cold start, decaying to 14.7 just before closed loop takes over at ~30 seconds. In fact I might change my closed loop warmup time to 55 or 60 seconds, because it seems silly to go into closed loop before the startup enrichment has decayed. Today it fired up very nicely on a fully cold (65 F) start.

Chris - thanks for the offer. If I continue to have trouble I will sent it to you. This morning was encouraging though.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
binder

you're on a stock heads and cams with stock compression right?

built motors with low compression and ported heads and cams means i have a very low vaccuum at idle and engines like this don't like to idle well. We usually have to set it to idle richer than a stock engine so for warmup 10:1 seems to work ok. If i start leaning it out it gets very unhappy, lopes, and dies. it's only 10:1 for about 10 seconds anyways so that's not burning too much extra fuel.