Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

A New Way to Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binder
You can't say "hey, steer the car while i use the gas for you"....
lol..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
kartkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I think some have read too much into this.

My first thought while starting this thread was why has this not been done before but it has with SCT but as I have been told mostly on a dyno.

But as the customer you will need some knowledge of a safe place to pull runs as the tuner feels needed and their will be some hiccups as far as the streaming of the info back to the tuners computer but as the technology advances with faster bandwiths from wireless this will be overcome d.

But with all this said I wanted to have a good tune for my new Vortech V3. ASAP as winter is approaching.

I thank Vince fron RT/Tuning for watching this thread.
He really took my needs to heart and went above and beyond what I could have asked for.

Vince has to be one of the most stand up tuners I have had the privilege to get to know. He and his crew are friendly and can multi-task to help you out.
Never once did I get the feeling I was bugging him as I know I would have, but he understood this ride is my pride and I was excited to no end at the progress each adjustment was bringing and never did I feel he was shooting in the dark. He was very calculated at getting the best tune with out any harm to the car.

I could not express my awe at the professionalism they show from their shop I would highly recommend Vince and his shop for anyone.

I totally trust his tune and what a difference he has made
the car is wild now and puts a ear to ear grin on me.I will make the trek this spring to put it on his dyno and have him do his magic again.

Call them and you will agree

R/T Tuning 56 W 3rd St.
Lansdale PA. 19446

(215)855-5565

Last edited by kartkid; 10-14-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is already done, so not quite sure where the "newness" is
Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Canada
SG-Motorsport
160 Wilkinson Rd #31
Brampton, ON L6T 4Z4
sg-motorsport.com
(905) 463-1483
Advance PowerHouse
1217A Lawrence Ave. West
Toronto, ON M6A 1E2
advancepowerhouse.com
(416) 781-8671
Wester's Garage
218 Centre Street
Box 159
Tilley, Alberta T0J 3K0
westersgarage.net
(403) 377-CARS (2277)
Ztune Motorsports
#103-5180 Lougheed Hwy
Burnaby, BC V5B 2Z6
www.ztune.ca
1-888-ZED-TUNE
Johnny's Motorsports
595 St. Martin West
Laval Quebec H7M 1Y9
www.JonsMotorsports.com
(450) 629-1977

several of the above are not far from Montreal at all

or as mentioned, learn to tune yourself and then use the software directly on your own
Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 AM
kartkid

Thanks Z1 performance but BC is 3 days away and
Vince's shop R/T Tuning is one of the closest.

Johnnies shop is the one I got into REV-UP and in time he will get it down but I did not trust his tune as I was the first
he tried on and as you have read Vince had made a night and day difference.

As well as I have a great deal of skills and knowledge of motors and racing 35+ years I was able to follow what he was accomplishing and did not need to second guess his skills.

As far as Tuning myself never been a problem on American muscle cars and twin webbers etc.I ran my own shop for a few years but with the ECM's of today you need to stay on top of everything and for my time and and exploring this VQ35's threshold with out popping my motor my experence says go with someone who has been thru the learning curve a few hundred times.
After you have the pleasure of dealing with R/T Tuning
you will understand Why.

But thanks for the input and if you have not visited R/T Tuning as you are near Please do.

Last edited by kartkid; 10-15-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what happened, did he give you an E-tune or did you go to his shop?

But yea Vince is stand up guy he offered to help gratis with my tune as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

We ended up E tuning it to trim it in and get it close...air fuels are conservative as well as timing but all the logs look great. All fuel comps are between 95 and 105 so it seems that drivability is nice as well. I think he is coming down next spring to get it all trimmed in and 100%
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good stuff, I love to see the VQ tuning community coming together. I had a-lot of help myself over the internet when I was dialing mine in, and thank you Vince for offering your help as well.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 PM
kartkid

The Tune is complete from Vince @ R/T Tuning.
What a Stand up Shop.

If you did not know this Vince can also work on the A/T shifting using His Magic to stiffen up the shifts It really works!

I am very happy and will make the trek this spring for the dial in on his dyno.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM
kartkid

Now Getting back to Remote Tuning.

Is it possible? I still say yes!

There will be some issues to overcome as in bandwidth to support the streaming needed to really utilize real time tune.
But I still say that their is a calling for this. as well as an opportunity for a resourceful person.

As I have found in the tuning of my own VQ35 their is a vast amount of knowledge needed to accomplish this.

At first conception I thought this was just only hook up to internet run remote assistance to allow the tuner access to my lap top then connect the tuner cable and the tuner could open up the programs as he needed load his base rom tune and then flash ECM. I just needed to follow his instructions as far as finding a safe long road to have the tuner tell me what he needs (my safety first) thru a blue tooth and cell phone.

Utilizing the real time tune this seems seamless.
Get the best tune using this then reflash and your done!

And no remote assistance will not drive your ride!!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

There is no more knowledge required to tune a VQ as there is to tune any other relatively modern fuel injected engine. There is nothing magic, nor confusing about this engine
Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^i think it's more of what EMS available to tune every other engine, and it seems like the EMS made for other than VQ are easier to control/tune.. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 AM
kartkid

The amount of knowledge to be utilized is not quite the same as you are not with the car while this tune is done so if you have the knowledge of what the descending advance curve should be as well as the max safe advance should be, then you are not taking unnecessary risks.

And yes if you have tuned many ECMs using the same type of software it will not seem so hard.and no their is no magic but it sure reassuring knowing the guy tuning your ride has been tuning this type of engine for awhile and is trusted.

As well as I installed the trans-go shift kit as this is what most have said was needed when you go FI on an A/T. But you can reprogram thru the UP-Rev software to do the same thing. from wild to mild.

Last edited by kartkid; 10-17-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kartkid
The amount of knowledge to be utilized is not quite the same as you are not with the car while this tune is done so if you have the knowledge of what the descending advance curve should be as well as the max safe advance should be, then you are not taking unnecessary risks.
Not true if you know how a factory Z ecu works in the first place. There is no knock control in the upper rpm range in the first place, so you're just following AFR, and datalogs of various parameters to know it's spot on or not. Again, not difficult to do. There is no "what the curve should be", there is though "what this car, on this day, with this setup" wants, and how to set it up so that it performs consistently tomorrow. On that point, with anything wireless, there is some level of degredation of data. I would not want my car tuned this way for the sake of convenience until I was able to see first hand that such potential data loss/lag time could be 100% avoided. Otherwise, it's not really tuned, it's "sorta" tuned.

And yes if you have tuned many ECMs using the same type of software it will not seem so hard.and no their is no magic but it sure reassuring knowing the guy tuning your ride has been tuning this type of engine for awhile and is trusted.
That is simply a matter of choosing a tuning platform that is supported in your local market. Who tunes the car is far more important than what they are tuning it with. Always has been this way, always will be. I don't care if my tuner knows my engine - I care that he knows my ecu. This engine runs the same way as any other gas powered engine does, nothing magical about it. Knowing how the particular ecu works is the key to success and reliability.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 10-17-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 AM
kartkid

Sorry but I don't see where data loss has anything to do with the tune. The tune is done at the customers car thru his lap top just the same as if the tuner is in the car. The flash comes only after he has seen if any adjustments he has made works better.

Any data loss (IE. bad signal) would be seen before any flash wold be started.
As far as trusting your tuner,,, You Bet you need to build this, Do you think I used Vince to tune mine 8 1/2 hrs away thru a E-Type tune with out knowing he has experience and after speaking to him I knew he knew his stuff.

This is not new technology just new to this venue and as I stated this is not the optimum tune as on a dyno would be the best.

Also not to argue about this but from following this for awhile It is just as easy for me to tell you it will work with any competent Tuner who know about wireless and UP-REV as it is for you to shoot it down.

I am sure people said this about ON-STAR when it was first brought up. years ago.