Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

A New Way to Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM
kartkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New Way to Tune?

Just a Thought with the mobile wi-fi and advanced tech.

Why Could we not have a tune across the world. Meaning the tuner could sit in his or hers office and tune your ride using Up-Rev. as the tool?

Using remote assistant he could see how you car is running in real time and via your cell phone can direct you as if you were on a dyno to run a pull then collect the data and readjust then have you stop and park to reflash and retry.

You would need the tuner license and cable but for someone like myself I have no tuners that use Up Rev anywhere close and after a turbo or supercharger install
you need the tune ASAP.

It would be very helpful and if it is possible some one could cash in on a whole untaped market.. Hint..

If so Help me first..

I can't see why not as this would be the same as having a tuner in your car but the only problem I foresee would be Up-Rev seeing this and hiring some tuner them self and cashing in on it limiting some good tuners a way to reach out and tune someone..

So let me see this can of worms roll down the gutter of the Nay sayers..
Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aside of this, what are base maps for?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think there is too much liability.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by djamps
"now...press the gas all the way down until it redline."
"ok"
*boom*
"it blew up!!"
*hangs up*
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL exactly...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Novesh
"ok"
*boom*
"it blew up!!"
*hangs up*
Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 AM
kartkid

Just as I thought NO VISION AHEAD!!

Yes their will be some liability issues but just the same as when you put yours on a dyno And what would you suggest when you have no reliable tuners in your area?

I am sure this type of tune will be used sooner than not as there are many good tuners that have a good set of base maps for many mods that they have tuned in their time that they will start with.

Then they can go from their, Granted you they may not want to tune it for max HP this way but I can't see where the down side of this is as with the live tune you can see in real time whats up!

I am sure their are some tuners that can tune great with out the use of a dyno that would love to work from home and make a living.

You could even have a web cam connected to hear and see as well...Just like being their.

ANY Tuners out their want to take a shot at this or chime in and
give some feed back on this?

It seems to easy to shoot forward thinking down than to see a great opportunity and seize it to help others and cash in on some knowledge and work from home.trying to open up different avenues as I would like to have a tune from Church or Forged Performance Ect. But distance is way too far.

Think out side the box and be kind. Please don't Flame me for asking!

Last edited by kartkid; 10-09-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 AM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kartkid
Great idea, I agree.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 AM
xzotklr

"ok"
*boom*
"it blew up!!"
*hangs up*

Reminds me of the commercial where a guy is calling customer service and a Russian dude is passing himself off as "Peggy", then hangs up when he is questioned.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by djamps
How so??
IMHO there is no more liability than if the tuner is physically there. A tuner is not going to take responsibility if your motor blows on a dyno. This seems like a potentially viable way to have a particular tuner do the work.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 AM
kacz07

I don't think it's practical or preferable by tuners. Would you feel comfortable tuning a car long distance if you could, much more easily, fill your schedule with people who want your business and live close by?

If I was a tuner, I guess I would consider it, but rarely choose to tune like that as opposed to my shop. They're still hours I need to dedicate to a customer. It's not like you'd be able to multi-task and work with another customer at the same time, so there's no profitable gain. Also, the software would be another expense. For someone who is established, it doesn't seem like there is any reward.

And there is a TON more liability.

If you connect with a customer and they drive the car incorrectly, but there are digital/physical records showing the tuner was in communication while the car blew up, who is responsible? How does that play out in court? How likely are they to take responsibility when they can't see the car? Will there be sanctioned tuning areas or private properties deemed safe for ripping WOT for an hour or so? Think about it. Accidents, blown up motors, speeding tickets, etc.

I think it's a cool idea, but there is too much room for error in our current environment.

Is it not fun to take a road trip and drive back with a whole new car? Are you suggesting this because you're lazy?

Last edited by kacz07; 10-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 AM
kartkid

No I am not Lazy.

Gee would you like to take a road trip and half way there blow up and leave you stranded as well.

As far as using your shop time for your customers that are there great but if you find a untaped customer base what would stop you from GROWING and hiring another few tuners that would enjoy working from home that could be payed by hours billed.

As far as the tickets or SAFE areas to run it!! We all have ran WOT with our rides Thats why we build them!

If they are unsafe drivers they will get tickets anyway Where as driving home with a new ride is what we all would enjoy driving 3 hrs with a base map unknown
Consequences could occur and then who's responsible!

Look I am not here to battle just to see if it is feasible and a calling for it as well as opening a avenue for help and a possible business opportunity for some one to start.

As with any Business their are liability's that you will work to minimize.

You never know? A great tuner might get canned for sleeping with the bosses wife and now this door opens up for him...and US!!

As far as software $1,500. is not a large investment from UP-Rev the expense is from the user putting down 700 for the tuner package and the $ for the remote tune

Last edited by kartkid; 10-09-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you're missing the point on the WOT thing. If you decide to take it WOT and get arrested then great for you. If the tuner tells you to do it then some little ***** decides to file a lawsuit because "the tuner told me to" then there is a problem. Tuners do it on a dyno which isn't illegal so they aren't telling you to do anything illegal.

That's why you sign the paper at the tuner that says your car is for offroad use only. How does that hold up if the tuner is telling you to do things on the street? It doesn't. Like stated before, it puts the tuner in a whole new section of liability.

Now if you are talking about a remote session on a dyno then that might be plausable.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Stick to your local tuners...
Support your local scene....

No reason to give someone business that's a bigilion miles away and does not really care.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 AM
kacz07

No reason to give someone business that's a bigilion miles away and does not really care.
Above all else, +1.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 AM
kartkid

Oh Come on now so for that you fax a consent form that absolves you from that or such. as well as from the dyno that says it is for off road use only. and in court do you think that will hold as he sees the car arriving from the street and letting them leave on a daily basis from their shop.

And Yes a Remote dyno would be great but you miss the point of this thread.

Is it possible and is there a need for this. as far as all of the legal debates that will up to who ever wants to be a entrepreneur and wrap their head around this for a profit.

But for myself I would enjoy to have this option!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM
kartkid

Exactly if I had a tuner close that has experience I would support them and keep a good relationship with them.

As far as using someone else that has a great reputation for providing this service would have to care to have business survive. It is called the American way providing a better service for profit and being on that note we are all loyal to one thing first Our wallet! I am sure we all shop on line to find our parts for a good price as I am sure you do not go to your local dealer or shop to buy everything for your ride.

You will support who ever you feel takes care of you and trust.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Z_HighSpeed

There may be someone close enough to you....how much researc have u done
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
kartkid

At first look no one as I found johnnies motor sports and turned him on to UP-Rev and I don't feel he has a good understanding on all the parameters that need adjusting.

So if you look up on UP -Rev you will see he is new to them

Someone let me know of Aimisi for tunes but I have not been able to contact them to see if they use UP-Rev as I have that system now.

I will contact them on Tues as Monday is Thanksgiving up here.

The net nearest is in Toronto but it is approx 6 hrs away.

So that is why I thought of this thread to find a tuner that have a few years under them tuning the VQ35 to get me their.

Thanks for any help if you know of any closer.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
kacz07

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Quick Reply: A New Way to Tune?