Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Which Engine Management to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:03 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Engine Management to use?

What would anyone who knows about engine management recommend for the following:

NA approach with some nitrous:
Stock bottom end with Tomei (268) cams
Lightly ported heads
Some form of intake manifold (Crawford or otherwise)
150 shot of nitrous

or

FI approach:
Built forged bottom end with 8.5:1 compression
lightly ported heads with Tomei (264) cams
DreamWorkes Supercharger (10-12 psi)

Which engine management system should I use for either of the two setups depending on which way I go. There is a better chance I will go with the first solution than the second but you never know...

I want to be able to rev high to take advantage of the cams, I want no top speed limiter, and I want to be able to adjust AF, timing, etc., through a laptop or otherwise to accomodate changes made in the future, weather, fuel type, etc. I want to have control.

I know there is Technosquare, Greddy EManage, AEM, and XEDE. Which should I use? Are there better alternatives?

Help!
Old 11-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will yo be tuning yourself or having someone do it? A tth end of the day, unless you have used programmable engine management yourself and don't mind a learning curve, use whatever it is your localtuners (who know their stuff) use. The actual choice of engine management is not really critical 9though admittedly, your choices are all over the board in terms of function, price and adjustability).

From a standalone perpective, AEM, Electromotive, Motec, Pectel, Haltech, etc are all remarkably similar, and all an be made to work very well...picking your tuner is the most critical choice.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:10 PM
FLY BY Z

Well, I think that after the initial tune I will be fine. I think that I would like the adjustability to be mine. I know the effects of each change I could make, I have just traditionally done it mechanically instead of electronically. So I guess what I am asking is what system would be the least expensive and easiest to use based on what I need. I don't need overkill or extras. I just want the car to run perfectly all the time (if possible). What is the simplest way to go with this setup and still maintain tunability? So far I think I like the XEDE but what about speed and rev limiters?
Old 11-29-2003, 03:24 PM
moog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used to work at the local shop, we worked a lot w/ Bob Norwood. He knows how to install and tune Motec pretty well.

btw...I got a few pix of our meetup at Tinseltown from last weekend. I'll post em up in the TX section.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:22 AM
mjedens

Default 1st Choice

Your 1st choice is what I'm trying to make work now! The A/F is a "*****"! Give me a couple more days and I'll have something narrowed down.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standalone? AEM EMS. Make sure you find a really good tuner though.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Xede may fit the bill nciely for you

E Manage may do it as well

if it were me, I';d wait a bit on it and see how thetest shake out - with something as important as engine management, no sense being a guinea pig unless you have to be