Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Has anyone heard of this with up-rev???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
856_reilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone heard of this with up-rev???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone heard of setting the fuel targets at 100% and then letting the ecu make up the air ratio on it's own? Hears what I got goin on. I'm trying to get to the bottom of somthing. I really can't say who I'm going to point the finger at yet because I have to get all my facts straight. I'm really not sure how all this tuning s**t goes so I'm looking for some info and help. Basically my new tuner could not get into my fuel maps ( he said cause there never was one) He could see all my timing but could not see the fuel at all. He asked me if my old tuner had put a lock on the fuel maps. My tuner said he finally figured out what was going on after another guy came to him to get his car tuned after this shop ( I'm not going to say yet)just tuned him and his car ran like ****. The new tuner said the old tuner just set the fuel targets at 100% and pretty much let the ecu do the rest on it's own to make up for the fuel.
I'll ask more about whats going on tomorrow cause I may have a few things not to clear. But if anyone can understand a little to what I am saying please reply. Cause if I find out this guy is taking peoples money and pretty much not tuning there cars and saying he did then I'm going to make it be known who it is and not to go there.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Tuner

I just got my Osiris Tuner Cable, and I'm learning a lot about the Osiris tuning, but from your description, either A) you aren't translating what your new tuner said correctly in your post, or B) he's clueless about the basics of Osiris or C) he's feeding you BS, talking bad about the other tuner, thinking that you're dumb enough to blindly believe it.

I'm not sure where the breakdown is occurring, but if the tune was in fact a LoaderROM (locked from other tuners stealing the tune), the new tuner wouldn't have been able to pull any of the details of the tune. So he couldn't have known how the different tables were set up. In one sentence, you say that he couldn't get to them, the next sentence you say that he said they didn't exist, and the next you say that they were set to 100%. That defies logic.

And fuel maps aren't in percentage, they are either in lambda or ratio (inside UpRev they are a ratio - i.e. 14.7:1). Your whole story from the new tuner just doesn't add up. I realize that some of the confusion may be that you're dealing with a topic that you don't fully understand.

Was this a dyno tune or an eTune that you bought each time?

If a dyno tune, did they give you before and after dyno numbers? Were you satisfied with the results then?

Again, I'm not an experienced tuner, but there's a lot missing from this story that doesn't add up for me. Also, the tune being locked is not a sign of anything inappropriate from your original tuner. I'm not sure why your new tuner would have even taken the conversation in that direction unless he just wanted to bad mouth the other tuner, which isn't a good sign. I would expect my tuner's results to speak for themselves on the dyno, and not through bad mouthing his competition.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone heard of setting the fuel targets at 100% and then letting the ecu make up the air ratio on it's own? Hears what I got goin on. I'm trying to get to the bottom of somthing. I really can't say who I'm going to point the finger at yet because I have to get all my facts straight. I'm really not sure how all this tuning s**t goes so I'm looking for some info and help. Basically my new tuner could not get into my fuel maps ( he said cause there never was one) He could see all my timing but could not see the fuel at all. He asked me if my old tuner had put a lock on the fuel maps. My tuner said he finally figured out what was going on after another guy came to him to get his car tuned after this shop ( I'm not going to say yet)just tuned him and his car ran like ****. The new tuner said the old tuner just set the fuel targets at 100% and pretty much let the ecu do the rest on it's own to make up for the fuel.
I'll ask more about whats going on tomorrow cause I may have a few things not to clear. But if anyone can understand a little to what I am saying please reply. Cause if I find out this guy is taking peoples money and pretty much not tuning there cars and saying he did then I'm going to make it be known who it is and not to go there.
Hey 856_reilly, typically all the fuel comps get set at 100 and the MAF values are tweaked to get the desired air fuel ratio. Its a common mistake that some shops make when they first start tuning UPREV to make all the adjustments on the fuel comp tables. The fuel comp is the last thing the ECU looks at when trimming fuel. I usually can get a car tuned with fuel comps all at 100 but sometimes small tweaks are needed, however it should really never exceed 95-105. When you tune off MAF values the tune comes out smoother and more accurate. Not quite sure what the "Tuner" meant by not being able to access the fuel Maps cause if he could access the timing maps the the fuel maps are there. Also the only way to look at the whole tune is to have the original ROM file from the original tuner, there is now way to download it from the ECU.

After i heard "my new tuner could not get into my fuel maps ( he said cause there never was one)", I would hope the "New Tuner" has all the facts and info straight before they would knock (no pun intended..) another tuner to a customer.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still learning.

Sorry, I was talking about the Target AFR table. Like I said, I'm learning.