Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

looking for a simple breakdown of osiris

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 AM
TurTLe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
^^^ If you have an Osiris standard and flash your vehicle the License is on the ECU. If you crash your car, as long as you have access to it you can reflash the ECU back to stock and put the license back on the cable. Then you can sell the cable, there is no extra licensing fee or anything.
doesn't the new owner have to register their VIN with uprev. I thought that was always needed, its a cheap price like under $100 and it comes with a free etune.

the tune for the old car is stored on the cable or my computer? Obviously with a Osiris standard, i can NOT do adjustments on my own but can i download someone's file and run that correct or are they mated only to the cable.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ UPREV doesnt need a VIN or anything. The free E Tunes is just a service they offer when you purchase an Osiris standard from UPREV. If you have and existing license then they may charge you 100$ for etunes, but that is to cover there time.

The Tune is on the ECU. Also the license is on the ECU as well. They are two separate things... To recover the license you need to flash your ECU with a "back to stock" ROM...that is essentially a ROM that loads the License back on to the cable (not the tune) and flashes the ECU with a factory ROM(tune is no longer there)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
TurTLe

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
The Tune is on the ECU. Also the license is on the ECU as well. They are two separate things... To recover the license you need to flash your ECU with a "back to stock" ROM...that is essentially a ROM that loads the License back on to the cable (not the tune) and flashes the ECU with a factory ROM(tune is no longer there)
What i was saying is, say i buy a used STANDARD version. Will there already be tunes? Obviously in most cases i shouldn't use them, but for now say its the exact same mods. The original owner went back to stock on his ECU. So is that standard version tuneless, if the orginal owner still has the email or tune files he could give them to me to upload correct?

Same idea as if i was to buy a tune from you vince? I send you datalogs i get from cipher and you send me a etune for a price. I'll have the file always correct? if i wanted to i could upload that tune on to like 20 cars, how they run is another story.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Ok...i see what your saying. If you were to buy a used standard you would have a cable and a license, that is all. If you wanted an UPREV converted stock ROM just to get the license on to your ECU, I would send that to you for free. If you wanted E tuning it would cost you 100$. At that point you would have several ROMs, the Stock UPREV ROM, all the versions of the R/T Tuning modified ROM's and a "back to stock " ROM. You would be able to flash and swap any of those roms at anytime.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
TurTLe

looking on the uprev's site. If you buy the STANDARD you are given 5 roms right off the bat. In what form are they given to you in? Emailed i assume.

Vince, BTW thanks for all your help
Old 05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
05UltraYellow

took me 15 minutes to get through all the responses and i still dont know which choice is best. time to start over lol
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
nofrey

+1 lol
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first person that buys standard is going to use the e-tunes for their car. So buying a used STANDARD cable, you're not going to still have the free e-tunes available in most cases. Also, even if the ROM files were available for the original person's car - they are specific to his ECU model number. So you are not likely to have matching ECU model numbers unless your cars were ordered from Nissan and manufactured at the same time and were the same model/trim.

Also, the 5 e-tunes are not 5 separate ROMs, but are 5 maps within a single ROM file. These are usually tuned AFR and ignition maps for "Sport/Performance", "Best MPG Highway", "Best MPG City", "Valet", "Drag Launching", etc. You can switch between the different maps using the cruise control buttons.

What questions do you guys have? I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-30-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM
nofrey

sorry for the newb ?s...new to all this tuning stuff...Ok i get the new/used part, but what actually comes in the uprev kit if i buy online. Is it just a disk and cable to plug into ur obd port? Also I'm probably going to have it tuned at churches here in socal and i believe there a licensed tuner. Now if they are, do i buy there they install and tune/dyno or do i buy online and if i do, do i have to buy the 700$ kit?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Talk to your tuner. He will be able to give you the most options, plus they can sometimes get a deal on the cables under retail if they are an Uprev Pro Tuner. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I didn't say that.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
TurTLe

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop

What questions do you guys have? I'll be happy to try and answer them.
I'll shoot.

1. Do i need a A/F gauge/sensor.

Is the a way to monitier current A/f Rations thru cypher? I saw you posted up a "target A/R chart" in other postings. I know we can read LT/ST FT. That is close but not exactly real time and exact. I would assume a STFT of +3.3% would be 14.7+3.3= 18.0/1 ratio. Which is extremely lean. The most i ever seen an trim level was +/- 20% and that was due to like MAF being bad or lines being broken.

2. Are the etunes that we order from uprev, LOCKED? I wanted to compare side by side what adjustments they did and learn from it. I know we have tuning secrets here at stake and etc. In the end seeing what one person adjusts and learning why is much better then just reading a book on tuning.

3. Are there other people that do e-tunes here other then uprev, i assume Vince@R/TTuning would be one guy. I have two local shops that show up as a lincesed tuner but they aren't big with VQ anymore. AMS is more evo tuning and GRD is more euro tuning ( they dont have uprev listed anymore on their site). That kinda leaves me unsettled, yea i know a dyno tune > *.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by TurTLe
I'll shoot.

1. Do i need a A/F gauge/sensor.

Is the a way to monitier current A/f Rations thru cypher? I saw you posted up a "target A/R chart" in other postings. I know we can read LT/ST FT. That is close but not exactly real time and exact. I would assume a STFT of +3.3% would be 14.7+3.3= 18.0/1 ratio. Which is extremely lean. The most i ever seen an trim level was +/- 20% and that was due to like MAF being bad or lines being broken.
Your car has AFR sensors. If it is an 03-04 it has narrow band sensors. If it is an 04.5+ it has wideband. Those are the sensors used to report your air fuel ratio in cypher and in osiris real time tuning. These provide real time data from the vehicle's sensors.

2. Are the etunes that we order from uprev, LOCKED? I wanted to compare side by side what adjustments they did and learn from it. I know we have tuning secrets here at stake and etc. In the end seeing what one person adjusts and learning why is much better then just reading a book on tuning.
If you have the Osiris Tuner version, you can look at the tunes and make modifications. If you have just the flash or Osiris Standard, you aren't going to be able to tweak them or do anything other than flash using the ROM files they send you.

3. Are there other people that do e-tunes here other then uprev, i assume Vince@R/TTuning would be one guy. I have two local shops that show up as a lincesed tuner but they aren't big with VQ anymore. AMS is more evo tuning and GRD is more euro tuning ( they dont have uprev listed anymore on their site). That kinda leaves me unsettled, yea i know a dyno tune > *.
Any licensed Pro Tuner can provide e-tunes for you & since Uprev is arguably the most popular tuning choice for our platform, most of the shops that I know of that specialize in the VQ are Uprev Pro Tuners.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-31-2012 at 02:51 PM.