Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

ECUs interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
350ztony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECUs interchangeable?

im going to buy a turbo kit that comes with injectors and and ECU reflash as part of the package.. or i am atleast considering it.
part of the deal is that you get the kit, and in it is a box you put your ecu in and ship it and they flash it for the kit you just bought and send it back.

i would rather have a spare used ECU that i could send to have the flash done so that i could remove the turbo kit and go back to stock with as little effort as possible but i read somewhere that the ecu was specific to the car, and or the key maybe and you couldnt use an ECU that was for another car. im not sure..
now i could be wrong here and i have it confused with something else i read.
but i dont think my key has anything special in it, and i ive seen a lot of used ECUs for sale which leads me to believe that if ur ECU went you could purchase a used one and install it in your car..

any input??
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sure you can use a different ecu, but it must be reprogrammed by the dealer. The new program supersedes the old one, so your keys now will not work with the old ECU.

In essence you can only have 1 set of working key associated with only 1 ECU at a time.

So yes, you can get a spare ecu, have the dealer reprogram it and sent it off for a flash tune. But you will have to have the dealer reprogram your original ECU if you ever wanted to go back to it. And once you do that, you can not go back to the new ECU

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-01-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Uprev we can actually disable NATS so you can use it one your vehicle without reprogramming. The ECU must be within the series that is correct for your car. You can use a different series but you have to do custome security keys to make it work. PM if you are interested in this.

Thanks, Vince
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM
350ztony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may be interested..

i want to get some sort of tuning software kit but i have no experience with them and from what i have heard it is an art as much as a science.

i would be interested in buying an osiris kit or Utec or whatever and learning it , but the 350z is my daily driver and i dont want to run the risk of jacking it all up since there is no one close to me that can fix it.

since i am looking to add a turbo kit im going to need some way to manage the ecu, i thought worst case scenario i would have a back up ecu and i could go back to stock injectors and ECU to get the car to somewhere that could fix it - like 2 hours away.

i am not dead set on this kit anyway - i would like to have a piece of hardware / software combo rather than relying on someone else to flash my ecu and not know exactly how my car will react.
also the kit come set up to run 8lbs of boost and i would definitely like to keep it closer to 6lbs for my stock motor. so what if the flash they offer is only good for their 8lbs set up? it probly shouldnt matter since it reads the data from the maf to determine mixture, but like i said i have so experience with this part, i have always been a nuts and bolts type of guy when i comes to cars.

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
With Uprev we can actually disable NATS so you can use it one your vehicle without reprogramming. The ECU must be within the series that is correct for your car. You can use a different series but you have to do custome security keys to make it work. PM if you are interested in this.

Thanks, Vince
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 AM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dyno tune...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by herrschaft
dyno tune...
+11111111111111111 don't load a canned F/I tune on your daily driver. You're going to blow it up I promise.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 PM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

OP if this is your daily i would caution you to stay away from doing anything F/I to it. However if you do decide to go down that road, the reflash that is included with the kit should do you well for a little while. Most times companies will tune on the safe side and make your car run rich. But I would highly encourage that you get some type of aftermaket tuning solution (Osiris/Utech) that will allow a tuning to make it right for your sepcific application. I am somewhat in the same boat as you as far as wanting to learn how to tune my car myself, and it is an art as well as a science, and it will take a great deal of time to get good at it.

Another thing to keep in mind, like djamps mentioned, with F/I it will only be a matter of time before your motor goes. There are a lot of hidden costs with going down this road, just read some of the sticky threads and some of the VER X.X builds from the veterans of this forum. Be sure to take everything into account before you take the leap.

Good luck with your plans and I hope this helps out some.