*resolved!* Uprev Registered "Pro Tuners" - NATS Help Request

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question *resolved!* Uprev Registered "Pro Tuners" - NATS Help Request

Hello,

So here is the background story:

Car has been sitting for a week or two. I tried starting it up yesterday, but the car did not start. (Has a good battery) It cranked but wouldn't fire up. I tried multiple times after checking the battery and starter and oil. (Bad idea)

I have Uprev Tuner Edition and checked for codes. Apparently the BCM RF antenna/immobilizer chip in key was not reading correctly. The Z was in "lock out mode". The solid red security LED was also proof. I thought I was able to disable NATS from Uprev, but learned that wasn't the case, only Pro Tuners have this ability.

I have read the procedure to get out of "lock out mode", however,
I have been using the valet key for the past two years now. One of the other keys was stolen (backpack was stolen while on vacation), the other was accidentally put on the back of a car and that car drove off. (I still have a key that does not have the immobilizer chip in case I lock myself out of the car as well)

Options:
1. Tow the car to dealer get new keys made/registered.
2. Have Uprev or a Pro Tuner enable the NATS settings for me some how? Part of the ROM or Rom Editor Definitions?

I prefer option 2 as that will allow me to ditch the NATS box and wiring as my car is more track oriented now anyway. I don't have airbags, don't have stock seat belts, have roll bar, bucket seats, harnesses... etc. I don't want to pay to have my keys made, only to go back and have NATS disabled!

So bottom line I am reaching out to Uprev Pro Tuners to see if they can help me out. I have a track day this weekend and would like to get this all sorted out soon. Willing to pay if I have to. But all I need is the NATS to be disabled or have the ability to set it unlocked on my software/rom. No real "e-tune" or what not. I already have the 600-700$ tuner edition!

I think it sucks that I paid so much only to not have that option available to me, but I understand why Uprev would not provide it to average joes. Still though theft is inevitable if someone wants it bad enough.

Reference Nissan SB and photo attached.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have already reached out to Uprev and the shop I bought Osiris from, but created this thread to try to get a quicker response.

Cliffs:
1. Z in lockout mode. Only have valet key.
2. Have Uprev Tuner. Want NATS enable/disable feature in Uprev. Will pay if necessary.
3. Don't want to go to dealer to have new keys made because racecar.

Edit:
I want to thank some shops that responded and were willing to help me out so quickly. I did get this resolved this evening and the car starts up flawlessly again!!! I appreciate the help fellas!

Edit 2: I want to add, Uprev replied back and they were willing to do this free of charge as well. So if you have the tuner edition of Osiris, I guess they're OK with updating your ROM to disable NATS.
Attached Thumbnails *resolved!* Uprev Registered "Pro Tuners" - NATS Help Request-10.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NTB02-071a.pdf (191.1 KB, 1291 views)

Last edited by Voboy; 07-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can just mail uprev your rom file and for $50, they will turn off NATS.

otherwise you will have to take the ECU to your UPREV tuner and they can do the same thing, for whatever price you negotiate
Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 AM
thisishk350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can just get nats disabled on your Rom then flash it yourself, takes all of 10 seconds if you've got the right cable
Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent, we will get ya squared away
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Vince! Another shop saw my post earlier and offered their support. The car is up and running again! I'm happy to see the community on here is still quite helpful!!! Thanks MY350Z members and sponsors!

Mods feel free to lock thread if neccessary.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
str8dum1

there must be alot of versions of Rom Editor, as I have the latest edition and I dont have that NATS tab under settings....
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Erik@R/Ttuning

^^^ the NATS option only shows up with ProTuner enabled cables. Regular ROM editor enabled cables don't have that option.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
str8dum1

why doesnt it have that option.... blah

hmm, so even if you disable the codes with regular rom editor, is NATS still active? I'm using a Proefi so it doesnt matter, but was curious.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^^ when I talked to UPREV it was more of a security issue. They didn't want everybody to have access to be able to disable the NATS on the Nissan's cars, only Pro tuners that they have a relationship with.

With that said if you need me to disable NATS on your ROM just shoot me your ROM I can disable it and as long as you modify that ROM file from that point on the NATS with always be disabled even though you don't see it as an option.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i saw this thread and just thinking out loud..

i have 2 issues with the car, intermittent, randomly happens, and been going on for more than 2 years now, and i can't figure out the source.

1- the car sometimes will crank but won't start, battery is new.. if i completely switch off and back on, sometimes it works after one attempt, sometimes i have to do it like 20x times, sometimes i remove the key and put it back on, etc..... i always thought it could be the tune, the injectors, fuel pump, or spark plugs. i had those checked and they were reported fine.

2- the car sometimes won't move.. put in drive, or reverse and it won't go past 1.25k rpm.. it would rev fine on Neutral and Park, but won't rev on Drive or Reverse. I also noticed when this happens, the AFR goes rich 11.x on idle, while if the problem isn't present it's on a good AFR 14.x. replaced 3 sensors (i don't remember them now), but that didn't fix the problem. sometimes i just switch off the engine and back on and it would work fine. and many times that wouldn't work.. and in couple of occasions, it happened while i was driving. the car was fine and i was doing 90miles, and suddenly went limp and wouldn't respond to throttle, rpm won't pass 1.25k, and speed decreases to that speed. and out of the blue it would pick up again and drive fine.. weird! ¬_¬

anyhow.. going back to 2008/09, i've done key fob conversion to Altima's.. but that didn't work well, so i put everything back together.. the transopnder in that key got chipped in the process, i don't remember how, but it didn't go well when putting it back on the 350z key, and i thought that the key wouldn't work, but it did.. so i thought nothing's wrong with it..

now, does anyone think this key could be the culprit behind all these issues???
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe the not starting problem... but not the limp mode. Limp mode is caused by critical systems not getting the right signal to the ECU. Usually stuff to do with throttle body, cam sensors, crank sensors, grounds, and wiring.

I'm surprised you haven't posted the codes you're getting, I bet it sheds some light...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by djamps
Maybe the not starting problem... but not the limp mode. Limp mode is caused by critical systems not getting the right signal to the ECU. Usually stuff to do with throttle body, cam sensors, crank sensors, grounds, and wiring.

I'm surprised you haven't posted the codes you're getting, I bet it sheds some light...
That's the biggest problem, no error codes...

otherwise, we'd be able to point out where it could be, or what could cause it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by maXmood
That's the biggest problem, no error codes...

otherwise, we'd be able to point out where it could be, or what could cause it.
It's not limp mode then. Only other thing I can think of is brake signal going into the ECU. If for some reason the ECU thinks you've got your foot on the brake the throttle override is owning you.

Last edited by djamps; 09-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

It's not limp mode then. Only other thing I can think of is brake signal going into the ECU. If for some reason the ECU thinks you've got your foot on the brake the throttle override is owning you.
many possibilities...

Why do you think when this happens, AFR goes rich? even if my foot off the pedal.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by maXmood
many possibilities...

Why do you think when this happens, AFR goes rich? even if my foot off the pedal.
Do a cipher log while it's happening. Log everything you can.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Do a cipher log while it's happening. Log everything you can.
never thought of doing that..

i know we can log limited number of inputs on cipher, but i'll try and do them in batches..

also FYI, i'm running Haltech and not osiris, but i do have the tuner edition.

i gotta find that cable now!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

attached is a zip file, it has a log of the car when it had the issue and when it started working fine..

since i can't log all of it at one go, i had to do them in batches (3) for both conditions.

it happened today.. the engine cranked and started fine, but there weren't any response on the throttle, rpm won't go above 1.25k (on D or R) even if i floor the pedal, but it would rev fine on P and N. it took around 25mins to get back to normal working condition, without me doing anything special..

i do something sometimes for it work (which i believe it's mostly a coincidence), and 9 out of 10 it doesn't work, so i'm not confident it has anything to do with it...for me to move around when this happens, i put it on N, rev high (3k rpm), then back to D while it's high on the rpm to get a push, so the car moves 2mph faster lol.. i know i might be hurting the tranny this way, but that's the only way for the car to move and avoid embarrasment jamming off a 1/2mile one-way lane...

sometimes i don't do anything. i just sit and wait, and out of the blue, the car is back to normal..

let me know if u find anything suspecious on those files..

thanks

Last edited by maXmood; 09-20-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

attachment was currupted on the previous post.. reposting here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
NotMoving.zip (56.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Mitch Starnes

"I have read the procedure to get out of "lock out mode""

I have a stock 2004 350z with this same problem. Where is this procedure?

Is there any alternative to the Up Rev Pro route?

If so many cars are affected by this problem then why doesn't Nissan issue a recall?

Thanks.