Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

OEM wideband wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM
TheSteve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM wideband wiring

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get my turbonetics/haltech Z through emissions. I had another thread regarding a faulty Haltech harness causing injectors to be held open at 100% duty cycle, and I believe that all that fuel pumping through the exhaust has trashed the two upstream O2 sensors. This is an 06 with factory widebands upstream of the cat.

Watching the O2 voltage I see 0.8v on one sensor and 1.1v on the other. These are the upstream ones, not the downstream. According the the FSM at a stoich cruise I should be around 2.3v. Needless to say, this throws codes for both sensors, and I can't get through emissions with the CEL on.

The obvious answer to my problem is "replace your sensors" but I don't want to do this if it's possible to fool the ECU. The reason for this is the Haltech uses a completely separate sensor elsewhere and I'd be throwing money away replacing the factory ones, and (the bigger issue) Turbonetics designed the piping in such a way that I don't even think it's possible to replace the driver's side sensor without most of the turbo kit coming apart. I really don't want to do this if at all possible.

I did buy one sensor, because it only threw one code at first. Is there a way to put the sensor in the passenger side (I can at least get to that one) and split its output to the driver's side O2 input as well?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
TheSteve

Spoke too soon. I replaced the passenger side one and saw only a .3 volt difference when coasting (full lean). There must be something wrong with something else on the car.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
TheSteve

Ok, so I'm throwing codes P2A00 and P2A03 for the two primary O2 sensors. Watching them on an OBD scanner, the absolute highest they get is 0.8v and 1.4v while coasting. While driving they are around 0.3 and 0.5v respectively. I know the car isn't running that rich; I get 27MPG hand calculated. The sensor showing 1.4v is brand new and is a real Bosch sensor, not a knockoff.

What could cause the voltage to be so low? Should I try to probe voltage elsewhere and ignore what the OBD scanner is telling me? Lets forget about replacing the bank 1 sensor for now; looks like the sensor may not be the cause of the low voltage after all.

I do have an O2 simulator built for the downstream sensors as I have no cats. This seems to work perfectly as I am throwing no codes for the downstream sensors. I don't think this will affect the fronts at all but I'm throwing it out there just in case.