Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Do I need an Uprev tune with these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
EntropZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an Uprev tune with these mods?

I have been researching intensely for the past 2 months on what my first mods will be. I also now have a slipping clutch, and I figured I could get it all bundled at once through the vendor classifieds. I am looking at the following mods and wondering if I need to take my car to be UpRev tuned:

('05 Enthusiast 350Z 6MT)

JWT JWT 350Z Clutch/Flywheel Combo, 03-06 http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...7107.8.182.107

JWT Popcharger Intake 03-06

Invidia Gemini Cat-back exhaust X-Pipe (Rolled titanium tips)

Berk HFC

I have the money for all of these mods, my clutch is still very driveable, just slippin a bit. However, I do not want to shell out $600 for an Uprev tune 200 miles south of me until I have headers, plenum and a manifold. Will I be fine with what I have selected (I know I will throw a CEL), or am I unable to run the flywheel without a tune? If necessary, I have no problem replacing the clutch only and saving the flywheel for later.

I tried searching around hard, and I couldn't find anything specific as this is kinda specific to my situation. Thanks a lot if you took the time to read this.

Last edited by EntropZ; 06-03-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Forgot my thank you. you can't forget a thank you.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

you will be fine without a tune as long as you don't ride with those mods, untuned, for a really long time.. as soon as you get your headers/plenum installed then get a tune.

btw, plenum/manifold = same thing
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Why would you throw a CEL? As long as you have spacers on your seconday O2 sensors you wont throw one.

Ive driven 1000+ miles on my test pipes and no CEL.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally,I would not do a tune until all the planned stuff was done.
How long do you anticipate that being?
Your car will be running lean for sure.Yes,you will throw a CEL.
I'd rethink the headers(waste of time&$$).Just do a spacer.The results
will not be much different.For the money you will save,you could get that needed
tune and have bucks left over!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 AM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
Why would you throw a CEL? As long as you have spacers on your seconday O2 sensors you wont throw one.

Ive driven 1000+ miles on my test pipes and no CEL.
This is not true.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
EntropZ

Thanks for moving this, mods. But, I meant getting a plenum spacer and a new manifold... but from what jcity posted, does he mean that I cannot get headers and a plenum spacer at the same time? Are headers not compatible with the 5/16'' height increase the spacer adds? If someone could clarify that'd be great. Thanks for the reply though, it would maybe be 4-5 months before I could get down to Project X in Chicago for an UpRev tune after I install the parts listed above.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
sk8r776

Headers will be compatible with a spacer. Spacer will not affect anything except the volume of the plenum. Headers are just not worth the time it take to install for the minimal gain you get. The OEM headers flow just fine.
I have ridden 3k on my Test pipes now with z1's extension bungs with no issues.
Your car will run lean with test pipes. Mine will hopefully be tuned within the next month or 2. So i can safely say you will be fine for a couple months. Just don't beat on the car.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM
AndyBGAWTSuhZ

If you have a revup (rare on 05' models but redline will be 7k) get the motordyne 5/16" spacer and mrev2 in order to acheive gains with the intake manifold. If your redline is 6.6k you have the regular DE engine and a 5/16" plenum spacer (or whichever spacer you choose) will be fine.

Driving on the mods you listed will be perfectly fine but not optimized! After each breather mod (intake/exhaust) do an "idle air volume relearn" (google it) in order for your motor to reprogram itself with the new added air being pushed through.

As far as headers DC sports and its replicas are all good/cheap shorties (Megan & Topspeed) that will give you good power throughout the entire rpm range plus the added bonus of a throatier exhaust note. I would suggest you get the headers ceramic or jet hot coated as your engine bay will become much more hot (can not use oem header heat shields) but it is not necessary. If you're willing to shell out the cash Z1 (Tomei & Momentum also) makes the best shorty header! *Note that headers are a very tedious/long and expensive install that many would advise against due to labor costs.

The JWT clutch/fw combo with all the added goodies is definitely the best kit hands down for our cars! Plus the price is hard to beat

Hope this helps and happy modding!

EDIT: Sounds like you need to do some more reading man lmao. Headers and the plenum spacer do not effect each other physically at all! Idk what the heck you're thinking??? Headers are the first component of your exhaust that bolt directly to the motor (lower part of engine on the exterior). The plenum spacer sits underneath the top portion of your intake manifold (our intake manifold is called a plenum because it is split in half consisting of a upper and lower half. Upper half holds the air volume, lower half are the runners of which direct the flow of air into the motor). You will not throw a CEL with Berk HFC because it is still catted. It would only throw a CEL if you didn't retain a catalytic converter such as test pipes or long tubes.

Not to sound like a butthole man but please do yourself a favor and gain some more knowledge. Once you start throwing $$$ into modding you're in a-whole-nother world....

Last edited by AndyBGAWTSuhZ; 06-04-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
EntropZ

Sorry to let you down, but I've done as much reading as possible. I'm on overload. Nobody in my family has the "car bug" like I do. I'm young and I have tried my best to learn, but the compatibility of a 5/16'' spacer and long tube/short tube headers is a bit esoteric.

I do have a 35th Anniversary, but as far as I know the only thing different about it is the full upgrade pckg, and the rims. I do not believe I have an HR, as my redline starts @ 6600 RPM. I am not going to do tons of mods to my car-- its going to stay N/A, and if I ever get the turbo itch or the desire to FI I will look into some evos. And the Berk HFC are known to give CEL because they trip the O2 sensor. That's why they sell those ridiculously priced brass nuts that cool down the sensors.

No need to get worked up over someone asking a question. If it makes you that angry that I lack knowledge, you don't have to post at all. Thanks for your opinion though.

Last edited by EntropZ; 06-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM
power2rice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

short answers work best for here:

non HR engines dont gain much power with breather mods. i have done all the mods, and i can tell you which ones work and do not. for de, the only mods that you truly do feel is the plenum spacer, and the high flow cats. none of the other mods you could feel, only can hear it.

hr engine, take very well to intake and exhaust flow mods do to the dual intake manifold, higher rev limit, and the different camshafts that flow the exhaust port more.

my personal suggestion, if you do not have HR engine, save your $ and go supercharger. i dont suggest turbo because these engines dont last long after 7-9 lbs boost long term aggressive driving. they do last just find 5-6 lbs though.

HR engine, enjoy the bolt ons, you wont be as fast as force induction but its high rev brings it close enough for the daily enthusiast.

uprev osiris tunes:
many tuners will give you the option to disable the cat o2 or disable the obd2 system completely with the osiris so you'll never see check engine lights.

the cost of bolt ons, labor, plus tune.. puts you at same cost as buying a used s/c kit, but you'll never be as fast.