Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Stand Alone ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:51 PM
apsilon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mazzoo
Do you or anyone know if the Haltech or Motech with with drive by wire?
I've seen two installs using the Motec M800 now so I know it can work. Not cheap though.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gq - I should ahve specificed on the harness, yes.

AFAIK Haltech does not.....the Motec M800 does, but between purchase and install/tuning costs, it's a very expensive proposition

For me, we are currently building up a set of heads,and once completed, will select a set of headers to go along with them. We'll also upgrade the fuel pump, and then I plan on using the EManage to tune with for the time being. Once Electromotive has their DBW black box out, I might jump into a TEC3, though to be honest, I think my other Z deserves it more than the 350 does

Adam
Old 07-05-2004, 06:37 PM
BlackTuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
Hey Z1...I thought I already corrected this misconception.

The eManage DOES have drivers for injectors and ignition. Yes, it is still dependent on the signal the ECU delivers it, but it adds fuel by adding injector pulse width; not be adjusting a MAF signal. and retards timing by delaying, and then redelivering the ignition signal. The eManage is not like an AFC...much more powerful and tunable. There are several examples of super hi horse-power cars running an eManage and stock ECU. It's more tunable and reliable that most people would think. And today....and only today....I have one for $99.....kidding.

The only MAF adjustment that happens is a small across the board adjustment to scale the larger injectors. It use a MAF adjustment to REDUCE fuel...not add it. This lets the car start, idle, and cruise at stoich. But the real fuel enrichment is done via increase IPW.

So in summary, the eManage ADDS FUEL by adding injector pulse width, and REDUCES FUEL (scales bigger injectors) by making a MAF voltage adjustment.

Of course, adding IPW requires the Greddy injector harness, which is included in the Greddy TT kit, but not a basic eManage package. If you dont have that harness, then yes, you'd have to resort to MAF manipulations to enrich fuel as well.....that would be lame...since the harness is only $80.

Second, from everyone I have spoken to, most tuners really enjoy working with the AEM, and given that it totally user laptop tunable, I really like the concept. If AEM launches it, I will be the first in line to buy it.
The emanage still relies on the stock ecu's injectors pulse width right? So the change you make is still an offset .

Timing as well is manipulated by delaying the crank signal from what the stock ecu has targeted. ECU's have a very Dynamic igntion timing alogrithm especially on the VQ engines. 10 Degrees on one condition will not be 10 degrees in another condition with ecu's highly adaptive learning.

Absolute Ignition timing and Fixed fuelling is the way to go on a High Compression motor. It really Sucks not to be in control.

Last edited by BlackTuner; 07-05-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly...that's what I specified in my post. You are still reliant on the signal the ECU delivers to the eManage, but my point is that fuel enrichement is handled by adding IPW, not by MAF signal adjustment. Until a standalone becomes readilyl and easily availble, you just have to tune the eManage conservatively, to give a greater margin for error.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:02 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the HKS FCON V Pro is much more powerful then I thought it would be when I purchased it.

I plan on working on getting it running in the car a little later this week. Hopefully will get it down right... I need to get this car tuned well on the FCON so it can use the map to break in the new motor when it goes in soon.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phunk, does the FCON work with drive by wire throttle or do you have to switch to a cable style throttle. If you have to switch, does it come with the cables and adaptor and stuff needed to make it all work?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the FCON lets the stock ECU control the fly by wire since it does not have the ability to control it itself. The FCON bypasses the stock ECU and takes control of the fuel injection and the ignition system, with 100% total control. It ignores the stock ECU completely, and fools the stock ECU to beleive that its still running the motor so that you dont get a check engine light... and I have to test before I promise, but I cannot imagine why the OBD2 port will not be totaly functional so that the car passes plug in emissions testing.