Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Do i need a TS ECU REFLASH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 PM
mlemieux137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a TS ECU REFLASH?

I have injen intake, borla td, and Kentix test pipes w/resonators. My next mod is going to be a crawford plenum. From reading around i've seen some get the reflash once the plenum is installed. others dont, and some say its their next mod. I know the chip is suppost to prevent a lean condition. So what does it boil down to?

1) can u wait to get the reflash after u install the plenum, or do u need it right away?

2) do u need the reflash at all?

3) is a dyno the only way that i can get my a/f ratio checked...and is there anyother CHEAP way to correct it other than a reflash or e-manage system.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 AM
AceJ587

This car doesnt NEED anything. the question is "Do you WANT it". It will make a hell of a difference, and the best time to get it would be after you finish with the bolt-ons.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:20 AM
lowrider

You want to get it after the plenum. TS has a Crawford Flash that was jointly developed by Techno Square and Crawford. This sounds like it would be just the thing for the mods that you now have along with the plenum. I just got that Crawford reflashed unit from TS the day before yesterday. I haven't fully exercised it yet, but from what I see there is definitely more pull above 3K, and having the red line above 7K is a big plus for me. I have a 6MT, and with the stock ECU, I kept running into the redline.

Lou
Old 07-29-2004, 04:26 AM
Steel Heals

Does anyone know when the reflash for the '04 will be available?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:33 AM
AceJ587

Everytime I call TS, (Ive called them 3 times over 5 weeks)..they say the same ****ing thing. "should be out within a month or so"
Old 07-29-2004, 12:25 PM
AceJ587

Originally posted by AceJ587
Everytime I call TS, (Ive called them 3 times over 5 weeks)..they say the same ****ing thing. "should be out within a month or so"
scratch that..UPDATE: I just called and NOW they say: "We have no idea when it will be available".
Old 07-29-2004, 01:53 PM
bwzabodyn

no need for a reflash - I have all the mods and my signature and a perfect 12.5:1 A/F ratio at redline.... the reflash would help me w/ low-end power, peak power (raised rev limiter - I'm making power all the way up to redline), and the throttle-body opening 100%, but I don't NEED it... I'm still on the fence on when I'm going to go F/I - if it's anytime soon, then I'll hold off until then - if it's going to be longer than a year, than I'm going to go ahead and get it and be happy with the increased rev-limiter until then...
Old 07-29-2004, 05:34 PM
myz8a4re

how much is the reflash cost? like $500 or so right? i too have almost all the usual bolt on mods & my car runs great. i acnt justify spending $500 for a couple more hp & extended rev limiter. ive been shifting right at 6200 & the car feels perfect there. can anyone talk me into the reflash? why? how much will i gain? sell me, please! hehe......

thanx,
-justin
Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
bwzabodyn

I think I could make probably 7-8 more peak hp w/ the reflash since my chart was climbing all the way past 6600 rpms... I think the remapping of the a/f ratio would really help the low end as well, since it feels like I lost power there (but gained it up top - trade-off)... yeah, it's hard to talk me into it as well, not b/c of the price, but rather the down time.... I just can't be without my G for that long... but if I was getting F/I put on it anyways, that would be a different story
Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They raised the rev limiter up to 7400 for me, but as cool as it sounds bouncing my car off the rev limiter, it's peak HP/TQ on the dyno is 6600 rpm. Anything past that is just for effect.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:41 AM
AceJ587

TS said themselves, the increased red line isnt primarily for More power, it's to pretty much eliminate the Risk of hitting the Rev limiter.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:27 PM
myz8a4re

where are you guys shifting? is it my mods that makes it feel as though it just isnt making hp past 6200rpms? doesnt feel like it ramps off but doesnt feel like its still climbing either......should i be shifting at 6500 instead? just curious.........

-justin
Old 08-02-2004, 03:43 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Do i need a TS ECU REFLASH?

Originally posted by mlemieux137
1) can u wait to get the reflash after u install the plenum, or do u need it right away?
Don't do it until you are done modding your car

2) do u need the reflash at all?
Need = no. But it's nice to have

3) is a dyno the only way that i can get my a/f ratio checked...and is there anyother CHEAP way to correct it other than a reflash or e-manage system.
You can find out your A/F the easiest on a dyno, however keep in mind that the muffler enema that they use will not be 100% accurate beacause the exhaust is being filtered through the cats, the stock resonator, and the muffler so it can be off by as much as .8
You can buy your own A/F gauge, but you are looking at more than the price of the TS flash just for the gauge. Also, unless you have test pipes or high-flow cats, there isn't really any convenient location to have the bung welded in.

There is a CHEAPER way to adjust your A/F.
Get a GReddy eManage unit and you can adjust it yourself using a laptop, but you will still need to know your A/F ratios so you are once again stuck with either lots of dyno time, or fork out the chunk-o-cash for an A/F gauge. If you don't have a laptop, then it really wouldn't be cost effective to go that route. Also, the eManage cannot change all the other things that the TS flash will (i.e. reve limiter raised, 100% throttle fix, etc.)

my 2 cents.

-Chris
Old 08-02-2004, 04:10 PM
myz8a4re

can somone elaborate on the "throttle fix" that the TS reflash offers? actually if you wouldnt mind explaining all that the TS reflash offers i would appreciate it. i know my lazy butt can do a search & if your not in the mood to explain ill certainly do that......
thanx,

-justin
Old 08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by myz8a4re
can somone elaborate on the "throttle fix" that the TS reflash offers? actually if you wouldnt mind explaining all that the TS reflash offers i would appreciate it. i know my lazy butt can do a search & if your not in the mood to explain ill certainly do that......
thanx,

-justin

Here are a list of the features taken from the TS website:

FEATURES:

REV limiter modification
A 7100 RPM (stock 6600 RPM) rev limit is set to take advantage of top end horsepower.
The stock rev limit was set way too low. Some of you may be having the problem of hitting the fuel cut at hard acceleration. We found this very annoying as we increased power at the higher rpm range. Hitting the rev limiter too often, could actually damage the engine since it is achieved by cutting fuel. By adding an extra 500 rpm, we can avoid hitting the rev limiter while protecting the motor.

Speed Limiter Removal
The speed limiter is removed. The stock limiter was set at 250Km/h (156 MPH), so for all practical purposes, we could have left it alone. But we decided to remove it, just in case someone feels the need to go beyond that.

Ignition Timing Map Adjusted
There wasn’t much room for improvement at the bottom end since the ECU retards a lot of timing by using a feed back system in stock trim. So, we have added more timing at the higher end to take additional advantage of higher-octane gasoline. This aids in improving torque from 3000 rpm and up.

Fuel Map Adjusted
Stock fuel was set to detune the top end horsepower. We discovered that the car runs extremely rich after 5000 rpm. Air to Fuel ratio (A/F) of 10.5 was found right before the stock rev limiter kicks in. Cleary, Nissan was trying to detune the power output at higher rpm to discourage the driver from hitting the rev limiter. For the performance enthusiasts, however, this is unsatisfactory, so we set the A/F to 12.5 all the way to redline to provide adequate power gain while still maintaining a safe margin.

Adding to above modifications, a few other adjustments were made to other maps to enhance the feedback function which improves power, torque and drivability. The resulting achievement is a remarkable improvement in driving feel, which is more than what numbers alone can tell you. We are very satisfied with the results and are proud to release our TECHNOS ECU for this tuning-challenged ECU, blowing the lid off what was thought to be an automobile already running pretty near its maximum capability.

Changed air intake system
One of the major problems on this car was a feedback system that compensates for modifications. The oxygen sensors detects fuel mixture and will tell the ECU to richen up or lean out the mixture. This correction factor was way too wide, so some performance components upgrades (intake, exhaust) would actually result in a loss of HP below stock!
We adjusted the correction factor to reduce that compensation reaction. Our tests showed consistent power and torque improvement following installation of an intake system.
We will be conducting additional testing on various intake and exhaust systems for the compatibility of our ECU. Although we anticipate a dramatic improvement per component upgrades, some may require custom tuning to take full advantage of their performance.

I didn't see anything mentioned on the 350Z info page about the throttle fix, but I found this under the Nissan Maxima and it sounds like it might be it:

Drive By Wire Adjustment
Throught our testing we found, the drive by wire system was program to never fully open (throttle flap) when you smash the accelerator pedal. In fact, it actually closes the closer you get to the rev limiter, by as much as 20%. This restricts air into the motor and causes HP and Torque numbers to go down. We have remapped this setup so when you go wide open throttle, the throttle flap fully opens and STAYS OPEN, increasing HP and Torque.

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 08-02-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 PM
myz8a4re

chris i appreciate the info......gives a whole new look on the TS flash, lol! i may call them just to see what i can expect with the reflash with my current mods.............thanx again,
-justin