Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

2004 ECU updates..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
wick3d350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twisted Z II the name of your ride?....stop talking in the third person with it if you are...lol :-p
Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Mr Twisted

wick3d350Z
350Z OWNS J00

NC

Yes it is ,as you can see from my sig, I own two distinctly different show quality 350 Z's that the local guys all know. So when I'm talking about one or the other they all know which one I 'm talking about.

I'm Mr Twisted
Wifes Mrs Twisted
Wifes Chrome Silver 350z is the Twisted 1
and my Super Black is the Twisted II

Since your from NC you might know GQ 626 Sharif knows both cars intimently

Last edited by Mr Twisted; 11-29-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 PM
scz

Well, heres a quick walkthrough of my experiences with the 2004.5 ecu flash. I drove over to technosquare in between taking my car from the dealer getting it fixed, to the body shop (I got in a little accident a few weeks ago). I was over there for a couple hours while tadashi tweaked with my ecu trying to get the fuel just right. If I heard correctly, he informed me that it is tough to get the ecu to accept the new fuel adjustments while having no cats on the car. The main task of this new ecu being to adhere to emmissions laws, it tends to sense that the cats arent working from the front and rear sensors not reading the correct temp, therefore it continues to lean out the mixture in order to heat up the cats and get them working. He did all this tuning on a 350z track model ecu that he threw in my car while mine gets sent to japan to get looked at. Seeing as this is not only the first 2004.5 g35 coupe he has reflashed but the first car with race pipes, it was quite a task getting the correct amount of fuel to the engine. After a couple flybys in front of the shop, i am overall very satisfied with the new tuning. Not only do I feel a bit more power up top from the headers, but throttle responsiveness is absolutely 100% better. It almost seems like I gained a lot more torque because when I stomp on it at about 3k rpms, instead of hesitating to reach power, I immediately feel the engine spring to life and it definitely brings an ear to ear smile. I believe this butterfly problem was only for the g35's, so you 350z guys already got it good. On the final tune, tadashi said he gave me a lot more fuel and it mostly took care of the pinging I got from the extreme leanness before. I still hear a hint of pinging at top end, but thats nothing that a little more fuel can't take care of when I get my orig. ecu back.

Overall, I think this is an absolute must-do mod for those with headers and cat replacement pipes; and aside from getting your A/F back to normal, the butterfly mod is a huge plus.

Hopefully my car will be out of the bodyshop in time to get my g35 ecu back from japan.

Gurgen,
I saw your car with a big hunk of aluminum sitting next to it at their shop and all I can say is, you really know how to blow the shiit out of a motor!! Good luck on the rebuild and hope to see the car at a future meet.

Last edited by scz; 11-30-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HHAHA . LMAO!!!

I still haven't see those myself... soon, very soon
Old 12-03-2004, 08:48 AM
tommy81569

I spoke with a Techno Square rep again yesterday afternoon and they are looking for SoCal test subjects. I volunteered, but they already have a volunteer with a build date similar to mine. They are looking for a candidate with the 04.5 ECU to do their road test and then will be ready to open sales to the public just after the first of the year.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:59 PM
ZinMiami

I was reading the TS site and it states that F-Spec tune now requires a dyno sheet with accurate A/F readings. Without that they will only do L-Spec tune.

HAs that always worked that way? I thought the used to provide F-Spec without a dyno sheet.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stupid question. Where can I find my ECU to check which "04 version it is? Thanks ALL!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 03:05 PM
lowrider

jlimquest

Go here for instructions:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350ZECUremoval.htm

Lou
Old 12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
TECHNOSQUARE

For those with R4, R5 or all 04-05 computers that want a full-spec flash, we require a dyno with an a/f chart.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 PM
GODD

I know I'm asking for too much...

BUT

can you do a reflash also for the euro-spec Z's? They have the 04.5 ECU.......

thx
Toni
Old 12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2k4 ECU update..

http://www.technosquareinc.com/2004.htm

"Attention all 2004 350Z owners.

Finally! (yes, we know....) 2004 ECU FLASH is available!
At this moment, we can flash 2 types of ECU, R4 and R5.
You can find out what type of ECU you have by checking the label of the ECU. If your ECU label says R4 or R5, you can send your ECU to us.

Currently, we offer F-Spec Flash to the local customers and mail-in customers who can provide us a dyno result with accurate A/F reading. L-SPEC FLASH is available to all customers.

If you find your ECU with different Number on the sticker, please give us a call. "
Old 12-08-2004, 03:15 AM
ZinMiami

Originally posted by TECHNOSQUARE
For those with R4, R5 or all 04-05 computers that want a full-spec flash, we require a dyno with an a/f chart.
Is this going to be a permanant situation or just until you have more experience and archived a few maps using assorted mod levels?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question

How come some Z's with only breathing mods need the flash and others don't?

For example, one guy has stated on this forum (don't have the name but it's in his sig.) that after mods and he dynoed with an AFR of 12.5 needing no ecu tuning.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:51 PM
ZinMiami

Default Re: Question

Originally posted by 350Zenophile

For example, one guy has stated on this forum (don't have the name but it's in his sig.) that after mods and he dynoed with an AFR of 12.5 needing no ecu tuning.
Every car is a little different. Build tolerances, etc.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
scz

Default Re: Re: Question

Where your located also has a big impact on how much air your car takes in (altitude) and thus affects the A/F ratio.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
ZBoater

Default Re: Question

Originally posted by 350Zenophile

Maybe its because I'm just special...

Or maybe its because the 04.5 ECUs are more effective in monitoring and adjusting A/F ratios to the conditions caused by the mods.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:28 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by ZinMiami
Every car is a little different. Build tolerances, etc.
I'd guess that the Japanese build tolerances are actually precise and tight enough that there shouldn't be too much difference. If you take 100 350Z's and put them all in the exact same operating environment, I'd bet that they'd all run pretty similar. (With a few exceptions, of course, since it is possible to have "bad" cars every now and then that are out of spec.)

That would lead me to think that SCZ was on the money up above. Gasoline quality, octane, altitude, temperature, computer programming differences from year to year, etc, might have more of an effect.

However, I could be totally wrong. I suppose it's possible that Nissan's tolerances are so big that there could be significant differences. Ugh, I hope that's not it, though. What was I read a while back about Mercedes engines? Their tolerances are so incredibly tight that every engine that comes out of the factory is within just a few horsepower of the others. (On an engine dyno in a controlled environment.) Don't know if that's true, but it sure would be impressive.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
JRaptor2000

Has the 04 ECU Flash been released yet? Has AAM gotten ahold of it yet? We've been waiting forever.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:42 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ZBoater
Or maybe its because the 04.5 ECUs are more effective in monitoring and adjusting A/F ratios to the conditions caused by the mods.
I'm begining to suspect exactly that.

Zachcrosen lost some hp when he added some TopSpeed headers others have had success with. He quoted Brian from TechnoSquare as saying "The 2004 and 2005 ECUs are a bit more advanced than the 2003 as the computer reacts a lot faster to changes done to the car. They work quicker to emit less emissions so they pull timing a lot more drastically and they richen up the car if it's too lean."

His car is an early 04 - build date 07/03.

I'm also curious if you waited to install your mods after the break-in period. Charles at Zfever was telling me yesterday that he's noticed the 350Z ECU negates the performance gain of bolt ons if done before the break-in period is complete (1200 miles).
Old 12-10-2004, 06:02 AM
deviant1

350Zenophile: zachcrosen's car didn't lose power after the addition of headers. He gained ~6 HP and ~9 torque @ the peak, and gained a decent amount of torque across the board. See the dynoplots below.

An ECU reflash is a good idea once you start ading a bunch of NA bolt on mods. Having a proper tune will help the car make more power and run safer by keeping timing and AF in check.

Quick Reply: 2004 ECU updates..