Notices
Upcoming Events Upcoming 350z/370Z/G35/G37 Events

ZdayZ May 17-20, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

My first few visits to ZdayZ resulted in smoking brakes. (literally had smoke billowing from the rears when I stopped to let the whole car cool down)

The last straw was when I boiled the brake fluid at the end of a hard run from the state line to the lookout. I got into the car after letting it sit for a few minutes and the pedal went to the floor.

My tips for brakes on the Dragon:

1) Tighten the nut behind the wheel.
No matter how good (or bad) your braking system, it's up to you to operate within its limits, and yours. I know this is easier said than done, (as shown in the beginning of this post) but try to keep this in mind while you are having fun. Leave yourself a cushion. I try to brake early to allow room for less than optimal response from my brakes. (Don't extend the time you are using the brakes, just get your speed down sooner.) Not only does this help with safety, but I find it easier to heel-toe and drive smoothly when I'm not dive bombing into turns and braking "in anger" as when on a track.

2) High-temp brake fluid.
This was the weakest link in my stock, base-model brakes. I now run RBF 600 but there are other good high temp brands too. The high temp stuff tends to "hold" moisture worse than regular DOT3, so I try to flush the fluid at least once a year. (Usually twice)

3) Cool-down time.
The brakes use motion to "spin" heat away. Try to give them some time to cool off while driving before you park your car. (after a hard run)

4) High-temp pads
I run Hawk HP+ pads. I consider them "compromise" pads. I'm no expert on brake pads, but the HP+ have decent "bite" over a wide temp range and deal with heat better than average street pads. (reasonably affordable too)
There are better pads out there, but as an autocrosser, I seldom get brakes really hot. Road racers (like Bryan) have a lot of experience running brakes at the high end of their temp range and can give better-informed info on high-temp pads.

5) Big brake kits
Very limited experience with these. But I'm told that while they help, they too can get overheated on the dragon because of the short "cool off distance" between turns. (Just takes a little longer than smaller brakes) If they are in your budget, shop around, get advice, and go for it. Just don't let them give you a false sense of security. (See tip number 1.)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 12-24-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
LOL, one chance in hell is significantly higher chance of winning than no chance in hell
No luck with the raffle but 2 years ago my wife won some ARP studs as a door prize. They were worth over $400!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Merry Christmas Everyone
Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 AM
NFSP 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im in Robbinsville, NC till tuesday or wendsday so if any roads need to be checked out for course selection let me know, we are gonna do a bit of driving.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:08 AM
sig11

I hear this is a great time of the year to hit the dragon... fewer cars and cops all around. There is a nice, crazy steep road leading up to the dragon Phreak can probably direct you there.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 AM
NFSP 350

Yesterday we did a little road scouting and enjoyed a pretty good drive. It was a very bitter sweet drive because the roads were awesome but the vehical an old Suberban with 200,000 miles & 8 people in it wasnt plesant to throw around corners. Especially when half the car got sick an hour into what became a 5 hour drive. The drive should be a 6-7 hour course once we checkout a few more sections, depending on time spent stopping at waterfalls & for lunch. Tommarrow im taking a proper sports sedan to inspect a few more roads. Having a blast on these roads despite the lack of my Z! I cant wait to come back in MAY.

Side note our group this year should be very nice. The ones that say they are comming will include a : G35 sesdan, Z31, Z32, Z33 (me), Z34 and a MINI Cooper S (he will be rebadged Nissan though he doesnt know it yet).

Last edited by NFSP 350; 12-26-2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Because posting on phone causes misspellings
Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by NFSP 350
Yesterday we did a little road scouting and enjoyed a pretty good drive. It was a very bitter sweet drive because the roads were awesome but the vehical an old Suberban with 200,000 miles & 8 people in it wasnt plesant to throw around corners. Especially when half the car got sick an hour into what became a 5 hour drive. The drive should be a 6-7 hour course once we checkout a few more sections, depending on time spent stopping at waterfalls & for lunch. Tommarrow im taking a proper sports sedan to inspect a few more roads. Having a blast on these roads despite the lack of my Z! I cant wait to come back in MAY.

Side note our group this year should be very nice. The ones that say they are comming will include a : G35 sesdan, Z31, Z32, Z33 (me), Z34 and a MINI Cooper S (he will be rebadged Nissan though he doesnt know it yet).
keep good clear maps, and get them to me some how please.

Somehow I ended up with a mini S in my garage right now. Loaned the Titan to a friend to move. Going to find an autoX and wear his tires out for him

UNderstand the sick people comment, a few years ago a handful us went up there in a Mazda 5 MPV, rental car, and well I killed the tires, brakes, and the passengers didn't eat much that weekend.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 AM
NFSP 350

i will get you my map in january. will be making road notes and modifications first.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Lightning Guy

i will get you my map in january. will be making road notes and modifications first.
kool
Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Phreakdout

So im in Robbinsville, NC till tuesday or wendsday so if any roads need to be checked out for course selection let me know, we are gonna do a bit of driving.
Im on the other side of the mountain in Loudon, TN. (returning Wednesday). I ran the Dragon on Friday and it was empty. Soooo nice! This was on the parkway.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 12-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM
NFSP 350

Tommarrow if it doesnt rain im gonna take my wifes G8 on the Tail. Unfortunitly her tires are almost gone so its only going in the dry. Z looks good btw.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Tomorrow if it doesnt rain im gonna take my wifes G8 on the Tail. Unfortunitly her tires are almost gone so its only going in the dry. Z looks good btw.
Fixed Not trying to be a butt, but since you fugged it up twice, I thought I'd help you out.

Hey Bryan, are the cruise and the car show gonna be at the same time this year?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
nfsp g35

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM
NFSP 350

yeah. Home schooling for the win. My spelling sucks. Always has, always will. Posting from a phone never help that to improve either.

Brian what route is taken to go to the Shoot Out? Im trying to make driving routes for our club that do as little overlaping as possible.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Fixed Not trying to be a butt, but since you fugged it up twice, I thought I'd help you out.

Hey Bryan, are the cruise and the car show gonna be at the same time this year?

dunno yet, we are waiting for a few more sponsors to tell us what they want to do. I also have another twist for the car show next year, but I'll keep the suspense for a few more days.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Lightning Guy

yeah. Home schooling for the win. My spelling sucks. Always has, always will. Posting from a phone never help that to improve either.

Brian what route is taken to go to the Shoot Out? Im trying to make driving routes for our club that do as little overlaping as possible.
normally folks go out 28 South to 74 east to hendersonville to get to the shoot out
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
NFSP 350

So we just got in from running the tail. NC to Ten. at dusk & back in the dark. No cops and i only saw 4 cars round trip. Best of all I didnt get stuck behind anyone. Did see an extremely large boar eating something on the outside of a switch back. Got a good veiw in the headlights. Had a blast and I once again will say Im dying to bring the Z back. Especially sence I will have new super sticky tires.

BTW , does anyone know any promo codes for TireRack? They have a few that are specific to tire brands im not intrested in. Im buying set of Bridgestone Portenza RE-11 for my Z & Portenza RE-050A for my wifes G8. Its almost $3,000 to my door. Then I got to get them mounted.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM
RMichael

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
Merry Christmas Everyone
same to you. i wish i lived closer, sounds like a fun event.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Im on the other side of the mountain in Loudon, TN. (returning Wednesday). I ran the Dragon on Friday and it was empty. Soooo nice! This was on the parkway.
How sad is it that I recognize which pull over this was taken from?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by RMichael
same to you. i wish i lived closer, sounds like a fun event.
which part of the easy coast are you on?

Quick Reply: ZdayZ May 17-20, 2012