Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

I had a problem with my slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had a problem with my slave cylinder

well, at first i thought it was my mistake while launching the car, but i read and research the issue and it is the freaking slave cylinder. What happened is i burnt the clutch pretty bad, couple weeks ago, in second gear, i thought i was spinning the tires but when i shifted to 3rd it was not the tires so i let go, and pulled over to see what was goin' on. Last night, i launched the car over 4000 rpms and when i shifted to second the pedal stuck to the flor. I went to Nissan today, so they can inspect the issue, and after 20 min. they said it was perfect. no problems. One of the guys insisted to drive the car because he was supposedly the most experienced mechinc there, and was going to be able to determine the issue and probably substanciate my description of it. However, nothing, but this guy said the they have had abundant amount of people complaining about it, and said the NISMO is developing an aftermarket part. well, so far the clutch fells good. There is a pleasant scent of cluthcy smell, that gives me headache. A something else the nissan guy said that he heard that 08 does not have that problem.

Last edited by 350Zimo; 11-13-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you mean clutch slave cylinder????

Sorry I spelled it correctly, so you might not be able to read this
Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
350Zimo

yeah this is what i meant.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I don't see why NISMO is developing a part and not Nissan.

Those mechanics there were full of ****. There should be no burnt clutch smell.

But you weren't very specific... did they replace it? If so, what did they replace it with? Did they replace the clutch and flywheel? To me, it sounds like they were slipping bad, meaning (like what's happened already) clutch juice got on the contact surfaces.

Be more specific... what EXACTLY did Nissan do. It sounds like they just looked at it for 20 minutes and drove it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is just another case of o7 clutch problem, if you search, you'll find a LOT of posts about this.

typically NISSAN replaces the entire clutch to fix this, but as you already know they don't like to do it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 AM
bboypuertoroc

Sad part is, it's only a band-aid fix. There's been people that have the problems even after the "fix"... Nissan is slippin' on this one. The only reason they've been replacing the clutch (correct me if I'm wrong) is because clutch juice has been getting on the flywheel and clutch disc surfaces, causing it to slip and eventually ****ing them up.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
b-ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy, yesterday when driving home i was doing some spirited driving and when i went to reach for the clutch to shift into 3rd the clutch was compressed half way or more. so i put the car in nutral and pumped the clutch and put back into 3rd while driving. the smell of burnt clutch filled the car. went back to normal driving and the clutch seemed to be fine. am i experiencing the same prob. i have an 07 with 7100 miles on it
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
bbs350z

it happened to me under hard shifting at road race america. clutch pedal stuck to the floor. nissan wanted $711 to fix ($430 for dropping the tranny)

its only a $30 part.

your lucky, my pedal never came back until i fixed it
Old 11-14-2007, 01:50 PM
b-ron

damn!!!!!!! well im going to take it make to the dealer on friday
Old 11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
350Zimo

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I don't see why NISMO is developing a part and not Nissan.

Those mechanics there were full of ****. There should be no burnt clutch smell.

But you weren't very specific... did they replace it? If so, what did they replace it with? Did they replace the clutch and flywheel? To me, it sounds like they were slipping bad, meaning (like what's happened already) clutch juice got on the contact surfaces.

Be more specific... what EXACTLY did Nissan do. It sounds like they just looked at it for 20 minutes and drove it.
no, they did not replace anything, because you cannot tell that there is an issue with this clutch/slave cylinder "THING". i had a problem with the clutch first (couple weeks ago), and couple days ago was only the slave cylinder as it made the clutch pedal stick to the flor. Now, i have no problems, it shifts perfectly. The mechanic stated that NISMO is going to use this part on their NISMO edition, and the 08 shoudn't have this issue, because nissan itself improved it.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
bboypuertoroc

What you need to do is take one of the techs for a ride and duplicate the problem. If they didn't change anything, then you still hve the problem. They need to fix it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
350Zimo

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
What you need to do is take one of the techs for a ride and duplicate the problem. If they didn't change anything, then you still hve the problem. They need to fix it.
what do you mean duplicate the problem, What laucnh the car at 5000 rpms and wait for the issues to recur? as a matter of fact the car runs good so far. I have not had any problems as i said since than, but if it does it again i will raise i hell at nissan, and hopefully they will fix the f***** problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
capnstabn

That would be badass if they let us replace the clutch and flywheel with Nismo ones and keep the warranty.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
BADASSTT

So is this a problem with the clutch or the slave cylinder? I have an 07 but have yet to have any tranny problems. I have 1120 miles now but I cant say it wont happen to me later on down the line. You know I asked my dealer about this issue and of course they deny this and they also deny the 06 has oil consuption problems also.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Could this problem be related to the fact that Nissan installs a restrictor in the line that carries the hydraulic fluid?

It would seem to me that if you slow down the flow of a liquid, it would result in either the peddle not bouncing back quickly, or the pressure plate not pushing against the clutch disk enough.

See thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=dampner
Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
bboypuertoroc

I think that COULD be the issue, but he also had the leaking slave cylinder (maybe the backup caused by the restrictor caused this). We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. But that was an awesome idea they came up with to remove it. I removed the restrictor in my Evo and it feels MUCH better. Did previous Z's have that restrictor?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
bboypuertoroc

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
So is this a problem with the clutch or the slave cylinder? I have an 07 but have yet to have any tranny problems. I have 1120 miles now but I cant say it wont happen to me later on down the line. You know I asked my dealer about this issue and of course they deny this and they also deny the 06 has oil consuption problems also.
So far what it seems to be is the slave cylinder and/or the restrictor.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

blah, they replaced the Master Cyl. in mine, same problem. In fact it now makes this weird rattling from the drivetrain from 1k-3kish (probably makes the noise afterward but the engine noise + exhaust overshadow it). Taking it back probably next week.

Oh and they were unable to replicate the problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
bboypuertoroc

I would imagine if the master cylinder was the problem, and they replaced it with another '07 master cylinder, then the problem would still exist.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM
TNRZ

The problem is the master cylinder. My 07 is at Nissan now having a third master installed due to failure of the cylinder and thus inability to get the car into gear. The first failure was at approx 1500 miles and now this failure is at 4000 miles. Nissan has now advised me they now have a modified unit to correct the problem.

We'll see.

Quick Reply: I had a problem with my slave cylinder