Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Bumping timing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 AM
rkemp1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tourinz
https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/329662-post-here-your-dyno-slips-and-modifications.html

Here is the sheet... I know that in order to calculate what a dynojet # would be I have to add 15% to 294 which would bring me to 328...
Yeah I saw your thread with your dyno numbers already but when you get dynoed at least for DD and dynojet you get the options of different correction factors. depending on which one you use your numbers can vary quite a bit. and the adding 15% idea sounds a bit odd, unless of course that timing advance you did really makes that much of a difference. I'm not saying the numbers are wrong I'm just curious to know the correction factor. I was stoked when the dyno guys told me 292 then blown when I saw corrected numbers of only like 280 lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Mansmind

I think perhaps someone has it backwards. Mustangs will read higher than dynojets, not lower. Dyno Dynamics reads lower than the dynojet. I'm not sure on the Mustang/Dynoject percentages, but you will see about 10% lower numbers on a dyno dynamics vs. dyno jet.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM
tourinz

Originally Posted by Mansmind
I think perhaps someone has it backwards. Mustangs will read higher than dynojets, not lower. Dyno Dynamics reads lower than the dynojet. I'm not sure on the Mustang/Dynoject percentages, but you will see about 10% lower numbers on a dyno dynamics vs. dyno jet.
well this shop is pretty famous, and everyone from the Local club (SFZCC) has their cars dynoe'd there... every one has low numbers and I'm told by every single member that I can add 13-15% to that number to know what my Dynojet numbers are... I am going to research and find a dynojet in florida so I can compare the numbers,...as far as correction, it should be corrected as it has the weather module but not sure about SAE or STD... the raw figure was like 294, and 292 was the corrected number
Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 AM
rkemp1

well this shop is pretty famous, and everyone from the Local club (SFZCC) has their cars dynoe'd there... every one has low numbers and I'm told by every single member that I can add 13-15% to that number to know what my Dynojet numbers are... I am going to research and find a dynojet in florida so I can compare the numbers,...as far as correction, it should be corrected as it has the weather module but not sure about SAE or STD... the raw figure was like 294, and 292 was the corrected number
Oh i think I understand now. Raw numbers on dynos are uncorrected. To get a corrected number they have to add the appropriate CF. Its now changed really by weather from what I understand its just a different way to measure it. I think when you hit a dynojet you could probably expect anywhere from 280-285 SAE corrected.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
07-Zman
Banned

Mustang dyno's read lower numbers versus dynojets. That's incredible numbers there Dan! I'm coming to see you tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
tourinz

If you ask me RWHP/RWTQ isn't what matters anyway.. dynos just give you a baseline and provide your relative increase decrease in power as compared to that. Dynos are for tuning, not to support bench race arguments

But, here's Active Autowerke's claim about the differences between Mustang and Dynojet and why Mustang is better and reads lower.

From AA's website..

>
>
>
Mustang MD250 vs. Dynojet 248C

Dynojet 248C is actually an accelerometer whereby it uses a 3000-3200 pound drum that is used to create an inertia load on the vehicle being tested. The vehicle's horsepower (HP) and torque try to overcome the weight/inertia of the drum to accelerate it. As a result the software and electronics try to measure the horsepower and torque that the vehicle is developing to overcome the drum's weight and inertia. The resulting horsepower and torque will be higher than a true loading dyno because once the drum starts rolling not as much power is needed to keep it going. Example -- When pushing a car on a flat road, once the car starts moving not as much power (effort) is needed to keep it going. The software does not ask for vehicle weight or anything like horsepower needed to maintain 50 MPH (a number that is actually put out by E.P.A. and N.H.T.S.A.).

The Mustang MD250 dyno is a true loading dyno, because it uses an inertia weight as well as an eddy current motor that is attached to the rollers. This eddy current motor creates a drag on the shaft by way of electricity that causes a magnetic field to try and overcome the torque going through the roller shafts. This current is controlled by software that is always trying to simulate load as if the car is driving in real world conditions. The real benefit from the loading dyno is the ability to maintain a load that allows a tuner to properly go through a fuel map or ignition map and tune the chip for optimum horsepower and torque. It has the ability to also simulate the IM240 emissions test as required in some states. It can check 1/4 mile times as well as times for 0-60 MPH and 0-100 MPH. It can also be used for road testing and simulation for drivability problems. As a result of the loading capability, the dyno numbers from a mustang dyno will come out lower than the inertia (dynojet) dyno. Further information can be seen at www.mustangdyne.com

Last edited by tourinz; 01-21-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Mansmind

apologize.. brain fart here.. I had dyna pak in my mind
Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
rkemp1

the load based vs inertia based info sounds right. I didn't know Mustangs were load based, I wonder if they even need a correction factor if thats the case. I would imagine that dynojet's correction factors are to compensate for that lack of a load then??

Go hop on a dynojet so I know how to compare it to mine!!! If you dyno higher with a SAE correction factor then I need more info on that timing bump!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
capnstabn

Originally Posted by rkemp1
the load based vs inertia based info sounds right. I didn't know Mustangs were load based, I wonder if they even need a correction factor if thats the case. I would imagine that dynojet's correction factors are to compensate for that lack of a load then??

Go hop on a dynojet so I know how to compare it to mine!!! If you dyno higher with a SAE correction factor then I need more info on that timing bump!!!

+1 doooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeet
Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
PM-Performance

If you ask me RWHP/RWTQ isn't what matters anyway.. dynos just give you a baseline and provide your relative increase decrease in power as compared to that. Dynos are for tuning, not to support bench race arguments ]

Smartest response I have seen on this forum to date.
To most unintelligible people on here, dynos just give you bragging rights.
What dynos should be used for is to test between mods and tuning sessions to see how much power you picked up and where you picked it up at for testing purposes.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
capnstabn

Originally Posted by PM-Performance
Smartest response I have seen on this forum to date.
To most unintelligible people on here, dynos just give you bragging rights.
What dynos should be used for is to test between mods and tuning sessions to see how much power you picked up and where you picked it up at for testing purposes.

Well if he does a Dyno-Jet it would give us a ballpark of how much increasing the timing helped. Since the baseline for VQHRs is around 260-270. And tps/exhaust is getting people around 280-285 DJ SAE corrected we could give an educated guess at that point. I hope Tourinz Dyno Jet reading (if he chooses to do one) shows up way higher than the mustang since its such a cheap/noticable mod.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
tourinz

welll I have to find a dynojet in Soufla...
Old 01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by capnstabn
Well if he does a Dyno-Jet it would give us a ballpark of how much increasing the timing helped. Since the baseline for VQHRs is around 260-270. And tps/exhaust is getting people around 280-285 DJ SAE corrected we could give an educated guess at that point. I hope Tourinz Dyno Jet reading (if he chooses to do one) shows up way higher than the mustang since its such a cheap/noticable mod.
+1

Well played sir...well played.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynos, even the same ones made by the same manufacturer have margins of error. You take the same car and do 2 consecutive pulls, all things being equal, the readings will probably be different. Margins like 5hp are well within the margin of error of any dyno. It's basically flawed to try and prove a timing bump will yield 5 or 10 extra HP. It amazes me how hung up people get on the dyno numbers and the justifications that are posted to add extra 10% to the number to make someone feel better. Guys, let it go. Remember, temps, atmospheric pressure, humidity, etc. all effect your readings.

As far as timing bump, 1 or 2 degrees will be hard to notice even to the most sensitive butt dyno. That's not that much more power, really. Furthermore, be careful where you're adding more timing. Just blindly bumping it up seems foolish to me. You don't even know what your current profile looks like in respect to your octane. I would not attempt this without doing logging first and verifying first that you can safely do this.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Gooey

i mod and take the car to the track every friday. That is by far my best "dyno" to date. If something doesn't work well with the car, I take it off and start from scratch again.
When I put the x02 exhaust on the car, the car lost a lot of ooomph in the first 1/8 mile but picked up a lot in the last 1/8th. I sold it the following week and went another route.
When I put the Fast Intentions on, I picked up time and mph in the first 1/8th and last 1/8th.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM
PM-Performance

Anyone try to dyno this yet? My car is going to the dealer tommorow for the slave replacement. I was thinking of having them kill 2 birds with one stone if its worth it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would be worth it, but it is simply not possible for the HR... ( yet )
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Datona Jess

I had it done to my 06 with the Cipher program my buddy had.
I never really felt any major difference, or have any Dyno before or afters.
I say go for it, you have nothing to lose, and it is pretty cheap power.