Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

G37 engine vs. VQ35HR

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
g35sedan5at

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but by adding the vq37 heads we would have vvel which is superior to our heads. on top of that, if someone was to clean the 37 heads a little bit and do a small porting job then i can see 340hp range on our vq35hr with vq37hr heads. just my thoughts. dont know if it can be done.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:08 PM
warmmilk

why not just swap in the whole engine, i'm thinking it may come out to be cheaper and its more displacement. and incase nobody else noticed, the 37hr dynos only about 5 to 10 whp more than the 35hr, and a good part of that is coming from the bump in displacement, so the optimists hopes of getting a 30 hp bump, or even 15 (at the wheels) are unrealistic in my eyes. and the money u'd spend on all the parts and getting every thing to work, ur prolly spending enough money to get one of the tt kits coming out sometime in the near future, and a tt kit will yield u much more power
Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
g35sedan5at

i really dont think itll cost as much as you think. im under the impression that the 37hr heads are a direct bolt on considering the motors are identical except for vvel and displacement. but same motor at the root. so just pick up a pair of 37hr heads, and either find a way to manipulate the stock ECU to work with the vvel heads or get a standalone. both of those options would cost less than an entire vq35hr engine or TT kit.

now, since the g37 is new, not so many parts available, but give it time and you will see engines for sale on ebay and other places. i personally have no clue how much heads from nissan would cost. i know im being optimistic but its a posibility. vvel wont *** toooo much power just bolted on, but i do think it will respong better to mods.

so lets some frankestein motors!!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 PM
warmmilk

considering stock wheels are nearly 1k each at the dealer, heads are gonna a wee bit more than a pretty penny, especially with all the vvel hardware that they come with. i'm not gonna bother getting a quote cause i'm not intrested in doing this, but u can call the dealer and ask, i'd be surprised if they were under 2k each

and a quick search on ebay showed only one vq35 on there, and it was from a maxima, so seeing the hr for sale on ebay will be about as rare as seeing a current de (350z variant) for sale, and thats pretty rare

even if u come out to 3k for everything, which i can guarantee u it won't come out any cheaper, and i can pretty much guarantee u it will come out to be more, just throwing out a conservative number out there, in my mind its still not worth 5-10 hp, and then a couple more from some bolt ons over a regular vq35hr

but thats just me, if u wanna sacrifice ur time, money, blood, sweat, and tears for the good of the community, more power to u!!! i'm not trying to talk u out of this, just letting u know it won't be nearly as easy as u think (based on ur posts)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by 350Zimo
i've run a G37. it was an auto, and i could take it from a roll. however, on the high way, they are pretty close. the Z still has the edge, but at the end of the day the G has everything someone needs, and Z still makes you feel every pot hole, and you can hear the rattling of junk in the trunk . but hey, i would still take the Z over a G37, because simply the G37 is not a Z , and the feeling is different, that is what makes me love the Zed.
I'm trying to wonder why people are posting "past experiences" in races against the G37. That has nothing to do with a comparison between the VQ37VHR & VQ35HR. Obviously, there are many more objective factors to include in races that has nothing to do with the engine itself (in this case, weight). If they were to weigh exactly the same, then I guess that would be a relevant thing to state... but they don't weigh the same.

It would be interesting to see a complete dissection of the VQ37VHR & VQ35HR

Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by New JerZ
was thinking the same thing. Kinda like the LS VTec swaps on the integra. might be worth looking into. Might yield some nice NA gains.
The head on the B18 on the LS flow very poorly compared to the B16/B18 VTEC heads. VTEC also comes with the aggressive 3rd cam profile on the intake AND exhaust sides. VVEL has adjustable duration/lift on the intake side only. The exhaust cam would still require the conventional upgrade to "match" any aggressive cam profile on the intake side. One would also have to assume the 3.7 head flows MUCH better than the 3.5 head, which I don't know if it does or not, but I seriously doubt it flows that much more.

TK
Old 01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
g35sedan5at

i dont think its easy i just dont like thinking about all the little **** that would give u a migrane if one attempted this. if i was loaded i might try to just swap a 37hr into my car, machine the heads (porting job, cleaning up), port matching if they arent already and building it for n/a. but thats about as likely to happen as one of us wining the lotto. sooooo....yea
Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I'm trying to wonder why people are posting "past experiences" in races against the G37. That has nothing to do with a comparison between the VQ37VHR & VQ35HR. Obviously, there are many more objective factors to include in races that has nothing to do with the engine itself (in this case, weight). If they were to weigh exactly the same, then I guess that would be a relevant thing to state... but they don't weigh the same.

It would be interesting to see a complete dissection of the VQ37VHR & VQ35HR

yes, you are right. I did not realize that this was a comparison of the motors, not the cars.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Peak350

One of the biggest causes for the power difference is the longer runner length in the intake manifold on the 3.7 liter. There are manifolds in the works for both cars, but basically the displacement bump gives a big more low end torque so the car can be tuned to have more peak power and not sacrifice performance over the 3.5L.

The VVEL realistically only gives a 2-3% advantage over the standard valve train and throttle bodies. I'd rather have the throttle bodies because there are less moving parts to have fail, and the VVEL is still new.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
JOEGYVER

So is the electronic valve lift on the intake side "infinitely" adjustable up to the physical limitations, or is it a dual profile cam like toyota and honda? I understand variable valve timing, so no need for a newb to wiki it and explain...
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

you wont find the engineer whom designed it telling you either.

just think about how it would work
Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JOEGYVER
So is the electronic valve lift on the intake side "infinitely" adjustable up to the physical limitations, or is it a dual profile cam like toyota and honda? I understand variable valve timing, so no need for a newb to wiki it and explain...
Its a completely different design than a dual cam profile system like VTEC. The VQ37 doesn't have a 3rd cam profile, but rather a DC motor connected to a secondary cam thats attached by some assembly that allows for "infinitely" adjustable duration and lift. In theory with this setup, it shouldn't have a on/off feel like typical dual cam profile systems. The VQ37 only has this mechanism on the intake side, the exhaust side is still the same as on the 3.5HR motor.

TK
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 AM
brs2c

Once there is a way to control this intake system while tuning should be AMAZING when paired with say a 282 cam...You could keep the intake side's duration as close to stock as possible for daily driving, and then open it up to 282 when you are wide open at the high rpms!