Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

aam test pipes finally install write up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
robertsowka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aam test pipes finally install write up

well just like everyone said, that top bolt was a SOB!!! taking all the stock stuff off took about 4 times longer than putting the test pipes on.... WOW, anyways i will be going to texas motorplex on saturday so hopefully i will have vids and finally some times

i noticed that the only rasp is only from about 2500 - 3250 rpms once the engine warms up it only seems to be at 2500 rpms only for an instant... other than that sounds completely stock when driving nicely, but when you get on it it just GROWLS and at wot in higher gears at lower rpms before you know it you are hauling ***!

on a bad note i got a CEL almost within less than 5 miles i think, the cel fix doesnt work. i never realized that there is only a small hole in the actual exhaust tube at the bottom of that j-tube. i will stuff some steel wool in there and see if that fixes it, i read somewhere here that some people were doing that and it was fixing it...

and as for smell... unless you rev it up then quick put it in neutral and then run back and sniff the exhaust then i dont notice any smell unless the wind blows the exhaust into your window or something, but if there is even the slightest breeze then dont worry about the smell

and when taking the O2 sensors out do that VERY FIRST and then tuck them up somewhere, i did it this way because i heard of people ruining their O2 sensors because they took their stock cats off THEN took the O2 sensors out.

i have the stock exhaust on and it sounds very good, if anyone is thinkin about gettin some i would recommend it (as of now haha, i will tell you once i get back from the track )

(side note - harbor freight has the obd-II readers i was going to get one so i could just fix my cel problem whenever i want, after i try fixing the light with steel wool)

Last edited by robertsowka; 02-06-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cool! Added 10whp horsepower for you right there.

Just wondering, did you notice a drop in mpg? I've read somewhere that test pipes decrease mpg...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
toples z

nice
Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
WyattH

Awesome! Can't wait for video/clip.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
rkemp1

How much does harbor freight charge for the obdII scanner and is it an orange actron scanner or something else?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
robertsowka

actually i noticed an INCREASE in mpg... before on the highway i would reset it and then drive about 20 miles to my exit and it would only be about 25-26 mpg, today i tested it and it was between 29.5 and 30 mph going about 70-75 mph (no cruise control on my base) in town i noticed a 2-3 mpg increase as well.

harbor freight had them on sale a week or two ago they had three different ones, $49.99 $69.99 and $89.99 (obviously depending on which one you get the features are different but they all read the code and clear it)

another thing i forgot to mention in the write up above... WEIGHT SAVINGS!!!

for all of you who count those last ounces, WOW i think the stock cats weigh around 50 lbs total (give or take) and the total shipping weight of the test pipes was 11 lbs i think, so huge weight savings

it seems like i have a whole new car, i love these test pipes! the sudden increase in power scares me a little bit i need to get used to it haha but all in all i am VERY happy with the test pipes

Last edited by robertsowka; 02-07-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 AM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by robertsowka
actually i noticed an INCREASE in mpg... before on the highway i would reset it and then drive about 20 miles to my exit and it would only be about 25-26 mpg, today i tested it and it was between 29.5 and 30 mph going about 70-75 mph (no cruise control on my base) in town i noticed a 2-3 mpg increase as well.

harbor freight had them on sale a week or two ago they had three different ones, $49.99 $69.99 and $89.99 (obviously depending on which one you get the features are different but they all read the code and clear it)

another thing i forgot to mention in the write up above... WEIGHT SAVINGS!!!

for all of you who count those last ounces, WOW i think the stock cats weigh around 50 lbs total (give or take) and the total shipping weight of the test pipes was 11 lbs i think, so huge weight savings

it seems like i have a whole new car, i love these test pipes! the sudden increase in power scares me a little bit i need to get used to it haha but all in all i am VERY happy with the test pipes
Nice, I may just go buy one. The advance auto around the corner from me where I used to work doesnt have one anymore so that light has been annoying me.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
But the OP said that the CEL came on after about 5 miles.

So if you did buy the OBDII scanner and cleared the CEL, it would just reappear after only 5 miles.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

sorry this is funny
i love these test pipes! the sudden increase in power scares me a little bit
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
robertsowka

it does! im not used to it, it feels way different, when i punch it in second gear at 3k rpms the back end breaks loose
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
CELTIC Z

Default test pipes

Originally Posted by idwin
sorry this is funny
i love these test pipes! the sudden increase in power scares me a little bit
Idwin, you f...ing idiot....he probably has an automatic just like me and when we buy pipes or poop chargers we can really feel a diffrence...oh by the way, I know you are from Arkansas because you can't even spell it right.....
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by longhorn44
Idwin, you f...ing idiot....he probably has an automatic just like me and when we buy pipes or poop chargers we can really feel a diffrence...oh by the way, I know you are from Arkansas because you can't even spell it right.....
LMAO at poop chargers!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
sbZenth

awesome. congrats. any vid or sounds?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM
capnstabn

Originally Posted by rkemp1
How much does harbor freight charge for the obdII scanner and is it an orange actron scanner or something else?
My odbII scanner was like 50 bucks shipped. Freakin light comes on every time I drive so I just leave the little bastard plugged in and tucked under the floor matt. Takes about 1 minute to clear the light.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
thanh27

Any smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Does the light really bother you guys that much?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by longhorn44

Im the idiot? who's the one w/the automatic
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
robertsowka

Originally Posted by capnstabn
My odbII scanner was like 50 bucks shipped. Freakin light comes on every time I drive so I just leave the little bastard plugged in and tucked under the floor matt. Takes about 1 minute to clear the light.
what do you have? tp's or hfc's? and what manufacturer? i know someone that had aam test pipes stuffed steel wool down the j tube and stuffed it till it was overflowing i guess and he said it worked... im going to try that since steel wool is cheaper than an obd II reader, and if the steel wool doesnt work i am going to just buy the obd II reader
Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by capnstabn
damn really normally i would get thru about a full tank of gas before it popped on. Do you have AAM test pipes?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
sbZenth

i attempted the install today... gave up because it was already getting late after i got off of work... im gonna put them in tomorrow. i was taking it slow with the sensors because i didnt wanna ruin them... and damn that top bolt is a PITA to reach!