VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

2007 1st Gear Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
SuPERSak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1st Gear Noise

Hey,

I have an 07 and everytime I am in first gear and drive until 2 1/2 rpm then let go of the gas and let it roll for a sec or two.....When you step on the clutch does it make a clunking noise? Like from the tranny? I got the recall done and the whole tranny replace already. Tell me that this is not normal.....???

Last edited by SuPERSak; 06-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
350ZPK

I dont get a POP noise...but when im in 1st and i let go off the gas..i get this whine all the way till i push the clutch in
Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 PM
SuPERSak

Yeah I get a whine noise too but my tranny make like a loud pop noise. It feels like the tranny about to drop
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Mine makes a similar noise (assuming I'm picturing your description correctly), although I'd describe my tranny noise as more of a clunk than a pop. Usually it's worse when it's cold and the car isn't warmed up. Thats just the sound you can expect from our clumsy tranny when you disengage the clutch at a high engine speed. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 AM
SuPERSak

It just feel soo wrong to hear a tranny do that. I use to have an RSX and it never gave me any problem and I had it til it was 130K miles on it.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Gizmo0803

i have the same problem...i've heard it's a normal thing for our cars...but you learn to drive without having to deal with that...just don't stay in first too long without having the gas on it before you change gears
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM
blazed54

i only hear the clunk when i first start driving. after a minute or two the clunking sound disappears completely.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Ridge Rider

it's normal, we all have loud clutches. My 07 whines in 1st and clunks same as yours. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
SuPERSak

Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
07_350z_JP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys unless you drive a semi- it shouldnt sound like one. Ill copy and paste what Ive been though with my 07 tranny recently. Hope it helps-dont give up.

1-29-08
Originally Posted by OmGIsHSaK
Yeah... They replace my slave cyclender and pilot bushing too.. but Mine have a growling noise coming from the tranny... probablly due to the recall. but luckly they replace the whole tranny with a new one.. and I just got the car back and it is GREAT....
Me-what were your cars symptoms and what did they replace? Most Importantly WHICH dealer. Im in San Antonio as well and have complained about the whining/growling noise in idle and the whining noise in 1st/2nd for the longest time.Each time classified as normal same with stuck pedal.

5-19-08
Me-local jax dealer ordered parts today- appt about a week away. I mentioned that my clutch seems to be slipping at WOT and I still have an annoying whine in 1st gear. They didnt test drive as appt isnt for another week but mentioned that if clutch is out thats a non covered wear item. WTF car is barely a year old- Ive gotten 20k miles obviously 70-80% highway miles and clutch is on its way out! Every BMW I have ever owned 10+ - I always get 100k+ miles out of stock clutches. Even on my boosted e30 on light boost 8 psi 240whp vs stock 155whp I got 30k miles on a already used stock clutch with countless track runs before I finally upgraded.

I cant believe nissan parts are that cheaply made.BTW Ive been complaining of the tranny noise since second week of ownership and keep being told its normal to sound like a semi in 1st gear

While I doubt it I hope all these issues go away while doing slave install--- all under warranty.

5-31-08 Update: Me-Got my car back just a while ago. They replaced slave cylinder and it SEEMS as if the slipping clutch feeling is gone.They confirmed clutch still had plenty of life left.Most importantly they recognized that my transmission noise is not normal in first gear.They couldnt shift it with ease into 2nd during spirited driving or really low speeds. its like if something is "stuck" or it has an artificial gate feeling.Im glad someone finally listened to me and they are replacing the tranny next week.Thats the good news. The bad news is that during these 2 days in the shop I strolled over to test drive a used 2007.5 corvette and I havnt stopped thinking about it.Think Im gonna take the plunge in spring 09 and get a new vette instead of the next Z.

6-9-08 Newest update! Me-I got my tansmission and clutch assembly replaced today.All the issues are gone! I can finally shift into second and all gears with ease. Tranny noises are gone-new tranny duh.I now enjoy spirited driving again! time to hit the track again.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Dozzi94

You just listed a whole bunch of issues he doesn't have.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by SuPERSak
Hey,

I have an 07 and everytime I am in first gear and drive until 2 1/2 rpm then let go of the gas and let it roll for a sec or two.....When you step on the clutch does it make a clunking noise? Like from the tranny? I got the recall done and the whole tranny replace already. Tell me that this is not normal.....???
i have noticed that every once in a blue moon. doesn't seem to hurt the car...........for now. only heard it maybe 3 times, but i know the sound you mean.

jim
Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM
SuPERSak

Originally Posted by 07_350z_JP
Sorry guys unless you drive a semi- it shouldnt sound like one. Ill copy and paste what Ive been though with my 07 tranny recently. Hope it helps-dont give up.

1-29-08

Me-what were your cars symptoms and what did they replace? Most Importantly WHICH dealer. Im in San Antonio as well and have complained about the whining/growling noise in idle and the whining noise in 1st/2nd for the longest time.Each time classified as normal same with stuck pedal.

5-19-08
Me-local jax dealer ordered parts today- appt about a week away. I mentioned that my clutch seems to be slipping at WOT and I still have an annoying whine in 1st gear. They didnt test drive as appt isnt for another week but mentioned that if clutch is out thats a non covered wear item. WTF car is barely a year old- Ive gotten 20k miles obviously 70-80% highway miles and clutch is on its way out! Every BMW I have ever owned 10+ - I always get 100k+ miles out of stock clutches. Even on my boosted e30 on light boost 8 psi 240whp vs stock 155whp I got 30k miles on a already used stock clutch with countless track runs before I finally upgraded.

I cant believe nissan parts are that cheaply made.BTW Ive been complaining of the tranny noise since second week of ownership and keep being told its normal to sound like a semi in 1st gear

While I doubt it I hope all these issues go away while doing slave install--- all under warranty.

5-31-08 Update: Me-Got my car back just a while ago. They replaced slave cylinder and it SEEMS as if the slipping clutch feeling is gone.They confirmed clutch still had plenty of life left.Most importantly they recognized that my transmission noise is not normal in first gear.They couldnt shift it with ease into 2nd during spirited driving or really low speeds. its like if something is "stuck" or it has an artificial gate feeling.Im glad someone finally listened to me and they are replacing the tranny next week.Thats the good news. The bad news is that during these 2 days in the shop I strolled over to test drive a used 2007.5 corvette and I havnt stopped thinking about it.Think Im gonna take the plunge in spring 09 and get a new vette instead of the next Z.

6-9-08 Newest update! Me-I got my tansmission and clutch assembly replaced today.All the issues are gone! I can finally shift into second and all gears with ease. Tranny noises are gone-new tranny duh.I now enjoy spirited driving again! time to hit the track again.
I got the whole tranny replace and it was good but then a couple of months later my clutch seem to engage higher and while in first gear it always make a clunk noise when the clutch is depress when your off the gas
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 PM
enlite

I just did a search for clutch noise, and found this thread. The tranny in first gear & sometimes second sounds clunky. ~~ 05 Base with 16,000 miles. If I am in 1st or 2nd, let off the gas, depress the clutch, I hear some clunking.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It clunks. When you are at a stop light turn down the radio release the clutch and sit there for a sec. Press the clutch and gear it. The Z will clunk. It has since 03.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:39 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I got the recall done and the whole tranny replace already.
Are you mistaken? The recall work does not replace the entire transmission. It replaces the clutch fluid and replaces the slave cylinder.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM
SuPERSak

Anwser to all this, dealer told me that it clunks when riding in 1st and then drepressing the clutch becuase of the preasure the clutch put on the gear and when you depress it, it will make that noise but it's ok....
Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM
mcarlomagno

yeah the clunking sound is typical of our cars.

the whine is coming from the engine, and i absolutely love the sound of it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
KGsZ

Anwser to all this, dealer told me that it clunks when riding in 1st and then drepressing the clutch becuase of the preasure the clutch put on the gear and when you depress it, it will make that noise but it's ok....
I have an 08 and from day one its been making that clunk sound. I thought it was normal. I get that whining sound too. i guess since alot of us have it maybe its normal?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
SuPERSak

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
Are you mistaken? The recall work does not replace the entire transmission. It replaces the clutch fluid and replaces the slave cylinder.
I'm not mistaken...... I got the recall done... and it was still making the noise so Nissan REPLACE my whole tranny and FIX

And yes the whinning noise is normal and the clunking noise is too.. Don't worry guys.... It clunks cuzz all the preasure is on the gear and when you depress the clutch it will clunk

Quick Reply: 2007 1st Gear Noise