Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Any HR engine builds yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any HR engine builds yet?

Well Any?....My Z will be worked on sometime next year (engine build and turbo) when I have saved enough. I want to build up the engine but I want to know/see if anyone has done a build up yet.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
SeansZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working on it... I still havent decided on built 3.5 or 4.5. The 4.5 kit is going to be hard to get a hold of. I might start with cnc ported heads and cammed 3.5. Shooting for 400whp on the 3.5. We will see. Im waiting on some 4.5 kits to come out! Ohh and some tuning options might be nice
Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Nice.....just a few questions

1. Are you planning on boosting?
2. If you plan on boosting what Comp ratio are you looking at?
3. Have you decided on an EMS?

As soon as I hit my savings mark I plan on doing a build like I said but this will be my DD so I need reliability. Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 05:48 AM
kramerbuccs24

Originally Posted by SeansZ
working on it... I still havent decided on built 3.5 or 4.5. The 4.5 kit is going to be hard to get a hold of. I might start with cnc ported heads and cammed 3.5. Shooting for 400whp on the 3.5. We will see. Im waiting on some 4.5 kits to come out! Ohh and some tuning options might be nice
400 wheel N/A? That would be a very sweet build and probably attainable with properly selected parts and a top-notch tune.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 AM
terrycs

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior
Well Any?....My Z will be worked on sometime next year (engine build and turbo) when I have saved enough. I want to build up the engine but I want to know/see if anyone has done a build up yet.
The HR has shown itself to be reliable to over 400WHp with FI on stock internals. What is your target output?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think GTM have 4.5 kit.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Originally Posted by terrycs
The HR has shown itself to be reliable to over 400WHp with FI on stock internals. What is your target output?
500-600 range....I know the engine can take it.....I'm just doing the "spend more now so I don't spend allot more latter" thing.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 AM
terrycs

Originally Posted by midz350
I think GTM have 4.5 kit.
They have a 4.5 stroker motor available. I don't know if they've had a chance to boost it yet though.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
terrycs

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior
500-600 range....I know the engine can take it.....I'm just doing the "spend more now so I don't spend allot more latter" thing.
You also need to look into clutch or transmission upgrades for those power levels.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

You also need to look into clutch or transmission upgrades for those power levels.
I've already factored that in....thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 PM
TheOtherRob

Id love to see a 350hp N/A 350z. There is a member with around 305 I believe with just bolt ons and a reflash. So I would assume a build, cams, and some tuning may get close.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
shadykilla717

Yeaa.. The low 300 plus power is basically full exhaust and a reflash.. Pretty easy. Only like a few g's.. Not bad. Once my exhaust is sent here I just need a reflash and I should be over 300 rwhp.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 PM
SeansZ
Banned

400WHP should be no problem to hit. The cams I will be putting in might be a little big for a DD but they will make the power. My CNC guy said no problems doing the heads. Its all lined up I just need to see how I can go without my car for a while. And I am waiting on the access port results....
Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 AM
shadykilla717

400WHP should be no problem to hit. The cams I will be putting in might be a little big for a DD but they will make the power. My CNC guy said no problems doing the heads. Its all lined up I just need to see how I can go without my car for a while. And I am waiting on the access port results....
What kinda cams are you using?? And what work can I do to the head?? I wanna do a lil head work before the entire block. Maybe free up some air flow and make the revving and everything faster and safer. I'm coming from building hondas so I dunno how much of it is the same really.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 AM
terrycs

The heads on an HR already flow a lot better than on a DE. I believe GTM did the flow bench work.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
itsjiggajames

The heads on an HR already flow a lot better than on a DE. I believe GTM did the flow bench work.
Are you boosted? Where's this flow bench work chart? Link to thread? How do you know HRs are reliable boosted at 400-500rwhp when there are only a couple boosted so far and have been boosted for a couple months? Not that I doubt the HR is a stout motor but you have all these answers and I don't see any proof that i'm interested in seeing.. (high mileage HRs.. flow charts... etc)
If you could dig up some of them facts you're claiming I'd be thankful.
-J

Last edited by itsjiggajames; 09-29-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
terrycs

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Are you boosted? Where's this flow bench work chart? Link to thread? How do you know HRs are reliable boosted at 400-500rwhp when there are only a couple boosted so far and have been boosted for a couple months? Not that I doubt the HR is a stout motor but you have all these answers and I don't see any proof that i'm interested in seeing.. (high mileage HRs.. flow charts... etc)
If you could dig up some of them facts you're claiming I'd be thankful.
-J
Yes, my HR (in a G sedan though) was done by GTM on a conservative tune to 466WHp on 9psi.:

http://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07-...rning-gtm.html

I don't have the flow charts on the heads ... I just commented based on what Sam at GTM told me. I'll try to hit him up for some graphs when I get my car back from them. It's there for transmission upgrades right now.

I wanted to stay conservative so I think I have the lowest WHp for a boosted HR. The VHR has already been taken over 500WHp by FP also on a "conservative" tune.

I was also told GTM has sold about 11 kits so far, so we should be getting some good data soon.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
nismology1

Got a link? I'd really like to see that data.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
SeansZ
Banned

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
What kinda cams are you using?? And what work can I do to the head?? I wanna do a lil head work before the entire block. Maybe free up some air flow and make the revving and everything faster and safer. I'm coming from building hondas so I dunno how much of it is the same really.
I will most likely buy blank cams and come up with my own numbers and then have them ground. For those who know cams it will be somewhere around 235 duration at .050 and 11mm lift. The heads will be CNC machine ported. My heads will be used as the test subject for the new program. They will be flowed before and after. Im hoping for 50 more cfm.... Along with that I will get stainless steel valves and some new valve springs. Should get me to the 400whp mark.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 AM
shadykilla717

I will most likely buy blank cams and come up with my own numbers and then have them ground. For those who know cams it will be somewhere around 235 duration at .050 and 11mm lift. The heads will be CNC machine ported. My heads will be used as the test subject for the new program. They will be flowed before and after. Im hoping for 50 more cfm.... Along with that I will get stainless steel valves and some new valve springs. Should get me to the 400whp mark.
So theres no cams that are really out for our motors yet then huh?? Crower or no one has come out wit anything yet?? I was thinkin of camming the motor and building the head to go along with it.. Like a stg 2 setup on it.

Quick Reply: Any HR engine builds yet?