VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

injen CAI water shield question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Blackzizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injen CAI water shield question

Hey guys
so I've been seriously considering an Injen CAI for my hr, but I figured before I go for it I'd look more closely at the water issue that everyone seems to talk about on here. I've used the search tool and know the basics...my question is regarding what Injen calls their hydroshield prefilter. Injen claims they allow for "consistent airflow", but can anyone that has used these with their setup let me know if they experienced any performance losses? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

There is a huge thread on Injen's CAI for the HR engine already. Here's the link to the thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3601...or-the-hr.html

This one's free. The next searchable question will cost you 1 dollar!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Blackzizzle

I already found this thread, and I couldn't find anything specifically about the water shields themselves. thanks for the input though!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

The water shields only prevent water from being sucked into the intake . . . they don't add any more horsepower. Even without the water shield, the Injen CAI has actually shown power LOSSES for the Z (this has been proven through dyno charts). I know that Injen claims that the power gains from their CAI is around 15hp, however it was an Injen dyno that showed those gains . . . so be careful if you purchase one. In all honestly however, even if you don't experience a power loss and you actually do get a HP gain, it will merely be a gain on paper. You won't notice your Z being any faster than it already was when it had the stock intake installed. The only thing your going to notice is the flashy new piping under your hood and a more aggressive sound at high RPMs. Personally, CAIs are not worth the money.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Smackin

Originally Posted by Goin' Sidewayz!
The water shields only prevent water from being sucked into the intake . . . they don't add any more horsepower. Even without the water shield, the Injen CAI has actually shown power LOSSES for the Z (this has been proven through dyno charts). I know that Injen claims that the power gains from their CAI is around 15hp, however it was an Injen dyno that showed those gains . . . so be careful if you purchase one. In all honestly however, even if you don't experience a power loss and you actually do get a HP gain, it will merely be a gain on paper. You won't notice your Z being any faster than it already was when it had the stock intake installed. The only thing your going to notice is the flashy new piping under your hood and a more aggressive sound at high RPMs. Personally, CAIs are not worth the money.

Hmm no losses here. This is my dyno with them

But personally I dont feel the gain because I never take my car into 6.5+ RPM. But it does help with my other mods, and looks and sounds great.
As for the water shield... I dont have one on. I dont drive my Z in the rain...

Last edited by Smackin; 02-19-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Blackzizzle

I am well aware that the shields will not add hp, I am simply asking for testimonials from those that may have used the cloth water shields if they noticed a loss in power due to the added material the air must travel through. Logically I'd say the less air resistance the better, but I'm sure they designed the material with that in mind. Just looking for a confirmation on that before I buy.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Originally Posted by Blackzizzle
I am well aware that the shields will not add hp, I am simply asking for testimonials from those that may have used the cloth water shields if they noticed a loss in power due to the added material the air must travel through. Logically I'd say the less air resistance the better, but I'm sure they designed the material with that in mind. Just looking for a confirmation on that before I buy.
Right. . . and I'm simply giving you the information regarding the results of installing an Injen CAI on your Z. Generally the longer the intake tubing the greater chance there is for there being a power loss due to the fact that the air has to travel longer distances to get to the engine. Whatever. I've said all I know regarding the Injen CAI. In all honestly though you're kinda wasting your money. . . 500 dollars for somthing that really isn't going to give you any noticable power gains and potentially a power loss doesn't really sound like a great investment to me. But that's just me. It's your car so do what you like to it. Good luck with finding the information you need.