Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armt350z
Why a stillen would possibly blow more engines? Roots style S/C's provide more horsepower and torque down low as opposed to the available centrifugal S/C's so more stress on the engine components and transmission at normal driving RPM's. Also due to the design of a roots, more heat is transfered into the intake charge air as opposed to a centrifugal. Thats why.
I thought stillen was a twin screw, meaning that unlike a roots compression occurs internal to the blower (like a centrifugal) and thus creates no extra heat at the valves (like a roots blower).
Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Why a stillen would possibly blow more engines?
can you read? its been said about 5 times in this thread
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot believe that people even still bring up buying a stillen S/C.

I am thinking heavily of trying to invest in Stillen, that way I will make money when the idiots buy that crap.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 PM
stormcrow

as the owner of a Stillen kit, i can give the following opinions and facts:

1 - Stillen supercharger kit w/Stillen EMS on 2006 Nissan Pathfinder daily driven for over 20k miles with absolutely ZERO issue except one (mentioned below)

2 - Blower is Eaton TVS

3 - Eaton blowers were OEM blowers of choice and have been used on the majority of factory supercharged cars over the past few decades (Buick, Jaguar, etc.)

4 - EMS is most likely a UniChip...it does not resemble the SS box physically in any way

5 - EMS sucks *****. My first one fried two days after install. This was most likely due to the ****-poor location (inside scalding hot box holding IPDM) proposed by Stillen - EMS has since been installed behind glove box in-cabin.

6 - Tune on UniCrap is safe for the majority of vehicles. It's tuned for 91 octane at sea-level and is pig rich. I'm sure timing is ridiculously mild, as well, but cannot confirm at we (Sharif and I) never looked at the map. This is why the numbers it generates are so low.

7 - The R&D of this kit is poor, at best. (never installed one on a Z, but the if the design is anything similar to the Pathfinder's setup, it leaves a LOT to be desired)

8 - The kit is OVERPRICED for what you get. Save your money.

i know there have been blown motors with the Stillen kit at all stages...but, this is the case with any and all FI kits on the market... as was stated, all cars are different and there is not "one size fits all" for any platform... a tune is needed at all levels...even with this kit...

to anyone desiring to purchase a Stillen kit...please do reconsider an alternate route... i promise that you will overpay and will eventually be dissatisfied with your purchase... if i could do it over again, i would steer clear of the product...
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM
kakashishin

Thanks stormcrow for the input. This is what I'm talking about when I say I want to hear reasons at why its crap. I'll consider what you said in my decision when I go FI soon.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Manjot

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I cannot believe that people even still bring up buying a stillen S/C.

I am thinking heavily of trying to invest in Stillen, that way I will make money when the idiots buy that crap.

At least Stillen makes SCs that you can use in CA and stay carb legal.

Last edited by Manjot; 05-31-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by kakashishin
Thanks stormcrow for the input. This is what I'm talking about when I say I want to hear reasons at why its crap. I'll consider what you said in my decision when I go FI soon.
i've also had a Vortech kit on a G35 coupe... it was, hands down, head and shoulders above the Stillen kit i currently have on my Pathfinder... the ONLY reason i have the Stillen kit on my Pathfinder is because Vortech does not make one for it...

a bit of background on my FI experiences:

bought a G35...found g35driver.com and this site...went through the stages - N/A mods and then waded into FI with Vortech... install was straight-forward (done by Forged Performance) but had ability to "tweak" tune on SS box with Vortech kit... tired quickly of supercharger and needed more room than the G35 could offer...so, i bought a Pathfinder (this was late 2006)...

missed my sports car; purchased an 03 350Z... went ***** to the wall with built motor, GReddy twins, FCON, and all the goodies... different maps yeilded anywhere from 535rwhp to a bit over 600... tired of only driving the car once/twice a month (would not drive it unless it was warm and sunny...car never saw rain and had far too much power for cold weather) so I sold it last July...

missed having something...anything that was FI...so, bought Stillen kit for Pathfinder... of all the FI experiences I've had, it's by far the worst... and not only because it's the least amount of power...it fits like crap...sounds like crap (whine of the blower is annoying)...and the cost was ridiculous for what i got... also, when there were issues (Stillen sent wrong fuel pump and missing parts with kit / EMS that fried) Stillen was sort of useless... for the price, there are far better options...

good luck in whichever route you choose...
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
"Quality" was specifically the "philosophy" I wanted to discuss. Clearly, you are saying that the issue is in their "box". My question was and remains if another tuning solution wouldn't change the equation. Clearly, it would.
you have one assumption which is yoru flaw, that is that you can change and adjust the tune.... stillen doesnt let you read what i said jsut a bit more carefully (again). EMS provided is way bellow average from other the newer Fi systems anyways, so you are overpaying on that part.
And again, i think its ovbious that you are giving stillen too much credit for quality cause there sint very much to their kit, it lacks many parts other Fi systems provide such as fuel system and better ems, plus allow for more pwoer, for same same prive or slightly more, that alone tells you you are overpaying for that... again you are getting into this as a false sense of you are paying for quality and safety...which you really arent getting....

Yes, I'm an engineer.... thus the question. Why would a Stillen SC "blow more engines" than comparable solutions with similar air charges? (Answer - it wouldn't).
as i said which you didnt read:
Originally Posted by me
because they function of a stillen provided flash on a shity ems (ss box), and lack of fuel system. You cant tune it cause stillen locks SS box..and charges 1000s for theri ripoff upgrades of stage 2, 3, 4 like they have...if it wasnt locked then it would be up to the tuner, but you are locked **** out of luck
You and doug think they're junk because you can get more "bang for your buck". Great. That is a valid point, and has been driven home. The REAL question is - is the Stillen SC junk, or just not your cup of tea?
its good-average quality, nothin to it, sub-par supporting parts..
I already said S/C arent my cup of tea, but at least then check out vortech, it can reach more than you can with just n/a mods lol, as you would expect from a mod you paid >6k $ more. WIth that you can reach 400whp-470whp...though s/c would be a very slow 400whp compared to a 400whp with a turbo for about same price... and as i said, with turbo you can always raise psi and go for more...

Plus we have heard stillen call 318whp on the VQ acceptable power for FI already... we have the experience they have had with the vQ up to now so far, its far to assume if they conside that acceptable that you cant expect much. I am also wondered if they will rip people off with more ridiculous expensive offers for stag2,3,4 for weak power, or if they will rip people off by locking them into having to buy a fugly hood

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-31-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Peak350

Not to incite argument, but they said 318 NA was good for the HR's, which speaks nothing of their FI goals.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
And again, i think its ovbious that you are giving stillen too much credit for quality cause there sint very much to their kit, it lacks many parts other Fi systems provide such as fuel system and better ems, plus allow for more pwoer, for same same prive or slightly more, that alone tells you you are overpaying for that... again you are getting into this as a false sense of you are paying for quality and safety...which you really arent getting....

its good-average quality, nothin to it, sub-par supporting parts..
I already said S/C arent my cup of tea, but at least then check out vortech, it can reach more than you can with just n/a mods lol, as you would expect from a mod you paid >6k $ more. WIth that you can reach 400whp-470whp...though s/c would be a very slow 400whp compared to a 400whp with a turbo for about same price... and as i said, with turbo you can always raise psi and go for more...
These points are what I was looking for. All the rest I've heard, ad nauseum.

"But this one goes to 11"

"Why can't you make 10 louder?"

"... but this one goes to 11"

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
kakashishin

Originally Posted by Peak350
Not to incite argument, but they said 318 NA was good for the HR's, which speaks nothing of their FI goals.
Yeah they said that, but I don't think that guy is reading the post right. You might want to re post the e-mail again. He's gonna argue with you about you saying that. LOL
Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 AM
kakashishin

There are two many unknowns about it, but I hope the do the something similar to the twin supercharger that power enterprise is working for the GTR. There is a picture of it on there site on the homepage.

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/index.html

No fugly hood to mess with either if they do it this way.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 AM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
can you read? its been said about 5 times in this thread
the real question is can you read. Look at the whole post without paraphrasing the first sentance only. I answered the question with reasons why.

Edit: And mind you I am not for the stillen at all. i was listing specific reasons for the stillen unit not the EMS for blowing motors.

Last edited by armt350z; 06-01-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
doug

the real question is can you read. Look at the whole post without paraphrasing the first sentance only. I answered the question with reasons why.
your answer is still incorrect.. please do some more research by READING this thread.. we have already answered it numerous times.. let me help you.. it has nothing to do with the style of the supercharger or the supercharger itself.. it has to do with the locked EMS that stillen provides.. got it? good
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
armt350z

Originally Posted by Peak350
I thought stillen was a twin screw, meaning that unlike a roots compression occurs internal to the blower (like a centrifugal) and thus creates no extra heat at the valves (like a roots blower).
Regardless of where the compression happens heat its a byproduct of the compression. otherwise there would be no reason to intercool the air. The stillen is not a true twin screw such as a whipple twin screw. its merely a eaton roots blower with twisted lobes.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM
armt350z

Doug, I am in no way nor have I dispuited the EMS is the core reason of the failures. That is an undisputable fact. I was answering post #162 and 164 from QNman.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
doug

Doug, I am in no way nor have I dispuited the EMS is the core reason of the failures. That is an undisputable fact. I was answering post #162 and 164 from QNman.
ok...i appologize
Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
350ZPK

it's July and still no product .... lol
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
biggersNISMO

I guess Stillen is another one of those "RevShift" fails....
Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
kakashishin

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
I guess Stillen is another one of those "RevShift" fails....
Yeah your right. At least JWT put out a photo on what there turbo kit is gonna look like installed, I think you will have better luck hoping that if they make one for the 370Z, that it will be compatible with our Z.

Quick Reply: Stillen Super Charger for the HR?