Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:29 AM
QNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
are you kidding me? this has nothing to do with big numbers.. it has to do with value for a dollar

and your explanation of my analogy with fries and a drink makes absolutely no sense..

let me break it down for you since you didn't get it

Stillen SC (DE) - $5,000 - 303whp
Whopper Jr - $4

Greddy TT (DE) - $6,000 - 360whp
Double Whooper - $4.50

Stillen SC(DE) w/ full bolt-ons & cams = 330whp
Whopper Jr - 100% eaten

Greddy TT (DE) - no change out the box = 360whp
Double Whopper - 25% eaten

Senario: Hungry for more power

Sold Stillen SC = +$2000
New Greddy TT = $6,000 - $2,000(Used Stillen SC) $4,000

GreddyTT done wrong = $4,000 + $5,000 = $9,000 Spent
GreddyTT done right = $5,000 (turns up boost for more power)

I am really sad that i had to break this down to you this way.. i thought you would have figured that out the first time.. again.. this has nothing to do with big numbers.. it has to do with value for your dollar..

if the Stillen SC was $3,000 total with hood out the door.. i wouldn't tell everyone it was a waste of money..

Again.. it boils down to if you like wasting money.. thats good for you

FYI: i have a pretty flat TQ curve
Bully for you, dude. Go spend your money on whatever the **** floats your boat. But continuing to ask if "I'm kidding you" because I don't agree with you is just stupid.

I'll "waste" my money on whatever the hell I choose. Don't like it? Fine! Whatever! Go stalk someone else for a while. I'm interested in opinions - even yours - but only if you can present it in a non-condescending way, and be open to the idea that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this particular question.

Last edited by QNman; 05-25-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Well...from experience....from other people on the site, i will tell you the same as a fair advice, stay away from stillen S/C.....there is nothing more ***** out there to F/I your car....might as well keep it n/a.....and ovbiously the guy that said that "this is made more for low end" doent know crap about Fi. To begin with a s/c will have a more linear flatter curve, kidna n/a like but Tq numbers will be low....a turbo is the ultimate with it comes to power, and the size of the turbo and boost will determine where the bulk of the power on the powerband is.... you want more low end? get small turbo(s)...Simple. You wanna get safer? run less boost...either way at the lowest boost (say 4psi) a turbo will still put ~100lbs of tq more.

what Doug is really doing is a favor and a call out to the n00bs here that run useless/extravagant/inacurate excuses to support why they spend so much money on a stillen s/c that makes as much power as n/a with bolt ons lol, its not about being "safer" or "not looking for the biggest numbers, for that all you do is determine weather you want to run like twin gt35rs or twin gt28rs... a single gt35r or a gt42r....
And of course a solid tune... which is importante regardless if its s/c or turbo...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-25-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 AM
BigMo350z

Update HR Guys!-

Hi Muhammad,

While the various stages are not completely distinct, I would say we are in the prototyping stage. As this involves things like castings and electronics, it is very hard to extrapolate any completion date – particularly when the testing stage can potentially have us making modifications to the design.

You are getting good power at 318 whp. Please understand that our goal is not maximum power, but maximum reliable and 50 state legal power on stock engine internals and drivetrain.

We will likely release pictures and more details at a later time. There are a number of challenges in working with this engine, and we have found some very creative and robust solutions to them so far. I’m sure you will understand that we have no desire to do anyone else’s R&D…

Thanks again for your interest,

Jeff R.

Hi Jeff,

Currently what stage our we on for the stillen HR motor Design? Prototype? Testing? Also I believe it is very easy to accomplish 400whp on the HR motor. I have seen complete bolt on mods for the 350z hr producing 318 whp! Here on the board. If you have any pictures, more information that would be great. I am trying to keep everyone excited about the kit so we can really build the demand!

Mo
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Well...from experience....from other people on the site, i will tell you the same as a fair advice, stay away from stillen S/C.....there is nothing more ***** out there to F/I your car....might as well keep it n/a.....and ovbiously the guy that said that "this is made more for low end" doent know crap about Fi. To begin with a s/c will have a more linear flatter curve, kidna n/a like but Tq numbers will be low....a turbo is the ultimate with it comes to power, and the size of the turbo and boost will determine where the bulk of the power on the powerband is.... you want more low end? get small turbo(s)...Simple. You wanna get safer? run less boost...either way at the lowest boost (say 4psi) a turbo will still put ~100lbs of tq more.

what Doug is really doing is a favor and a call out to the n00bs here that run useless/extravagant/inacurate excuses to support why they spend so much money on a stillen s/c that makes as much power as n/a with bolt ons lol, its not about being "safer" or "not looking for the biggest numbers, for that all you do is determine weather you want to run like twin gt35rs or twin gt28rs... a single gt35r or a gt42r....
And of course a solid tune... which is importante regardless if its s/c or turbo...
Thanks, Silver. See? Apparently someone CAN disagree with me and be respectful and informative.

I don't have specific experience with Stillen SC's or with 350Z turbo's, but I do have experience with SC's and turbo's on other vehicles, and have owned both. None were the same platform, so not exactly apples and oranges, but the SC cars always seem to come on earlier - no lag. Also I have zero experience with TWIN turbo's, so there may be more to the equation than I have experience on.

Now, with this background, there is no HR SC from Stillen to look at. It isn't out yet. I'll judge it when it is out.

One thing I DON'T KNOW anything about also is Stillen's rep for quality. They seem reputable, but do they make a product that will last on the street? I LOVE my Z, even stock. SC would be a fun add-on of power, that hopefully will be low maintenance, not reduce reliability, and so on. If the complaint is that they're a POS and they break or blow motors, that's one thing. If the complaint is it "doesn't add enough horsepower", then to each his own.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by BigMo350z
Update HR Guys!-

Hi Muhammad,

While the various stages are not completely distinct, I would say we are in the prototyping stage. As this involves things like castings and electronics, it is very hard to extrapolate any completion date – particularly when the testing stage can potentially have us making modifications to the design.

You are getting good power at 318 whp. Please understand that our goal is not maximum power, but maximum reliable and 50 state legal power on stock engine internals and drivetrain.

We will likely release pictures and more details at a later time. There are a number of challenges in working with this engine, and we have found some very creative and robust solutions to them so far. I’m sure you will understand that we have no desire to do anyone else’s R&D…

Jeff R.

Hi Jeff,

Currently what stage our we on for the stillen HR motor Design? Prototype? Testing? Also I believe it is very easy to accomplish 400whp on the HR motor. I have seen complete bolt on mods for the 350z hr producing 318 whp! Here on the board. If you have any pictures, more information that would be great. I am trying to keep everyone excited about the kit so we can really build the demand!

Mo
Thanks, Mo!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
willow350

Unhappy

[QUOTE=BigMo350z;7364028]Update HR Guys!-

Hi Muhammad,

Jeff R.

I hope it makes more than 318 whp. That's too low for FI V6.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM
kakashishin

Originally Posted by QNman
Thanks, Silver. See? Apparently someone CAN disagree with me and be respectful and informative.

I don't have specific experience with Stillen SC's or with 350Z turbo's, but I do have experience with SC's and turbo's on other vehicles, and have owned both. None were the same platform, so not exactly apples and oranges, but the SC cars always seem to come on earlier - no lag. Also I have zero experience with TWIN turbo's, so there may be more to the equation than I have experience on.

Now, with this background, there is no HR SC from Stillen to look at. It isn't out yet. I'll judge it when it is out.

One thing I DON'T KNOW anything about also is Stillen's rep for quality. They seem reputable, but do they make a product that will last on the street? I LOVE my Z, even stock. SC would be a fun add-on of power, that hopefully will be low maintenance, not reduce reliability, and so on. If the complaint is that they're a POS and they break or blow motors, that's one thing. If the complaint is it "doesn't add enough horsepower", then to each his own.
+1. I love my Z as well, and I'll never do something I think I won't be able to handle later. I want the Stillen SC for reliability and peace of mind. They put a warranty on there product so you know its safe and It's gonna do some decent gains. A twin turbo kit is bad *** and I don't think anyone here is trying to disagree with that but not everyone can dig into the bank and throw money at a depreciating investment. If they can produce a sc that makes 350 to 400 on a stock block reliably, then I'm happy. Yes any type of FI can destroy your engine with do time and the right variables, but If I can run a SC for the life of my car or until it gets around a 150k in miles then I'm a happy camper. If people want a SC for there Z instead of a TT kit the please stop shitting on their dreams. It's their money just like its yours to throw it on a tt kit. To each his own.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Bully for you, dude. Go spend your money on whatever the **** floats your boat. But continuing to ask if "I'm kidding you" because I don't agree with you is just stupid.

I'll "waste" my money on whatever the hell I choose. Don't like it? Fine! Whatever! Go stalk someone else for a while. I'm interested in opinions - even yours - but only if you can present it in a non-condescending way, and be open to the idea that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this particular question.
how am i even remotely stalking you? what the hell is wrong with you dude? you have some serious problems.. we had two posts together one thread and i'm stalking you?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
doug

Originally Posted by kakashishin
+1. I love my Z as well, and I'll never do something I think I won't be able to handle later. I want the Stillen SC for reliability and peace of mind. They put a warranty on there product so you know its safe and It's gonna do some decent gains. A twin turbo kit is bad *** and I don't think anyone here is trying to disagree with that but not everyone can dig into the bank and throw money at a depreciating investment. If they can produce a sc that makes 350 to 400 on a stock block reliably, then I'm happy. Yes any type of FI can destroy your engine with do time and the right variables, but If I can run a SC for the life of my car or until it gets around a 150k in miles then I'm a happy camper. If people want a SC for there Z instead of a TT kit the please stop shitting on their dreams. It's their money just like its yours to throw it on a tt kit. To each his own.
safe? did you happen to miss my post that the Stillen SC has blown more DE Motors than any other form of FI on this site?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
doug

anyway.. i hope you guys enjoy your 318whp for $5,000/$6,000 ... i don't know how else i can explain it to you... your money.. do as you please.. but i will be here to tell you i told you so when you end up selling it for something else down the road
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
IIQuickSilverII

depends what you consider lag, but if you are looking for something thats almost instant, then you need a twin turbo like the PowerEnterprise......I have posted information already showing that a single gt35r can han in with twin gt28r even with spool if you wanna consider other options too...which would have more higher power potential......
So again if you want something that is pretty instant, PE TT is the one with the fastest spool i believe.

true but i wouldnt hold my breath

One thing I DON'T KNOW anything about also is Stillen's rep for quality. They seem reputable, but do they make a product that will last on the street? I LOVE my Z, even stock.
stillen was even bundling disneyland trips if you bought their S/C because its the only way they could keep scaming people to overpay for it.
I dont think the quality of stillen is bad, but there are far better products out there....like the stillen exhaust for example... works, puts out decen n./a gains, but its heavy as fock, fugly, not really quiet either, useless FI.
There are some better mods out there, many which would be safe as far as maintining stocklike drivabily with the improved performance.

SC would be a fun add-on of power, that hopefully will be low maintenance, not reduce reliability, and so on. If the complaint is that they're a POS and they break or blow motors, that's one thing. If the complaint is it "doesn't add enough horsepower", then to each his own.
sc its not really any less maintenance than a good turbo setup, i had my TN turbo while on the stock block and never had to do anything so out of the ordinary for maintenance, regular oil change, eye on fluid levels...whily i dropve my car heart i also tryed to be smart about it...if you wanna go easier on the engine like i said, you jsut run less boost, like 4-6 psi...thats it...
A lot of the low maintenance reliability will come from the tuner, install quality and also the amount of mods.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by doug
anyway.. i hope you guys enjoy your 318whp for $5,000/$6,000 ... i don't know how else i can explain it to you... your money.. do as you please.. but i will be here to tell you i told you so when you end up selling it for something else down the road
lol
werd.... some people are just stupid... or even more stupid by not admiting they got ripped off, and just go with useless excuses and wrong information to justify their purchase.
ITs amazing why peopel think they are getting better piece of mind with this purchase lol...as if somehow the split second box that crap comes out with would be evern remotely better than a Utec or osiris or fconIS...**** fuel system....ugh i could go on.

not everyone can dig into the bank and throw money at a depreciating investment. If they can produce a sc that makes 350 to 400 on a stock block reliably, then I'm happy.
... you are throwing more money on the same kind buyt worst depreciating investment, that even offers much less in value on parts, performance, entertaiment, reliability than other systems out there.....
lol you expect to get 150k miles? out of it...some people didnt get 10k out of that POS

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-25-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:39 PM
kakashishin

6k for a realiable supercharger is still a hell of a lot cheaper than 12k for a twin turbo kit. I want to see what results they have and what someone else thinks about the kit before I buy it. If you guys want to be dicks about other peoples op on the subject then you said your peace now move on. YOUR MONEY IS YOUR MONEY SO STOP TRYING TO CALL SOMEONE STUPID FOR DOING IT. If you guys want tt kits thats great but I do want other options and I want to weigh each one. If Stillen SC was such garbage, and if so many people hate them, then I would be sure to see a link or a thread with what happened but as it stands right now, there isn't so please go ********** or something to relieve all that pent up aggression and lets talk like adults without resulting to name calling and have a civilized debate. I know people with blown engines from both turbos and sc, but I think you get some good gains for a less price than a tt kit. If they make a single turbo kit, hell I would consider it. Like I said before in my post it's what that person wants and no one here to my knowlege is saying twin turbo kits are garbage compared to sc kits. I just want a supercharger kit to be different and because I have had a sc'd car before and I like the wine of the sc.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
doug

6k for a realiable supercharger is still a hell of a lot cheaper than 12k for a twin turbo kit. I want to see what results they have and what someone else thinks about the kit before I buy it. If you guys want to be dicks about other peoples op on the subject then you said your peace now move on. YOUR MONEY IS YOUR MONEY SO STOP TRYING TO CALL SOMEONE STUPID FOR DOING IT. If you guys want tt kits thats great but I do want other options and I want to weigh each one. If Stillen SC was such garbage, and if so many people hate them, then I would be sure to see a link or a thread with what happened but as it stands right now, there isn't so please go ********** or something to relieve all that pent up aggression and lets talk like adults without resulting to name calling and have a civilized debate. I know people with blown engines from both turbos and sc, but I think you get some good gains for a less price than a tt kit. If they make a single turbo kit, hell I would consider it. Like I said before in my post it's what that person wants and no one here to my knowlege is saying twin turbo kits are garbage compared to sc kits. I just want a supercharger kit to be different and because I have had a sc'd car before and I like the wine of the sc.
you have tunnel vision.. i just told you the Stillen SC blew more stock motors than any other FI and you're still using reliable.. i never told anyone to buy a TT Kit.. my point was if your going to buy a Stillen SC you might as well stay N/A because of the minimal gains... do you guys even listen to people or do you have blinders on?

I would encourage anyone to buy ANY other FI kit over stillen, Vortech SC, Procharger, HKS .. anything but stillen.. this isn't a Twin Turbo vs Stillen SC debate..

you guys are friggen hopeless.. we are trying to tell you that its waste of money and all you can do is act defenseless and get pissy about it..

you know what? i'm done.. go waste your damn money
Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
IIQuickSilverII

6k for a realiable supercharger is still a hell of a lot cheaper than 12k for a twin turbo kit.
I didnt mention a tt kit speciafically, but turbos in general being more $/hp effective than a S/C, and the excuses like more midrange on a s/c etc are incorrect. 6k for a supercharger? and 318whp?, you can n/a and get same power.. GET IT?
also if you did bothered to look at all, and you do DIY install you can get a turbo setup for about 6-7k too, that woudl include much better parts, and tune, since youa re not using a "fixed" tune on the crappy SS box.
THESE ARE FACTS!

I want to see what results they have and what someone else thinks about the kit before I buy it. If you guys want to be dicks about other peoples op on the subject then you said your peace now move on. YOUR MONEY IS YOUR MONEY SO STOP TRYING TO CALL SOMEONE STUPID FOR DOING IT. If you guys want tt kits thats great but I do want other options and I want to weigh each one.
, are you paying attention at all? problems with readin comprenehnsion?.... this isn't about what kit you should get, but rather what you should not get...if you are just hot for the S/C whine, then at least consider other options like vortech over stillen.... it will be the weakest 400whp due the low tq but at least its 80whp more than you can get from stillen. A turbo is simply better, and costs depends on size of turbos, piuping, goals etc... if you want somethign milder for stock block there are plenty of really good options.

If Stillen SC was such garbage, and if so many people hate them, then I would be sure to see a link or a thread with what happened but as it stands right now, there isn't so please go ********** or something to relieve all that pent up aggression and lets talk like adults without resulting to name calling and have a civilized debate.
what debate? if stillen SC isnt garbage? its not about if the supercharger itself will be bad quality, but rather than what you are paying for the performance you get is garbage. NO aggression, be i lol at people that think they are making a fair decision stillen and even more funny seeing them cheap excuses.
IF you wanna talk like an adult, then read up on the fact before...
YES there are some stillen threads too on their blown engines.

I just want a supercharger kit to be different and because I have had a sc'd car before and I like the wine of the sc.
this is all you had to say, though its contradictory, your decition making, that your inherently/blindly/moronic/carelessly looking for an option that provides the least of all power, just because of the wine sound and be different while at the same time you complain about spending on a depreciating value...its ovbious you are considering the lease value of options. even if you stick with s/c, some actually put down 400whp...not safer than a TT kit and not that much cheaper, and no more or less reliable than stillen or a turbo setup(either tt or st). IF your wallet doesnt affort you a real FI kit, then stay n/a and do other bolt-ons..youll get the same power
Old 05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
kakashishin

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
I didnt mention a tt kit speciafically, but turbos in general being more $/hp effective than a S/C, and the excuses like more midrange on a s/c etc are incorrect. 6k for a supercharger? and 318whp?, you can n/a and get same power.. GET IT?
also if you did bothered to look at all, and you do DIY install you can get a turbo setup for about 6-7k too, that woudl include much better parts, and tune, since youa re not using a "fixed" tune on the crappy SS box.
THESE ARE FACTS!

, are you paying attention at all? problems with readin comprenehnsion?.... this isn't about what kit you should get, but rather what you should not get...if you are just hot for the S/C whine, then at least consider other options like vortech over stillen.... it will be the weakest 400whp due the low tq but at least its 80whp more than you can get from stillen. A turbo is simply better, and costs depends on size of turbos, piuping, goals etc... if you want somethign milder for stock block there are plenty of really good options.

what debate? if stillen SC isnt garbage? its not about if the supercharger itself will be bad quality, but rather than what you are paying for the performance you get is garbage. NO aggression, be i lol at people that think they are making a fair decision stillen and even more funny seeing them cheap excuses.
IF you wanna talk like an adult, then read up on the fact before...
YES there are some stillen threads too on their blown engines.

this is all you had to say, though its contradictory, your decition making, that your inherently/blindly/moronic/carelessly looking for an option that provides the least of all power, just because of the wine sound and be different while at the same time you complain about spending on a depreciating value...its ovbious you are considering the lease value of options. even if you stick with s/c, some actually put down 400whp...not safer than a TT kit and not that much cheaper, and no more or less reliable than stillen or a turbo setup(either tt or st). IF your wallet doesnt affort you a real FI kit, then stay n/a and do other bolt-ons..youll get the same power
So your saying you have see a 6k turbo kit for the hr? Cause thats what heading this thread is in. If you have seen one please by all means point me in the right direction. If not then whey do you insist on arguing a point when you haven't even put up links to back this up. I don't understand your issue with people going with the Supercharger if its cheaper. If its garbage, I won't buy it. Yes there have been plenty of people who have when to turbo when they felt like the supercharger they have purchased was limited but I just want to get to 400 at the wheels and whatever way I can do it safely and inexpensively I will do it. That way when something does go wrong I have a lot more money to play with to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM
IIQuickSilverII

I just want to get to 400 at the wheels and whatever way I can do it safely and inexpensively I will do it. That way when something does go wrong I have a lot more money to play with to make sure it doesn't happen again.
you should not go FI... all that is fully incorrect, there is no safe and inexpensive....with stillen you dont get cheap you get expensive for what you get... you dont get safet either, i am not going to bother doing what your choose to ignore anyways, and that is search. And yes less people bought stillen SCs on the DE as time went on and realized what a ripoff it was to overpay for such low power they could have gotten with simpler bolons. GET IT?
I dont have to put up links because to begin with, i know when i sold my turbo kit i did it for 4k and there were plenty of other turbo kits out there for around same price....and I ovbiously been involved FI on the VQ far more than you have.

"I don't understand your issue with people going with the Supercharger if its cheaper."
2 things, its not cheaper $/hp, and the bigger issue here is with stillen in particular.
A bad tune, install eve at 320whp will mess up your engine.

SO once again, are you reading anything? i dont understand why you get so defensive... go ahead waste your money on the stillen s/c.....it was made to take advantage of n00bs that fall just like you...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would love to get a turbo set up, absolutely love it... but I live in Silverthorne Colorado, the elevation is almost 9,000 ft above sea level. The air is soo thin. All my brothers rides that are turbo'd don't even feel like they are boosted. But a supercharger would probably a different story... Enlighten me if i'm wrong.

What type of F/I would you go with in my case?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
doug

So your saying you have see a 6k turbo kit for the hr? Cause thats what heading this thread is in. If you have seen one please by all means point me in the right direction. If not then whey do you insist on arguing a point when you haven't even put up links to back this up. I don't understand your issue with people going with the Supercharger if its cheaper. If its garbage, I won't buy it. Yes there have been plenty of people who have when to turbo when they felt like the supercharger they have purchased was limited but I just want to get to 400 at the wheels and whatever way I can do it safely and inexpensively I will do it. That way when something does go wrong I have a lot more money to play with to make sure it doesn't happen again.
OMG if we were having a conversation i would have put my head through a wall already..

its not about going turbo.. its about getting the best value for your money.. so either you stay N/A or you find another form of FI .. be it Turbo or Supercharger.. just not the Stillen SC..

stop looking at 318 whp being lower than 400 whp means that the 318whp will last longer.. the Stillen SC comes with a locked split second box and no one can alter the tune.. so if you buy bad gas or the tempreture in the air differs from the one in cali where the boxes are preprogrammed.. BOOOM there goes your motor.. it has nothing to do with whp.. it has to do with the tune..

its really hard for me to listen and respond to you without calling you names because you just don't get it.. but i'm accepting the fact that some people need a little more hand holding or a little more explanation to get it.. however if you still havn't gotten it by now.. i don't think Quick and I can do much more for you
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM
doug

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
i would love to get a turbo set up, absolutely love it... but I live in Silverthorne Colorado, the elevation is almost 9,000 ft above sea level. The air is soo thin. All my brothers rides that are turbo'd don't even feel like they are boosted. But a supercharger would probably a different story... Enlighten me if i'm wrong.

What type of F/I would you go with in my case?
I'm not sure about the altitude factor.. but i know one of the fastest Z's in the country is in Colorado.. the White Boulder Nissan 350z .. running low 10's... maybe even 9's now.. however.. i feel you need to see the difference in performance at your elevation between both forms of FI and make your decision.. what i don't agree with and i have been saying in this thread is paying a exhorbitant amount of money for the Stillen SC to get 10 - 15 whp over bolt-on's

Quick Reply: Stillen Super Charger for the HR?