Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Super Charger for the HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
zettahertz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they stick w/ their word and make it 50 state legal. I'd save up for one.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder which phase they are in.

Design? Prototype? Testing?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM
warmmilk

looks like its gonna be another low power kit, i'd be interested if it was making at least 380 to the wheels, anything less, and its almost not worth it...
Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Peak350

If they haven't figured out how easy it is to get 400whp on the HR (unless they are trying to do it stock exhaust) then I don't think its going to be worthwhile.

Might be another Stillen FTL situation. Although I generally like Stillen products.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ yup, everything i have on my car is from stillen
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by BigMo350z
Hi Muhammad,

This is a very high priority with our R&D team. We believe that this will be a good selling kit as well. 400 at the wheels? We’ll see as the kit comes along, but our goals are to produce a reliable and 50 state legal kit using stock engine components. On the last two variations of this engine, neither of these would be possible at this kind of power output. But as I say, we’ll know better as we get to the testing phase.

Thanks,

Jeff
RWHP is not the only goal for me... a nice plateau of a torque curve with 350 WHP would open my wallet. Especially under the stock HR hood, with stock reliability.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
terrycs

Originally Posted by QNman
RWHP is not the only goal for me... a nice plateau of a torque curve with 350 WHP would open my wallet. Especially under the stock HR hood, with stock reliability.
Because the HR is a higher reving motor, HR torque < DE torque, so I wouldn't hold my breath for big numbers.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Lakeside

As long as it produces a 100 WHP gain I would be interested. Otherwise I'd rather go TT

Time will tell
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
^^^ yup, everything i have on my car is from stillen
now that i think about it.. i don't think i have one stillen product on my car
Old 05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Because the HR is a higher reving motor, HR torque < DE torque, so I wouldn't hold my breath for big numbers.
Yea because the DE has so much more torque than the HR
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM
terrycs

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
Yea because the DE has so much more torque than the HR
I'd still take the HR.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:59 AM
QNman

I'm not looking for "big numbers"... I'm looking for a nice flat plateau of torque. But to each his own.

Numbers are for bragging... broad, useful power is what I want.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:00 AM
QNman

I'd still take the HR.
Ditto.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM
doug

I'm not looking for "big numbers"... I'm looking for a nice flat plateau of torque. But to each his own.

Numbers are for bragging... broad, useful power is what I want.
that argument is the biggest bunch of bullsh!t i've seen in my life.. "i'm not looking for big numbers" ..

I wasn't looking for a double whopper, but that doesn't mean i'm going to pay $4 for a Jr Whopper when a Double Whopper cost $4.50 ... yeah i'm not THAT hungry i need a double whopper... but i'm also not dumb enough to pay almost the same cost at 1/4 of the food.. Personally i would rather pay 50 cents extra and get the Double Whopper.. then eat what i want and put the rest in the fridge, that way if i do get hungry later on i can grab the rest.. right then and there.. instead of having to go out again and spend almost double for more..

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! the only people who have an excuse to buy a Stillen SC are people who live in Cali and are worried about CARB requriements.. if you don't live in Cali you are silly to pay that much for so little.. well maybe you like wasting money

Last edited by doug; 05-24-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
terrycs

I'm not sure how Stillen plans to get a decent return on their R&D investmentment without charging a lot.

The HR heads flow a heck of a lot more than the previous DE heads. The blower is gonna have to pump a lot more, maybe even requiring it to be bigger. Next come the dual MAF that come from the factory. Are they gonna yank that all out and combine it back into one?

As for CARB ... well, that is all money if the stock Cats are still there. If they are willing to go through CARB for us CA folks, guess what ... they're gonna pass the cost along to everyone.

Not trying to slam Stillen here, but seriously, the HR is almost meant to have TT. Why bother trying to show horn a blower in there? Just to say that it can be done is not good enough if it doesn not make good business sense.

As for streetability, yes, I drive my 470WHp HR-TT with 5AT to and from work everyday even in traffic. I usually leave my EBC on spring pressure which is about 380 WHp at 6-7 psi. The 5AT has a shift kit and trans cooler.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:39 PM
QNman

Originally Posted by doug
that argument is the biggest bunch of bullsh!t i've seen in my life.. "i'm not looking for big numbers" ..

I wasn't looking for a double whopper, but that doesn't mean i'm going to pay $4 for a Jr Whopper when a Double Whopper cost $4.50 ... yeah i'm not THAT hungry i need a double whopper... but i'm also not dumb enough to pay almost the same cost at 1/4 of the food.. Personally i would rather pay 50 cents extra and get the Double Whopper.. then eat what i want and put the rest in the fridge, that way if i do get hungry later on i can grab the rest.. right then and there.. instead of having to go out again and spend almost double for more..

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! the only people who have an excuse to buy a Stillen SC are people who live in Cali and are worried about CARB requriements.. if you don't live in Cali you are silly to pay that much for so little.. well maybe you like wasting money
You spend your money how you like. Personally, I would rather have a flat torque curve. You like big numbers? Cool. There's a solution for you out there somewhere. I'll take useful over big power any day.

In your analogy, if the Whopper Jr. is $4 and comes with fries and a drink, and the Whopper doesn't for $4.50, then if I want fries and a drink...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM
terrycs

Personally, I would rather have a flat torque curve...
I agree ... although I will not say I am an expert in FI, I have a feeling a supercharger is by design optimized for the low end making it limited at the higher RPM ranges that the HR runs best at.

The lower torque on an HR also lends itself well to the durability of the powertrain.

Typical TT curves on an HR motor:

Name:  GTMTT-9PSI-5AT.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  38.9 KB

Yes, more is available for daring.

Last edited by terrycs; 05-24-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:07 PM
doug

You spend your money how you like. Personally, I would rather have a flat torque curve. You like big numbers? Cool. There's a solution for you out there somewhere. I'll take useful over big power any day.

In your analogy, if the Whopper Jr. is $4 and comes with fries and a drink, and the Whopper doesn't for $4.50, then if I want fries and a drink...
are you kidding me? this has nothing to do with big numbers.. it has to do with value for a dollar

and your explanation of my analogy with fries and a drink makes absolutely no sense..

let me break it down for you since you didn't get it

Stillen SC (DE) - $5,000 - 303whp
Whopper Jr - $4

Greddy TT (DE) - $6,000 - 360whp
Double Whooper - $4.50

Stillen SC(DE) w/ full bolt-ons & cams = 330whp
Whopper Jr - 100% eaten

Greddy TT (DE) - no change out the box = 360whp
Double Whopper - 25% eaten

Senario: Hungry for more power

Sold Stillen SC = +$2000
New Greddy TT = $6,000 - $2,000(Used Stillen SC) $4,000

GreddyTT done wrong = $4,000 + $5,000 = $9,000 Spent
GreddyTT done right = $5,000 (turns up boost for more power)

I am really sad that i had to break this down to you this way.. i thought you would have figured that out the first time.. again.. this has nothing to do with big numbers.. it has to do with value for your dollar..

if the Stillen SC was $3,000 total with hood out the door.. i wouldn't tell everyone it was a waste of money..

Again.. it boils down to if you like wasting money.. thats good for you

FYI: i have a pretty flat TQ curve
Old 05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still take the HR.
I was being sarcastic btw.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 AM
QNman

I agree ... although I will not say I am an expert in FI, I have a feeling a supercharger is by design optimized for the low end making it limited at the higher RPM ranges that the HR runs best at.

The lower torque on an HR also lends itself well to the durability of the powertrain.

Typical TT curves on an HR motor:

Yes, more is available for daring.
I'll admit that curve is flatter than I thought it would be. But low-end grunt is what I like.

Quick Reply: Stillen Super Charger for the HR?