Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Lakeside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue with Proof is the cost associated with it....

If I had the extra cash I would surely dyno after every bolt-on!!! But I'd rather save that cash towards the next mod. Has anyone ever seen the thread comparing the stock HR headers to the Stillen headers?! Does anyone here realize the Diameter differance between the two headers? Also the HR headers are not equal length headers. You will never make the 300+ WHP mark without the headers. Its a fact! Suck it up and swallow it whole baby.

There are gains with the Injen intakes. Dyno's show it above 5000-5500 rpm.

Bolt-on affect AFR! A tune should always be done afterwards. Another reason why its easier to do several Bolt-ons at once. Rather then having to do several dynos/tunes and wasting time.

Time = Money

Last edited by Lakeside; 09-10-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny how people always say " Headers are not worth the money for such small gains"... But no one ever admits that it does gain power without the previous statement following right behind it.

Originally Posted by Lakeside

If I had the extra cash I would surely dyno after every bolt-on!!! But I'd rather save that cash towards the next mod. Has anyone ever seen the thread comparing the stock HR headers to the Stillen headers?! Does anyone here realize the Diameter differance between the two headers? Also the HR headers are not equal length headers. You will never make the 300+ WHP mark without the headers. Its a fact! Suck it up and swallow it whole baby.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeside

There are gains with the Injen intakes. Dyno's show it above 5000-5500 rpm.

Bolt-on affect AFR! A tune should always be done afterwards. Another reason why its easier to do several Bolt-ons at once. Rather then having to do several dynos/tunes and wasting time.

Time = Money
For the most part, this is true.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TheOtherRob

Here is some reading on some of the intakes listed on page 1 and why they dont make power: http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=160

Here is a dyno chart of gains from the Injen takes: http://www.zcarblog.com/2008/11/26/p...o-figures.html
Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM
krono

well i dont know about you guys but i research the hell out of anythign im going to buy, this post was kind of a rant for me cause every single person i have read up on that got the injen CAI has said either they felt no gains or feel liek they would produce more gain by returning to stock, obviously i havent gotten 100+ reviews so it may not be 100% accurate but when you see a handful of peopel saying the same thing you start to doubt what people advertise.

the reason i even looked into the injens is be cause it seems to be the main choice peopel are going with so i figured if there would be some gains then it should be coming from these in particular.

Once im done doing all the other bolt ons i may look into getting the injens regardless of what has been posted simply because i feel like the car wouldnt be complete without an intake mod and if/when i do i will dyno before and after. . . unfortunately due to all the other bolt ons i have it could mean that i experience gains because of the other bolt ons, it will not yeild results from stock straight to intake.. . . at least i will be helping out hose who have similar bolt ons.

Lake side mentioned headers and peopel saying they arent worth the money i hate to burst anyones bubble but i actually have an excel spreadsheet that calculates $/HP ratio and headers are not a waste of money, almost each mod is in the ball park in terms of price to hp gains.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
redline06

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
My experience with Injen CAI's is all positive. I go through my gears quicker. It sounds mean. Looks good. Feels good...

With stock air boxes, in 1st gear at 3,000rpm i would be at 14mph. (5,300 ft elevation)

With Injen CAI's, in 1st gear at 3,000 rpm i would be at 18mph. (5,300ft elevation)

Yeah, not THAT big of a difference, but there IS change. And the benefit will increase when i get a tune.

Is it worth the money?!?!? Only the buyer can decide that... It was worth it to me. But what do i know, i'm just human.

hahaha i cant believe no1 but 1 other person commented on this
there is no way that any mod besides gears or taller tires that can make what u have described happen.
but yea an intake doesnt give you taller gears . dont mean to sound like a d!ck if ur taking it that way .
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
biggersNISMO

^^^ I'm just describing what happened to me. I'm not taking your opinion in a bad way. I just wanted to state my experience with the Injen Intakes. That's all. I saw real results
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
^^^ I'm just describing what happened to me. I'm not taking your opinion in a bad way. I just wanted to state my experience with the Injen Intakes. That's all. I saw real results
What they are saying is that it's mechanically/physically impossible for your speed @ rpm in gear, to change by adding or subtracting power from the engine.

First gear in the 2007-2008 350Z, goes up to ~48mph, at redline. No matter how much power you add to the car, top speed in 1st gear will still be ~48mph. The same holds true for whatever gear you are in. It's a linear relationship at every gear, and every speed.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
ChanceWarren

Ugh. If you guys (read: Rob) would read the thread, I SAID a tune was needed to see gains. Obviously any bod that changed the nature of your air flow or fuel flow would affect you afr. That's precicely what I'm saying. And yes I stand by my statement. If you aftermarket CAI causes you to lose power across the band, "you musta did su'in wrong." these companies wouldn't stay in business selling products that yealded a negative result.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
Ugh. If you guys (read: Rob) would read the thread, I SAID a tune was needed to see gains. Obviously any bod that changed the nature of your air flow or fuel flow would affect you afr. That's precicely what I'm saying. And yes I stand by my statement. If you aftermarket CAI causes you to lose power across the band, "you musta did su'in wrong." these companies wouldn't stay in business selling products that yealded a negative result.

Did you read that first link? Same day, same dyno, and most of them provided a slight loss in power. Now, if someone had the time and money to tune with and without those intakes, then I guess you would have a better answer. Either way, Injens show results on the dyno and most of the other dont.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
krono

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
I wrote an epic reply to this on my iPhone and guess what. . . It went byebye lol. Anyways basic point I wanted to make isthe companies that make intakes don't get big or go under selling intakes for 07-08 z's so don't be surprised if they lie about gains. I don't know any company that doesn't lie that is in sales. That post that someone put with a blog that mentioned the intake showing gains is finally a concrete piece of info but if that's true then why do most feel loss or nothing. I'm sorry to say it but a 10whp gain which is what the link claimed is a big difference you should definately feel.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
TheOtherRob

Another thing to consider is that everyones car is different. I have seen cars dyno more than me with the same mods. And let's not even
get into the different dyno debate. I reaserch all my parts also and that's why I bought the injens. And I have been enjoying them ever since.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
krono

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
Another thing to consider is that everyones car is different. I have seen cars dyno more than me with the same mods. And let's not even
get into the different dyno debate. I reaserch all my parts also and that's why I bought the injens. And I have been enjoying them ever since.
in your case it could be due to different tuning, if you tuned at all. also how well they were installed, wear and tear of your engine, etc etc.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
gerryg2153

Originally Posted by krono
in your case it could be due to different tuning, if you tuned at all. also how well they were installed, wear and tear of your engine, etc etc.
Sorry, you cant accept the numbers common finding that the Injen CAI produce gains - others have posted before and after dyno that show a gain of 10+whp. . . and you know I beleive them - I replaced my K&N's and the dyno showed a gain of 10 whp . . . Cant really speak to the honesty of other brands, but for the Injen's - they gave exactly what they said. . . .

But considering that you are complaining about something you dont have and appear to have no first hand knowledge of . . . and several people support their claim . . . backed up by dynos. . . .

this is really all kind of funny. . .
Old 09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gerryg2153
Sorry, you cant accept the numbers common finding that the Injen CAI produce gains - others have posted before and after dyno that show a gain of 10+whp. . . and you know I beleive them - I replaced my K&N's and the dyno showed a gain of 10 whp . . . Cant really speak to the honesty of other brands, but for the Injen's - they gave exactly what they said. . . .

But considering that you are complaining about something you dont have and appear to have no first hand knowledge of . . . and several people support their claim . . . backed up by dynos. . . .

Bingo.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 PM
krono

Originally Posted by gerryg2153

i dont know whos complaining and id be more than happy to see "peoples" dynos cause the only things i have seen people posting in the hr section is how unhappy they are with them and the one "blog" someone posted. . . sory im not looking for blogs of things on the internet. on a side note, no **** i dont have them smart guy, i made that very clear in every post ive made so i dont see why you wold mention that with your little passive aggressive thread.

now that i feel i have minorly defended myself if you have a dyno to show i would love to see it, honestly thats why i made the thread, hence the title "HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)"

if you can prove me wrong trust me i would love to know cause i would love nothing more than to have one more NA piece to upgrade. since the beginning of the controversy about intakeds providing gain i have always wondered, why "wouldnt" they provide gains, since im not an expert i wouldnever dare say they do or dont hence again why the thread even exist.

the smart people who have read this thread no i was hinting towards the injen CAI's in particular but i didnt feel like targeting a single intake just in cse someone had gains with any intake in particular, but ive noticed that everyone is saying the only intake they have used and gotten gains has been in fact the injens but as the same token most of the other post ive read and users ive asked said no gains so in my eyes nothign has been proven or disproven which is why i think this thread is still alive.

so back to topic post the dyno i'd love to see it, if not it still seems like they are a 500$ loss performance wise. I'm half def so sound doesnt mean jack to me

edit: ps dont bash me so hard im sensitive <3

Last edited by krono; 09-11-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh good. Finally a intake thread.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM
krono

Originally Posted by davidv
Oh good. Finally a intake thread.
i smell sarcasm, i has seen your postes. you are cans be instigator?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:49 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by krono
i smell sarcasm, i has seen your postes. you are cans be instigator?
Translation needed. .
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM
krono

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Translation needed. .

lets just say usually he doesnt make threads go in a positive direction if im not mistaking him with someone else

edit: i retract this statement i think i confused him with someone else but i still smell sarcasm =P

Last edited by krono; 09-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)