Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Lakeside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I should install just the Cams and dyno tune or go all out and install the Injen intakes, Cams and Dyno tune.

I'm sure the Cam's would benefit from having the CAI's installed but I can't really afford to differentiate the gains between just the Cam's verse the Cam's and intakes. I always just want to get things done and drive my 4 hrs home and be done with it. We don't have access to UPREV tuner's close to home. BLOWS

edit: Its obvious I won't beable to.. Next tune will be intakes & cams. I'll scan & post the Dyno before and after.

Last edited by Lakeside; 09-11-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM
jace350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had UPREV tune mine, he said you
should tune it as soon as you put a CAI on. That it will lean out, and in my case mine was real lean. Quoting uprev. " I have never seen it that bad before, dangerously lean" My 2 cents
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Tune for best results!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:06 AM
brady

I'm thinking the Injen intake I have should help me at the track (strip and course) while the vehicle is in motion. The Injen intake tubes get extremely hot during dyno pulls so heat shield wrap should help. Just got to keep it moving.

For stock air boxes the HR comes with some of the best I've seen. Designed to be safe for the engine, easy to maintain and on the higher end of efficient. Hard to beat the engineers at Nissan.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that K&N drop ins for the stock air boxes would yield the same results if not better results on a dyno then any aftermarket HR NA intake. While the car is moving though the injens would probably have an advantage due to the way they are engineered, to deliver the air more efficiently to the engine. We all know the motor is just a big air pump, more efficiencies in the system will provide more power. Getting the air in and out as efficiently as possible is obviously critical when trying to improve the HR performance (intake/headers). Doing this safely (relative term) is challenging.

If you're on a budget, skip the CAI and just get drop ins. Mythical 16+ whp just on NA CAI alone do not exist for the HR.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:16 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just off an educated guess Id assume the only reason Injens show a gain on the dyno vs others is because their outside the engine bay(As was stated before)

When the car is in motion tons of cool air will get to any intake in the stock location.(Stock box, aem, nismo, jwt whatever.)

I dont understand why we keep having discussions on this. A dyno is great and all but it cant replicate the airflow when your moving at 60 mph.

I cant see an intake tube that is a foot longer then another intake tube being more of a power maker. Id even guess that it may hamper throttle response.

BTW,I got my nismo intakes because they were cheap and look cool under the hood.

Edit: Also I dont see how any of these intakes(with a tune) Can produce less then stock power levels, You're getting rid of baffles and airflow impedence. Its not rocket science. And I'm not talking about a dyno. I'm talking about at the track.

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 09-12-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 AM
ChanceWarren

Finally, someone speaking sense!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
Finally, someone speaking sense!
I love how you think now someone is making sense when I said the same thing on page one.

Yes, I did tune after installing all my bolt on's. The reason that those intakes you mentioned dont seem to produce gains on a dyno is because the filters are located right inside the hot engine bay sucking in hot air. The injens have the advantage of being located out into the front bumper out of the engine bay. Just because an intake does not make power on a dyno does not mean that its not making power when the car is moving at say 60mph. Now, if you are happy with spending money on the AEM or JWT intake and not seeing gains or very minimal gains on the dyno, then that choice is yours. I believe that the only dual intakes that have made some power on a dyno were the injens. Read any HR NA power thread and everyone is either running the injens or the filters on oem intakes.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Does anyone besides me have the original Stillen intakes? Has anyone ever dyno'd them?

I bought them because they were the only ones out at the time. However I can't help but think they might be slightly helpful, it isn't much of a change from stock, just more filter surface really.

I have no butt dyno stories, honestly they sound great and that is about it. Just curious because all anyone ever talks about are the Injen, AEM and Nismo intakes.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
gerryg2153

Here are the dyno sheets before and after

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4519...ml#post7670360

And as for the arguement that K&N drop ins are just as effective. . . .
I'd say no, as my baseline dyno was with K&N's - The Injen CAI boosted it about 12whp . . . . and assuming that the K&N's bettered the stock filters by what ever they claim. . . . . Hmmm maybe they lie too ? ? ?

I probably wouldnt spend my last $600 on them - but at least for me, (imo) they do what they said. . . and besides I like the way they look. . .
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM
krono

Originally Posted by gerryg2153
Here are the dyno sheets before and after

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4519...ml#post7670360

And as for the arguement that K&N drop ins are just as effective. . . .
I'd say no, as my baseline dyno was with K&N's - The Injen CAI boosted it about 12whp . . . . and assuming that the K&N's bettered the stock filters by what ever they claim. . . . . Hmmm maybe they lie too ? ? ?

I probably wouldnt spend my last $600 on them - but at least for me, (imo) they do what they said. . . and besides I like the way they look. . .
good numbers, thanks for bringing something concrete. they are actually selling these for $441 at the moment which i think makes it a very reasonable and good mod to do at that price.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by KS0385
Uhhhh is this even possible? Am I missing something or wouldn't you have to change the gear ratios to accomplish a change in speed at the same RPM in the same Gear?
The answer to your question is yes. You are correct. You'd have to change gear ratios to accomplish a speed change at a given RPM. That's pretty elementary. This thread is FULL of BS claims and misinformation.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
kakashishin

I have the stillen intakes too because they were the only ones out at the time and I love them. I did feel a hp increase when I got them and no I didn't get it dyno'd when I first got them to get a baseline.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
The answer to your question is yes. You are correct. You'd have to change gear ratios to accomplish a speed change at a given RPM. That's pretty elementary. This thread is FULL of BS claims and misinformation.

Maybe he is stating at a given throttle position, that the cars speed increased?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Boba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See millions of these threads already. How about we All chip in $10and we can do a same day dyno to see if you really gain hp? I highly doubt manufacturers will lie about the gains, or else consumers can easily
sue them for false advertising. I'm an injen cai owner and I will conclude that I do feel s difference, a little pull, at around 5.5k. I have coworkers that drove car before and after the installation who commented
on the different feel after suspecting that I had added
srthing to my car. it costs $500 to get the
intake whic is not cheap, I'm sure injen isn't that stupid
to get out of
business so soon. They put in days and weeks of Ed into developing their
products, and if it doesn't produce at least some form
of
gains, then they will halt the project. This is from my own personal experience
with the head of Ed at injen. Sry for the grammatical errors as on my cell posting this
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
TheOtherRob

We have a member here and on SFZCC that will be installing the Injens on his 07 soon and he will be doing a before and after, same day, same dyno.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
cginc

I did 281 when I got my HR tuned.

- Invidia Q300 Exhaust
- Injen Dual Intakes
- Uprev tune

I also recommend 4.08 gears on the HR, its much funner now ;-)
Attached Thumbnails HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)-z.jpg   HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)-dyno.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
nerdyjoe

Well this is interesting. I have a 2008 base model 350z and I was just about to drop some money getting the headers, cat-back exhuast, and intake all from Nismo. I wanted to purchase from them to make sure I keep my warranty. Its hard for me to believe that Nismo could lie about HP gains...? I hate threads like this that go back and forth on the idea that it does/does not work. I only say this as I am a newb and have never modded a car before or even owned one that was worth modding. Shoot, I dont know what to do now

If anyone has any reliable information they can link me I would appriciate it. These forums are the only place I know of to go get information.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by nerdyjoe
Well this is interesting. I have a 2008 base model 350z and I was just about to drop some money getting the headers, cat-back exhuast, and intake all from Nismo. I wanted to purchase from them to make sure I keep my warranty. Its hard for me to believe that Nismo could lie about HP gains...? I hate threads like this that go back and forth on the idea that it does/does not work. I only say this as I am a newb and have never modded a car before or even owned one that was worth modding. Shoot, I dont know what to do now

If anyone has any reliable information they can link me I would appriciate it. These forums are the only place I know of to go get information.
You can read the first link I posted, it has testing on different intakes. The AEM and Nismo are the same intake. Your not going to lose your warranty for simple bolt on's like that. The only way a dealer can deny you warranty is if the aftermarket part was the cause for the problem. Plus if you pay for Nismo parts and have the dealer install them "so that it will be under warranty" your going to end up paying alot of money for dealer labor and inflated pricing.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin

I lol'd.

Quick Reply: HR gains from intake? (still false advertising?)