Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are there any other mods besides the intake?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
red350track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stillen HFC/Stillen True Dual
Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Lakeside

diablox1 has leaned his car out. I experienced this after installing just HFC's and Dual exhaust. Lost alot of low to mid range power. Which was restored after tuning.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup. tune coming very soon. I was gonna wait a bit but i think ill do it pretty soon now. very happy with the intakes though.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 AM
acharney

Default Stillen Generation 3 intake on VQ35HR = win!

Ok, so I have the results everyone has been waiting for, and they are very impressive to say the least. First let me start off by saying that I was honestly fairly skeptical about these intakes gaining 20whp, but went into this with an open mind. I decided to have this install done right, and drove to Atlanta (3.5 hrs away) to have it installed and tuned at Forged Performance, which I must say is absolutely a top notch shop. I just wish that the whole experience of bringing any car to have work done at a shop was one tenth this good.

Hats off to Sharif and the whole gang. From the minute I walked in, I was impressed with the whole vibe of the shop. I mean, Sharif and Sandy are so nice and down to earth, and cool. But most importantly, one can tell the genuine interest Sharif and the whole crew have in doing the best job they (or anyone for that matter) possibly can. They are obviously really into their craft/art and top notch. You can tell that they treat everyones cars like their own and genuinely want to make them the best they possibly can, and they are willing to put in lots of extra time and whatever it takes to get the job done right. Sharif worked well over the time what any normal mechanic would have put in, and ended up squeezing an extra 15whp out of my car by taking the time to tune. You can tell he loves what he does, and does it well. By the time we were done I am happy to say that according the Sharif, my HR is putting the highest numbers down for my mods that he has seen yet from an HR. So on to the numbers.

When I got into the shop in the morning, we did a base dyno which put down 245 HP and torque of about 224. Now keep in mind this is the “Heartbreaker” Dyno Dynamics dyno, so these numbers are about right for my mods -which at that point were only Fast Intentions Intimidator TD exhaust and Crawford HFC. Then they started the install of the intakes. I also had Stillen headers to be installed as well. After about seven hours of work (mostly for the headers) the headers and intakes were done. Then it was off to the dyno.

The first dyno run after the headers and intake were installed was quite impressive to say the least; 275.2 HP and 241TQ! That was an immediate gain of 30.2 HP and 17 TQ from just headers and intake. We were all pretty amazed at the horsepower increase. I didn't expect that kind of increase at all. Then the tuning started and after Sharif spent a good two hours of really hard work he squeezed about another 15 HP out of it for a total of 290.1 HP and just over 250 torque. So all in all with the Stillen headers, Gen. 3 intakes, and a tune I gained 45 WHP and 26 in torque. Now keep in mind this is a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Now I don't know too much about dynos other than they all read different, and the Dyno Dynamics notoriously reads low. From what I have read online I believe that if we were to dyno my car on a DynoJet it would be around 315HP. If I remember correctly I think Sharif said a stock 370z puts down roughly 255HP on their dyno.

So in conclusion I think it is fair to say the Stillen Gen 3 intakes are the top gaining intakes at this point in time for the HR. I know it is hard to say exactly where the gains were between the headers and intakes because they were installed at the same time, but even if we are conservative in the distribution of the HP I believe the Stillen intakes still beat out the Injens in performance gain, and it would also mean the headers are all the more worth it to do... And I must say the intakes look great as well.

So hats off to Stillen for producing some really sweet intakes! And I also just have to say that Forged Performance is a (if not THE) top notch shop for anyone wanting mods done on our cars, they go well beyond what I was expecting. Definitely worth the three and a half hour drive from Nashville. What an awesome weekend!

I think I am done with mods for a while now (again, famous last words). But I know I will probably be driving to Atlanta when the time comes for more... Photos are to follow...

Last edited by acharney; 10-26-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
ordinaryme

WoW!!! That's really sweet! I was thinking about getting injen intakes but maybe this is the best bet. Those headers are really temptating too! Get some sound clips and pictures! HR ftw
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 AM
acharney

Default Dyno

Here are the dyno results

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
acharney

Default More photos...

Last edited by acharney; 11-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
klaze1

buying these today, thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Lakeside

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Alot went into these gains not just the Stillen intakes!!!

The Headers alone with a tune & exhaust will net you serious gains IMHO! The intakes yes indeed helped some! But its hard to say what gains they provided! Its not like you installed the headers & had the car tuned. Followed by installing the Stillen Gen 3 intakes followed by another tune and dyno

So in conclusion! This proved nothing!

I will have Injen gains this week. Having intakes installed. Followed by another tune! I should be able to post before and after dyno's! My before dyno was in early June when I had the car tuned. Temps will be alittle cooler this time around but I'd say only by 10-15degrees. Humidity was relatively low back in June as well.

Awesome gains none the less man. Congrats!!! I know you can feel there differance in performance now.

Kris

Last edited by Lakeside; 10-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
klaze1

hfc + exhaust and he was at 245, headers intake + tune got him an additional 45whp, i think its safe to say that these intakes def made a big difference even though its not an independent dyno of the intake.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

true we can't say that headers, that we have concluded wasn't a good buy by itself. Together with long tube intakes made a helleva difference...

45whp

You know it might have been too much trouble for the shop...time and all..
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

true we can't say that headers, that we have concluded wasn't a good buy by itself. Together with long tube intakes made a helleva difference...

45whp

You know it might have been too much trouble for the shop...time and all..
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Thanks for making the long trip down! It was definately a long day for all of us, but it was actually a lot of fun too! Your car is such a clean Nismo...baddass.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
sandy@forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Your car is one of the nicest nismo 350Z i saw in the shop :-)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
NISMO_558

So, still no independant dyno's on just the intakes?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
acharney

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Alot went into these gains not just the Stillen intakes!!!

The Headers alone with a tune & exhaust will net you serious gains IMHO! The intakes yes indeed helped some! But its hard to say what gains they provided! Its not like you installed the headers & had the car tuned. Followed by installing the Stillen Gen 3 intakes followed by another tune and dyno

So in conclusion! This proved nothing!

I will have Injen gains this week. Having intakes installed. Followed by another tune! I should be able to post before and after dyno's! My before dyno was in early June when I had the car tuned. Temps will be alittle cooler this time around but I'd say only by 10-15degrees. Humidity was relatively low back in June as well.

Awesome gains none the less man. Congrats!!! I know you can feel there differance in performance now.

Kris
Yes, ultimately doing a dyno after each piece would give us a detailed account of what parts gained what. But this would have been very hard to squeeze into a days work (which we did), and also more expensive. Keep in mind that dynoing on the same day (and same dyno) is apparently also a very important factor.

Regardless, this does show that somehow between the headers and intake it gained around 30WHP. You can break that up however you want, whether the headers made 15 and the intakes 15, headers 5 and intakes 25, or headers 10 and intakes 20, we don't know. But from what I have read from other posts it seems doubtful that the headers gained all that much, and I would lean towards the intake producing most of the gains. But in either case I think it's fair to say the intakes are pretty darn good.

Now another thought came to mind as I was writing this. That is, the headers and intake could have gained a little more on my car than they might have on a stock HR, because I already had high flow cats and TD exhaust. I suppose those previous mods could have contributed to the intake and headers gaining slightly more than on a stock car (no TD exhaust or HFC). And maybe they also could have caused the exhaust and HFC to gain a little more. I would think everything contributes to everything else, but I don't know. Maybe someone can shed a little light on this? I am by no means a mechanic. But regardless, I was at 245WHP and then installed the headers and intake and was at 275. Then a tune and I'm at 290. I'll take it!

And yes, it does feel a lot stronger too!

Last edited by acharney; 10-26-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
acharney

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Thanks for making the long trip down! It was definately a long day for all of us, but it was actually a lot of fun too! Your car is such a clean Nismo...baddass.
Originally Posted by Sandy@Forged
Your car is one of the nicest nismo 350Z i saw in the shop :-)
Thanks Sherif and Sandy! I definitely try to take care of my car because I love it! I felt like a kid in a candy store at your shop, you guys certainly have a handful of beauties too! Maybe some day I will be back for the twin turbo... ;-)
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Lakeside

Originally Posted by acharney
Regardless, this does show that somehow between the headers and intake it gained around 30WHP. You can break that up however you want, whether the headers made 15 and the intakes 15, headers 5 and intakes 25, or headers 10 and intakes 20, we don't know. But from what I have read from other posts it seems doubtful that the headers gained all that much, and I would lean towards the intake producing most of the gains. But in either case I think it's fair to say the intakes are pretty darn good.

Now another thought came to mind as I was writing this. That is, the headers and intake could have gained a little more on my car than they might have on a stock HR, because I already had high flow cats and TD exhaust. I suppose those previous mods could have contributed to the intake and headers gaining slightly more than on a stock car (no TD exhaust or HFC). And maybe they also could have caused the exhaust and HFC to gain a little more. I would think everything contributes to everything else, but I don't know. Maybe someone can shed a little light on this? I am by no means a mechanic. But regardless, I was at 245WHP and then installed the headers and intake and was at 275. Then a tune and I'm at 290. I'll take it!

And yes, it does feel a lot stronger too!
Somehow your failing to realize how large of a part the tune plays in those gains. I would never say the intakes Net 15 whp and that the headers net 15 whp. If I had to take a guess I'd say...

Headers - 10-12 WHP
Intakes - 8-10 WHP
Tune - 12-14 WHP

That would be realistic! Believe me I know the costs and time involved. I've been down this road. Not saying what you did is wrong. Not in anyway! I did the samething due to costs and time. Just trying not to mislead anyone here!

I should be picking up my car today from Performance Motorsports. Unfortunately, Its raining today and I have roughly a 4 hr drive home with the Niz

I should have pretty true gains with the Injens to report back with this week. Looking forward to that.

The Injen CAI's are the only new engine Mod to my car since last tune and dyno which was a cool May/June morning with no humidity. With any luck the temps will be on the dyno sheets.

Last edited by Lakeside; 10-27-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
NISMO_558

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Headers - 10-12 WHP

Quick Reply: Stillen Generation 3 long tube intake for VQHR